Page 1 of 2
For my new band I want to blend alot of my influences to create a truely unique and intresting sound. Some people have told me it wouldn't work but I have a good feeling. Note that not all these sounds will be crammed into every song. But what do you guys think?

• The melodic, high pitched singing and melodic leads from emo music
  • The melodic harmonized riffs, leads and solos from 80's British metal
  • The heavy diminished riffs from melodic death metal
  • The screaming vocals and the OCCASIONAL breakdown found in modern metalcore
  • The clean, trippy instrumental passages from 70's psychedelic/acid rock

Thoughts?
Quote by toast318
For my new band I want to blend alot of my influences to create a truely unique and intresting sound. Some people have told me it wouldn't work but I have a good feeling. Note that not all these sounds will be crammed into every song. But what do you guys think?

Thoughts?

as soon as you put emo singing in your music you'll be lumped in with any other band that uses it.

or the breakdowns
Last edited by whywefight at Jun 20, 2013,
you should throw some dubstep in there, just for good measure

seriously though, write what you want to write you dont have to limit yourself to certain genres
Eat your pheasant
Drink your wine
Your days are numbered, bourgeois swine!
Last edited by Bladez22 at Jun 20, 2013,
Quote by whywefight
more like 1/3rd of BTBAM

Nah, it's...it's pretty much 3/3rds.
Not BTBAM.. I would actually make the transitions between the different parts make sense so it's not a jumbled mess and sounds like a different song whenever it changes riffs..
Quote by toast318
Not BTBAM.. I would actually make the transitions between the different parts make sense so it's not a jumbled mess and sounds like a different song whenever it changes riffs..

yup, I'm sure you will.
Quote by toast318

Oh, so you're making a band that's BETTER than BTBAM. I don't know why I wasn't taking you seriously before, this sounds totally legitimate.
BTBAM makes better music than me, no doubt. But I can't really call what they do "songs." A "song" would imply it has a structure, which their music doesn't really have. it just seems more like they new riff after new riff for like 13 minutes without ever repeating anything. I think they make compositions, not songs. They're like the Beethoven of metal
They repeat and reprise themselves constantly.

Also, I'mma pat myself on the back for turning this into the BtBam shitstorm it's about to become.
Quote by toast318
BTBAM makes better music than me, no doubt. But I can't really call what they do "songs." A "song" would imply it has a structure, which their music doesn't really have. it just seems more like they new riff after new riff for like 13 minutes without ever repeating anything. I think they make compositions, not songs. They're like the Beethoven of metal

You said a couple things that I could argue with and get you all pissed about just because I like watching the world burn. But honestly I understand what you're getting at and I wish you the best.
Quote by toast318
It still doesn't mean their songs have structures

Okay.
You should probably experiment with microtonal music and indian classical too.

Music today just doesn't contain enough Ragas.
Quote by toast318
truely unique and intresting sound.

do you even music
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
While I wouldn't describe at as "truly unique and interesting", I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work. Everything you create is a product of your influences and there is nothing wrong with taking elements from different styles to create your own.
i feel like if you consciously pick these elements instead of just allowing them to arise subconsciously as you're writing, you will fail.

i also think you will fail unless you remove the emo/metalcore stuff, but i suppose that's irrelevant.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by chookiecookie
Basically this

/thread

/thread

I've got a better idea for you. How about this?
  • The voice of Joshua Garcia
  • The guitar playing of Joshua Garcia
  • The face of Joshua Garcia
  • The general likeableness of Joshua Garcia
  • The exceptional tab creating abilities of Joshua Garcia
  • Joshua Garcia
  • Optional, but for good measure some Joshua Garcia
Actually on the BTBAM thing. I thought about it, and I feel like I would understand their music more if their longer songs were divided into secions (Like I, II, III, IV, and V)
What you described is pretty much any djenty/proggy/sumerianspacecore band of the last year. I could probably google you over 100 bands with that exact sound.
Quote by Wormholes
What you described is pretty much any djenty/proggy/sumerianspacecore band of the last year. I could probably google you over 100 bands with that exact sound.

I'd like to see this.

Edit: \/ that.
Quote by toast318
Actually on the BTBAM thing. I thought about it, and I feel like I would understand their music more if their longer songs were divided into secions (Like I, II, III, IV, and V)

Or just pay better attention.
Quote by Wormholes

Youtube links please
At the very least, I would remove any next gen metalcore influences and the emo vocals.
Quote by toast318
Would it sound better if I took out the breakdowns and high pitched vocals??

Soooo....Anciients?
as long as you accidentally the whole thing

^Who are awesome
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Do it, OP.
Do it and report back with a song.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
just write some music man, jeez

write whatever kind of music you want, musical elements should be decided while writing music
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by BladeSlinger
as long as you accidentally the whole thing

^Who are awesome

If they lost their lead vocalist and the black metal screamer was their main, I'd listen to them much more.
Page 1 of 2