Hi community,

I'm new here, and i'm going to buy my first real electric guitar (after a crafter cruiser, thath was actually a toy). I'm 21 italian engineering student, and i'm restarting play after 4 year stop. My ability in guitar playing can't be defined good, but i want to restart my adventure trough guitar's world with a good (but non too much expensive) instrument. After a quite long sorting icame to the conclusion that i have to pick for my next guitar in these three different choice:
My buget is about €300/350

1) Squier Calssic Vibe Stratocaster '50 (€330)

2) Yamaha Pacifica 311H (€250)

3) Epiphone SG G400 (€300)

Which of these guitars are a good choice for a beginner? I want something really versatile, because my style is not already defined (but i like old style wha wha classic rock, I hope I was clear). I also checked for PACIFICA 510 but i don't know if that Seymour Duncan is the right choice for a biginner.

Of course, if you have other suggestion just say it

Hope my english was not too trivial!
i haven't tried any of those (this is going well )

i dunno that the 510 would be a massive problem for a beginner, just you don't have a neck pickup with that model.

an HSS strat/superstrat is normally pretty versatile. i'm not really seeing any (from a cursory look at thomann) in your pricerange, though, there are either cheaper things (yamaha pacifica 112 or 212) or dearer
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hey,
I actually have a pacifica and learned on one. But at that price point, I wouldn't recommend it. I would recommend instead an Ibanez RG350dx or equivalent model if you can get one. The neck on the pacifica is very unpleasant, and it will need to have the frets sanded down.

The single coils are fairly awful, and i find the INF single coil on the Ibanez to be far better.. The neck is also far smoother and its much better made. I got one from Guitar Center for $179.99 a couple of weeks ago. i personally find HSH to be far more versatile than SSH or HH since low cost single coils tend to be very brittle sounding.

I would recommend against the SG since its going to be far less versatile than SSH or HSH and the shape can take some getting used to. Also, its enjoyable to have 24 frets instead of 22, especially if you decide to play any metal or modern rock.

As far as the pacifica, I really couldn't recommend a soapbar + humbucker combination to a beginner who doesn't know their genre. Thats definitely designed for blues, some classic rock, but not really anything heavier.

Squiers are really nice instruments for the price, especially their better series like affinity and vibe. That said, they aren't extremely versatile, you're going to struggle to pull harmonics from the single coils and they are really only suited to going into crunch, i wouldnt reccomend them for heavy rock. 21 Frets is also fairly limiting and the neck quality on squiers can be very very iffy or very very good depending upon specific model.

Schecter Tempest Customs go used for $150 and are excellent guitars if you dont mind a slightly thicker neck. They sound amazing for the price, have coil splitting, high quality duncan designed or seymourduncan pickups, rosewood or ebony fretboards and 22 frets. They handle cleans and distortion very well and sound fantastic with ernie ball heavy bottoms

Honestly though, the amp is far more important for your tone than the guitar is. A cheap guitar + good amp will always sound better than amazing guitar through a bad amp. For versatility, I would reccomend a blackstar ht1 or 5 watt combo or a fender super champ xd or x2 If you have any questions feel free to ask.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
i always thought the classic vibes had a really cool look. they are actually pretty well reviewed, you should start with one of them in my opinion.
Quote by BlackVoid
Every guitar and bass forum I've visited has some people chasing some magical tone that will shoot jizzing unicorns riding on a rainbow out of their amp.
I'd recommend a classic vibe tele, IMO its the best "budget" guitar on the market, the neck is awesome. Keep in mind that a majority of your tone is going to come from your amp.

soundclip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9qB74sXa3A

this guy gives a pretty good idea of the different tonal qualities you can get from this thing, highly recommended on my part

if you wouldn't mind going up in price a little bit to the $500 mark (I'm not sure on the conversion to euros, and I'm too lazy to convert it), the Hagstrom Ultra Swede is a super versatile guitar.

soundclip:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oFXohD3qds
Last edited by Tyson2011 at Jun 20, 2013,
$500 are more or less €370, but "of course" in Italy Hagstrom's price is €499!!

Lowest price i found foran used Schecter Tempest Custom, is €350...

Thank you all for helping me in this choice.

Do you think thaht Pacifica 311H is a bad piece of wood?
Just aside; I would start of with an acoustic.

For classic rock I would go for a Telecaster or an SG, Strats have "more" tone options.
Also consider an amplifier or amplifier simulating software (duuh)
I've had a Pacifica I found somewhere on the attic of my school. I didn't really like it.
The frets were horrible and the neck was.. too small (?), both E strings sliped easily from the fretboard. Tuners were, okay. But I also played Squires and Mexican strats and tele's and they were really better.

For €350 you CAN easily get a Mexican tele or a strat (they're around €450 new)
Also consider the new Cabronita models if you go for a tele

Anyway, the problem I see comming is; you won't be satisfied that you can't get the sound out of your Squire/Epi/Yamaha through a practive amplifier that your favorite artist does through some high-end stuff, and being frustrated by it.
Last edited by AmirT at Jun 21, 2013,
I know that amplifier is important, but now i just want to start playing, in the future i'll nuty something to increase sound quality.

Now i'm oriented on buying a Fender Mustang 20W, i don't have to play live at wembley, i just want something that doesn't gets the sound too dirty (is this the way to say it in english?).

For your suggestion "Start with an acoustic" i don't know... half of the people say to start with an acoustic, the other half say to start with the elecrtic if i'm not willing to play acoustic.

I'v had the opportynity to talk with an important (here in italy) american guitarist, Stef Burns, former Alice Cooper's Guitarsit, now playing with Vasco Rossi, a very famous italian singer (of course in italy). Stef told me "You are 21, and you don't want to play acoustic, it makes no sense starting with acoustic, just take a versatile eletric guitar, and start playing"
don't start with an acoustic, that's crazy. start with what you want to learn (i.e. electric).

i agree with stef burns, in other words. if you wanted to play tennis you wouldn't start with table tennis/ping pong, would you? LOL

i'm guessing the mustang has pretty nice clean amp models since it's a fender, but i haven't tried it.

if you can get up to the MIM fenders that may well be worth considering. thomann might still have the (japanese-built) fender '51 pawnshop for around your budget, too- i haven't tried it, but pretty much all the japanese-built guitars i've tried have been great, and for that kind of price, that's gonna be very hard to beat.

godin might be worth a look, too, but might be over budget...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Ok, I'll serch for some Mex Fender.

I've also found those used guitars, what do you think about:

Ephiphone SG '61 reissue (i don't think is the Japanese one) €200
Epiphone Les Paul Standard a €250
Squier Made in Japan €250
Ibanez RG350 (Ex.Demo) €250
I would go for the pacifica, its hard to beat for the money. It stays in tune, sounds half decent, uses decent parts. The cheaper epis are generally not very good and use cheaper hardware, I have not tried the classic vibe. Buying used is OK if you can take someone along who knows guitars otherwise I would advise against it. IMHO I cannot see spending double the price of a pacifica to get MIM Fender, they are so close in quality.
The Classic Vibes come highly recommended by the Fender crowd.

That Pacifica will be well built and the hardware of a really high quality. The trem and pickup would be seen on much more expensive instruments and every Yamaha I've played has been incredible bang for the buck.

I'd avoid the Epi and go for either of the above depending on your own preference.
Got it:
Pacifica 604w, Hohner G3T, PRS SE Soapbar I, Schecter Ultra I
Fender 'evil' Twin, Marshall 2554 combo
The Pacifica 510V has a Gotoh Tremolo as well. I don't see why the pickup would be a problem either. Being an engineering student, I'm sure you would be happy to change it out down the line if you wanted to anyway?

It sounds like a choice is between either Pacifica or a Classic Vibe but without knowing the music you're into it's a bit harder to say...
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
^ i think the 510 has a cheaper, non-gotoh wilkinson
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
It has a six-screw Gotoh VS-50, which as far as I know is a VS-100 with zinc saddles. The rest of the unit's materials are the same.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
i don't think the vs50 is gotoh made. it's not on gotoh's site. it'd also make sense because of what the guitar costs (and other guitars which also have that trem are in a similar price bracket).

I could be wrong, of course, but I suspect it's not gotoh.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Hmm, looking on the Yamaha site it just says Wilkinson so you might be right but it shares the same design as the Gotoh VS100, so the VS50 might just be Wilkinson's "zinc version".

EDIT: Yeah, the VS-50 is listed on the Wilkinson site (although not the six screw version). My bad.

Probably still a nicer tremolo unit than most in its price range though!
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Last edited by Emperor's Child at Jun 22, 2013,
yeah i'm guessing the 50 is the cheapo version of the 100. as you say, it may well be better than trems on similarly priced guitars (i dunno, i haven't tried it), but yeah.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Look if you can find an old Japanese Pacifica used.
They go for about the price range you're looking at and are amazing instruments, better than what you're getting with the the Indonesian made Yamahas (which are still nice instruments).
Fender American Special HSS Stratocaster
Ibanez 1987 Roadstar II Deluxe
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
Ibanez WD-7 Weeping Demon Wah
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
Flamber, what amp do you have?

The CV Tele is very easy to like, first by feel ... much better than the Pacifica or Epi. Next is overall tone, it played with some really nice, clean amps, then brutal amps, better than the 2, in my experience.

You really need to try them all!
The CV series are pretty nice guitars for the money, but they always felt like toys to me because of that sticky, thick laquer on them.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
I've bought the Classic Vibe, at the end.

I don't know "lacquer" is, but i guess you are talking about the polished finish.

I don't like it too, but i think that for a beginner the most important thing, during testing a guitar, is the instinctive feeling while palying it.

I'm not an expert, but compared to Pacifica, Epiphone LP Standard, and Epi SG G400 PRO, it sounds to me much better.

Not to mention strings, to the touch softer (dut i think is a dimension issue), and neck, thinner, but at the same time stronger.

EDIT: i don't already choose my amplifier, i'm oriented on an economic Marshall, Laney or Fender. (€100/200)
Last edited by Flamber at Jun 23, 2013,
Yamaha THR5.
Yamaha THR10X
Marshall JCM900 SL-X
TC Electronic Polytune
Seymour Duncan Tweakfuzz
thank you for the suggestion.

I cant'go to the expenses now, so i have to fend up to september with a 0 cost solution.

I have two options:

1) using my old Crafter (cruiser) 15W (or 10W) amplifier. I bought it in an €80 (100$ more or less) bundle with a rubbishy guitar, so you can suppose this amp quality.

2) Buying an iRig (€15), and i can connect it to my Clasic Vibe, my iPhone, and my high quality monitor speakers. With iRig i could also use some effects digitally recreated (them ar not perfecet, but for €15...).

Using monitor speakers is a problem?
HNGD and enjoy. Next I'm in a shop I'll try out a classic vibe, did you get the strat or the Tele?
I get the strat. Tele is too bluesy in my (beginner) opinion.

What's the meanign for HNGD???
Happy New Guitar Day
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
oh, nice, you Americans have an acronym for anything!

i repost my question that was being lost between the posts:

What's the bes 0-cost solution, to postpone the purchase of an amp until September, for my brand new Squier Classic Vibe?

1) using my old Crafter (cruiser) 15W (or 10W) amplifier. I bought it in an €80 (100$ more or less) bundle with a rubbishy guitar, so you can suppose the quality of this amp.

2) Buying an iRig (€15), and i can connect it to my Clasic Vibe, my iPhone, and my high quality monitor speakers. With iRig i could also use some effects digitally recreated (them ar not perfecet, but for €15...). or buying another adapter to connecti the squier to my monitor speakers.