Hey guys, I'm new here on the forum. I am 14 years old and I have been playing guitar for around 6 years. A little while ago I bought a MIM Stratocaster. I think its a good guitar, the sound just doesn't really fit my style, so I'm looking to sell my Strat and get something different. I've been doing some research about some different guitars that are around $350-400. I found the Epiphone SG G400 pro and I went up to Guitar Center today to check it out. While I was there I also played an Epiphone Les Paul. I definitely liked the sound of those guitars more than my Strat, and I am considering one of those. But I was wondering what your thoughts on those guitars are and if you have any suggestions on other guitars to check out.
Thanks!
Kaiden
Quote by Tom 1.0
Used ones.

What he said.

Mexican Strat. Epiphone Les Paul Standard etc.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Ibanez RG pref HSH. 200-300 Swap pickups out to EVOs for $160 for the set at GC.
Schecter C1 Standard or Tempest Custom are both good for a heavy sound.
2013 Ibanez Jem 7vwh
Lakewood Sungha Jung Signature
Fender Custom Shop Stratocaster
LTD Deluxe MH-1000NT
MIA Fender Strat VG + MiJ Mustang
Martin D1 +Tayor 210e
Kremona Rondo TL Classical
Gretsch G5120
I don't really want to mess around with changing pickups and stuff like that at this point. I would prefer something that is decent stock. I'm ok to buy used, what things should I check for when buying a used guitar?
It's not a very good one.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

There is a used Epiphone Led Paul Standard for $375 in my area. Is that a good deal? Is that a good guitar?
Seems like the only difference between the Les Paul Standard and the SG G400 is the shape. The Les Paul Standard Plus Top pro has different pickups but that is the only other difference. Am I wrong?
yes, the les paul and sg are significantly different guitars in how they are constructed, thickness, balance, weight, etc.

don't epi LP Standards sell new for $399?

http://www.samash.com/ProductDisplay?urlRequestType=Base&catalogId=10051&categoryId=&productId=437091&errorViewName=ProductDisplayErrorView&urlLangId=-1&langId=-1&top_category=&parent_category_rn=&storeId=10001

though they made many versions with bursts and plus tops that cost a bit more.
Quote by Mephaphil
It's not a very good one.

I beg to differ, the g-400 is a pretty solid guitar for it's price range.

I've found g-310s to be solid players, but the bolt on kills them, the 400 (provided it's a good one) is the best cheap sg there is (IMO). Toss in your ideal pups, and it's a sweet axe.

On topic however, if you want new, look into Agile guitars, they kick butt for the price (huge agile advocate here).
Quote by WilhelmTGFRyan
I beg to differ, the g-400 is a pretty solid guitar for it's price range.

I've found g-310s to be solid players, but the bolt on kills them, the 400 (provided it's a good one) is the best cheap sg there is (IMO). Toss in your ideal pups, and it's a sweet axe.

On topic however, if you want new, look into Agile guitars, they kick butt for the price (huge agile advocate here).

If you judge something on is its price alone then you're ignoring the plain fact that it's a guitar made from cheap parts with poor quality control. I've played a few and they do feel cheap. If it were £10 it would still be a starter guitar at best.

You can get a used LP Standard for a similar price, or a Squier CV. It's a guitar that is aimed at beginners which is fine. But spending the same value of the guitar on pickups to make it sound somewhat decent is a false economy. Just use the money to get a decent entry level Gibson SG. They aren't expensive, especially if you're willing to go used.

There are better guitars just above that price range. I don't think there are many guitars, if any around the £200 price range. £250-£300 is where you should be looking, and that's mainly used.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

G-400 are pretty solid guitars, but for $400 you can get a Gibson SG faded used. look here they have more than 1 www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear.

You might get lucky and find a Gibson LP for $400. The last one I had I sold for $400
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
The Charvel Desolation series are fantastic for the money, active pickups in their mid range (as in your price range) models though which you'd have to bear in mind.
G400's are not bad guitars, they're just not made consistently, so you can get a bad one just as like you can get a good one.
Quote by Bassface7
The Charvel Desolation series are fantastic for the money, active pickups in their mid range (as in your price range) models though which you'd have to bear in mind.

The QC of the Desolations is poor. They might be extremely cheap in price, but that's because they're cheaply made.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
G400's are not bad guitars, they're just not made consistently, so you can get a bad one just as like you can get a good one.

The QC of the Desolations is poor. They might be extremely cheap in price, but that's because they're cheaply made.

I tried several when i bought mine (different body shapes) and they were all excellent - of course the shop could have rejected and "poor" ones before they made it to the shop floor.
Quote by Bassface7
I tried several when i bought mine (different body shapes) and they were all excellent - of course the shop could have rejected and "poor" ones before they made it to the shop floor.

Regarding which guitar?

This forum has anecdotes of people owning the G400, saying that the neck was glued crooked inside the body.

and the high-end Desolations... There is an entire thread dedicated to how poor those guitars are.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1562574&page=2

Look at this mess.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 21, 2013,
I heard good things about the Epi Dots/ES's, but you probably don't want a hollow-body?

Or you could buy this fiber-kit from guitarkitsusa (or something like that); they have a les-paul like shape.. also same shapes like Jack White's guitar etc.

They're fully customable up to your needs, any scale neck, bridge, etc..
Last edited by AmirT at Jun 21, 2013,
Yeah I want solid body. I don't want to get anything Fender because that's what I have now and I don't like the sound. I'm not looking for something like crazy mostly I'm just looking for something around the same quality of my Mexi strat I just want a different sound.