Hey alll

I've been half-assedly in the market for a guitar amp for a while, and should be joining a band or two in the next week or so. The other day, I saw a Mesa Roadster 212 Combo used for about $1200 at the local music store. This month, I can finance for the first 6 months with no interest (200 or so a month), so this price seems way more palatable (I was looking at a Spider Valve Combo for $375 before, not so much now )

I'll be playing rhythm guitar for a band with in flames, black dahlia murder, all shall perish as influences. And I tend to stick more towards Sonic Youth, Mars Volta, Isis, Don Caballero, American Football, Circle Takes the Square, and Dillinger Escape Plan as influences.

I know Mesas have a huge learning curve to them, but am I making a decent decision here? It seems versatile enough to handle whatever I ask of it, and a good deal/investment, but I can't help but feel I'm missing something crucial here

What are some dark marks on the Roadster that I should be leery of?
Last edited by maXterbat0r at Jun 20, 2013,
Have you tried it out yet?

The Roadster is one of the more well regarded Mesa's. But they're still a love it or hate it amp.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I personally wouldn't finance guitar gear, but that's up to you. If you do, just be sure to pay it off in the 6 month period. The interest they charge if you don't is insane!

Roadster is a good amp IMO, just doesn't do any one thing great
The only quarrel I have are the FX loops. If it's something you don't use, or if you use rack effects, I'd say go for it.
What's wrong with the FX loop? I usually put my pedals before the amp, but that;s more from running cheap bass amps than anything
Quote by Eppicurt
Have you tried it out yet?

The Roadster is one of the more well regarded Mesa's. But they're still a love it or hate it amp.

Not yet, since I had to run out the door to get to work. I've been youtubing and googling though, and It totally seems up my alley.

I'll be hitting up the store tomorrow with my 7 to see how it handles the range and EMG707, and how it meshes overall with the guitar
Quote by maXterbat0r
What's wrong with the FX loop? I usually put my pedals before the amp, but that;s more from running cheap bass amps than anything
Not yet, since I had to run out the door to get to work. I've been youtubing and googling though, and It totally seems up my alley.

I'll be hitting up the store tomorrow with my 7 to see how it handles the range and EMG707, and how it meshes overall with the guitar

Effects loops can alter the sound in such a way that it makes it undesirable. I've have a couple amps that did that, the Fender's loop has been my favourite so far.

Good call, amps sounds very different in person than online. Also don't expect instant tone out of it, Mesa's are renowned for their tweakability and sensitivity.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
It has a parallel loop. They are just a pain in the ass. If you run everything out front, then you should be cool. However, if you use time-based effects in front and use the amp's distortion, you might find it unpleasant.

I had a Rectoverb, and the loop was the reason I got rid of it. I had a TC Flashback and Corona Chorus I wanted to run through it, and they both had a kill-dry feature, but even then I could only run one pedal without creating phasing issues.

Just something to think about.
As far as financial advice, I would say if you cant afford to pay cash for it don't get it. Either find something less expensive or save your money until you can walk in and pay for it (Haggle on the price too!).

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
Quote by Tremolo Bum
As far as financial advice, I would say if you cant afford to pay cash for it don't get it. Either find something less expensive or save your money until you can walk in and pay for it (Haggle on the price too!).
This. This. This.

Seriously. It just isn't worth it. We all want instant gratification, but it'll end up costing much more in the end. Plus, it's much more satisfying to save up and buy it out right. That's a great feeling.
It's not like he's being charged interest...

It's like putting gear on layaway but not having to wait to actually get it. I love doing it that way, as I have other things I have to save for.
Quote by cdr_salamander
It has a parallel loop. They are just a pain in the ass. If you run everything out front, then you should be cool. However, if you use time-based effects in front and use the amp's distortion, you might find it unpleasant.

I had a Rectoverb, and the loop was the reason I got rid of it. I had a TC Flashback and Corona Chorus I wanted to run through it, and they both had a kill-dry feature, but even then I could only run one pedal without creating phasing issues.

Just something to think about.

I like using delays and flange, but usually not for super musical purposes. and Flange is usually on bass as a pseudo-chorus these days anyway. Should I be worried?
Quote by Tremolo Bum

Yeah, the financing aspect of this is worrying me a bit. I'll probably tweak it so I pay it off over 2-4 months , leaving wiggle room in case of an emergency or a really rainy day before the 0 interest promo runs out. And I'll try haggling too, though this is basically the Canadian Guitar Center. Guys are really nice there though

People are really into Operation Repo at my house, so in case I need to make a break for it, I know all the tricks that don't work :p
Do they have 5150 III combos? I'd go that route for what you're playing. The Rectifier series is a bit... eh. Just play it if you can. They're usually not exactly what people are expecting, when they actually play them.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
Do they have 5150 III combos? I'd go that route for what you're playing. The Rectifier series is a bit... eh. Just play it if you can. They're usually not exactly what people are expecting, when they actually play them.

+1 on the 5150 III suggestion. Getting one myself actually.
Nowhere I've seen. Long & McQuade don't seem to stock Peaveys, and around here the used market is mostly for blues/rock oriented stuff, especially with the Peaveys I've found. I'm in a small city that's kind of out of the way, so unfortunately the used market is slightly stagnant,

I hear the Rectos aren't as tight as, say, the Mark series. I know John Petrucci and Ben Weinman both use Marks, and I'm prety fond of their respective sounds. I assume dialing in something Mark-like would be a lost cause, or a good impression of the 5150s even
Quote by maXterbat0r
Nowhere I've seen. Long & McQuade don't seem to stock Peaveys, and around here the used market is mostly for blues/rock oriented stuff, especially with the Peaveys I've found. I'm in a small city that's kind of out of the way, so unfortunately the used market is slightly stagnant,

I hear the Rectos aren't as tight as, say, the Mark series. I know John Petrucci and Ben Weinman both use Marks, and I'm prety fond of their respective sounds. I assume dialing in something Mark-like would be a lost cause, or a good impression of the 5150s even

The 5150III is by Fender/EVH.
Quote by SimplyBen

Quote by Toppscore
We're talking about the EVH 5150 III, not the Peavey 5150. They're completely different beasts.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
shit

I did see an EVH head of some sort around a bit ago. Maybe I'll do some scouting over the weekend and see if I can find it
So you stated you were going to finance gear. Then you don't seem sure about what you want. Then you say you can pay it off in two months.

Just be patient if you can truly pay it off in two months, wait. And be more sure about what you want.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
Quote by zl1288
I personally wouldn't finance guitar gear, but that's up to you. If you do, just be sure to pay it off in the 6 month period. The interest they charge if you don't is insane!

+1
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?