I'm looking for a drumset and I came upon this one, and it seems like the best option right now. I play thrash metal & hard rock, but mostly thrash metal. I know it's gonna needed modification, that's what I need help with.

Tama Imperialstar 6-Piece Drum Set with Cymbals

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/tama-imperialstar-6-piece-drum-set-with-cymbals

They also have the same kit with one less tom for $100 less.
First Question: Save $100 and get the 5-piece, and get a tom add on?

CYMBALS: I plan on buying the cymbals as I go, but buying a few right off the bat too. The ones with the kit will be basic, and maybe I could use one or two of em. I doubt it though.
What kind of cymbals are a must, to get the sound I'm looking for?
I'm gonna use: 1 Hi-Hat, 1 Ride (Possibly 2, if necessary), 2-3 crashes, 1 splash (if that), and 1-2 Chinas. I heard the Paiste Rude was good, so I definitely wanna get that.

SNARE: Also, what would be a better snare than the stock snare? (I'm gonna buy this after I try the stock one out.)

DRUMHEADS: Another question is about heads for the toms and the kick. I heard Evans were good for the toms, and an EMAD? was good for the bass drums. Also, I need advice on what a good double bass pedal would be.

If any other things I didn't mention apply, you can add too. Like I said, this will be my first kit, and I don't really know anything about equipment, but I would love to have a good kit. I'm about intermediate skilled, if not a little under, because I don't own my own kit to play everyday. I jam with a friend, and he plays guitar. I want a good first kit to last, and be good enough. If you can help, thank you.
Quote by zach.vidal.98
I'm looking for a drumset and I came upon this one, and it seems like the best option right now. I play thrash metal & hard rock, but mostly thrash metal. I know it's gonna needed modification, that's what I need help with.

Tama Imperialstar 6-Piece Drum Set with Cymbals

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/drums-percussion/tama-imperialstar-6-piece-drum-set-with-cymbals

They also have the same kit with one less tom for $100 less.
First Question: Save $100 and get the 5-piece, and get a tom add on?

CYMBALS: I plan on buying the cymbals as I go, but buying a few right off the bat too. The ones with the kit will be basic, and maybe I could use one or two of em. I doubt it though.
What kind of cymbals are a must, to get the sound I'm looking for?
I'm gonna use: 1 Hi-Hat, 1 Ride (Possibly 2, if necessary), 2-3 crashes, 1 splash (if that), and 1-2 Chinas. I heard the Paiste Rude was good, so I definitely wanna get that.

SNARE: Also, what would be a better snare than the stock snare? (I'm gonna buy this after I try the stock one out.)

DRUMHEADS: Another question is about heads for the toms and the kick. I heard Evans were good for the toms, and an EMAD? was good for the bass drums. Also, I need advice on what a good double bass pedal would be.

If any other things I didn't mention apply, you can add too. Like I said, this will be my first kit, and I don't really know anything about equipment, but I would love to have a good kit. I'm about intermediate skilled, if not a little under, because I don't own my own kit to play everyday. I jam with a friend, and he plays guitar. I want a good first kit to last, and be good enough. If you can help, thank you.

I'll start this off by telling you the same thing i tell everyone. Before you commit to buying this kit..... shop the used market first. You may be able to come away with a better (and bigger) kit for the same price.

The stock snare on the Imperialstar kit is decent, you'll be able to hang with it for a while. The thing that's gonna need replacing first are your ride and hi hat cymbals. The crashes you can live with for a little longer.

The cymbals that come with these things are usually like Meinl HCS cymbals or something. So, really... that should be your first upgrade. As for the type of cymbals you need to get a good thrash metal sound.... you want a cymbal that has good articulation (a nice, defined bell sound is always a plus too) and a fast response. Beyond that all i can tell you is do not buy cymbals off of the internet. The way they are made, there are too many irregularities between cymbals of the same series. So just because you like that sound sample of a 20" Zildjian Sweet Ride on their website doesn't mean you'll like the sound of the one that arrives at your door. Always buy cymbals in person, and if the shop won't let you test the cymbal.... go elsewhere.
If you go tama.. I heard the silverstars are a great bang for the buck. I think less is more. I would go with a 4pc kit
I wouldn't get that kit. I like 'Second Rate' has said would shop the used market. In my experience Evans drum heads wear out a bit faster then Remo. At beginner to intermediate level, it is NOT worth spending big money on a kit. Any kit will sound good with the toms and snare tuned correctly. If I were you I would stay away from these machine pressed cymbals too, they may look pretty and be meinl but I gauretnee you they sound like a trash can lid.

I personally would recommend to a new comer to owning a kit to go with either Stagg or Wuhan cymbals. They are cheap HANDMADE cymbals. Once you get into the whole kit thing you will realise that you only really want to be going with Handmade cymbals. Cymbals like toms and snares all sound good when tuned correctly, in this case not machine pressed. if you are a metal guy it may be worth shelling out the extra cash for some Sabian AAX cymbals as I have found these to be rather thick and capable of taking a beating, especially your china cymbal.

So if I were you I would do either of the following:

A) Buy a local kit used with cymbals, make sure you check it out before you buy it and run your hand around all of the edges of the cymbals to check for cracks. Any cracked cymbal is doomed unless you are extremely lucky where the crack will sometimes crack back out, anyway point being don't buy cracked cymbals.

B) Buy a local kit used and buy wuhan or stagg cymbals new online. You may need to buy stands for these so make sure you get everything checked out. (Owning a kit isn't like owning a guitar, you have a lot to take into consideration but this will come with time.

In summary, 70% of the tone is coming out of your drum heads, so make sure you buy some new heads, Evans or Remo will do the job, I personally am not really fussed and usually try out new heads all the time, in my experience Remo Ambassadors are pretty well rounded. I would also recommend tuning your snare drum rather tight so that you can hear all of the imperfections in your playing, with time you will be able to loosen it off but as a beginner this will help. Make sure the kit isn't damaged, seriously these things are big and it's not a surprise to find one that has been poorly looked after. But whatever you do don't fall into the trap of buying a new kit as a beginner / intermediate player. A working low end drum kit is just as easy to play as a high end one and a good player will make both of them sound good. I wouldn't buy a new kit unless it was top of the range and I was going into the studio, so save yourself some money. I would recommend having decent Cymbal stands as low end stands really piss me off and also get a comfy stool as this is actually more important than you would think. Don't waste your money and don't think you will ever be "done" with your kit, there is always more money you can blow on it.

Peace out
Look used on your local Craigslist and see if you can find a PDP maple set. Usually you can pick them up for ~$350 and it will last you a long time. Hell, if you're willing to go a little higher, you could probably find a Tama Starclassic Performer (birch) kit for ~$600. Use the rest of the money you save over the Tama you're looking at to buy some used pro-level cymbals right off the bat (Zildjian A Custom, Sabian AAX, Meinl MB20, etc.).

Unless for some reason you can't buy used, you're just throwing away a ton of money on that kit that will be eventually lost when you try to sell off the kits, or parts of it, after upgrading.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
Look used on your local Craigslist and see if you can find a PDP maple set. Usually you can pick them up for ~$350 and it will last you a long time. Hell, if you're willing to go a little higher, you could probably find a Tama Starclassic Performer (birch) kit for ~$600. Use the rest of the money you save over the Tama you're looking at to buy some used pro-level cymbals right off the bat (Zildjian A Custom, Sabian AAX, Meinl MB20, etc.).

Unless for some reason you can't buy used, you're just throwing away a ton of money on that kit that will be eventually lost when you try to sell off the kits, or parts of it, after upgrading.

Why would you comment something that the previous 2 comments explained far more in depth o_0
you want a cymbal that has excellent connection (a awesome, described gong audio is always a plus too) and a quick reaction. Beyond that all i can tell you is do not buy cymbals off of the world wide web.