Hey guys, how limiting is having a guitar with no tone control? I have a fairly large amount on a gift card at my local shop so i'm going to pick up a new guitar. The one i'm looking at has 2 humbuckers with a volume and 3 way. I'm worried that it will be too tone constricting.

What are yalls experiences with these types of guitars? Are they worth it or just get something with a tone control?
Depends what you are playing. I have 3 guitars with no tone control. I play rock ,blues ,metal. Don't ever miss it. And 75% of the time the guitars I have that do have tone knobs are at 10, on any pup setting.

I feel I loose too much bite if I turn it down.
What the hell!!!
Depends on what you're playing, what you're playing through, and how you play. Some people use a tone knob and others don't. There's nothing wrong with either one. But if you personally think it will be restricting, then you probably want a tone knob. But you can always get a concentric pot if you really miss the tone knob.
Quote by JELIFISH19
Depends on what you're playing, what you're playing through, and how you play. Some people use a tone knob and others don't. There's nothing wrong with either one. But if you personally think it will be restricting, then you probably want a tone knob. But you can always get a concentric pot if you really miss the tone knob.

Didn't even think of that...good call. My tone knob is almost always maxed out so I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. The only thing I can think of is when I do the intro to "Bring It On Home" when Jimmy Page has the real bassy sounding guitar.
my Larrivee doesn't have a tone knob and the Ibanez RG I just bought does.... Jury is still out for me, don't use it much now but only had the RG for just over a week.
I use a tone knob all the time. I tend to roll it down all the way then start rolling it up until I find that sweet spot when playing clean.

Generally I like to have my just a bit below maxed out.
You can also put a push/pull volumen control to do the esquire switch kinda thing. I installed one on a friends Alexi (1pu & 1vol knob) and it works just fine.

But If you don't use it that much, and you have other guitars with a tone knob, I wouldn't even bother with that, just keep that guitar simple.
i use my tone knob quite a bit when clean ill always be fiddling with it
occasionally ill lower it to get a very creamy lead sound

but i nothice that alot of people just keep their tone knob at ten and you might be one f those people and if you do if you want a darker tone lowering the volume has a similar effect
Do you use the tone knob? If not, then don't worry about it.

One thing you could do is use a no-load pot for the tone. That will let you still use the tone control from 0-9, but on the "10" it will cut the tone pot out of the wiring like it wasn't even there.

One advantage of not having a tone control is that it doesn't color you tone and gives you a little bit more output to the pickup since you are streamlining the wiring.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Not a tone control user myself so wouldn't miss it - down to the player though
Quite useless, but I do use it when I go out an jam on randoms dude's gear too adjust.

When I Want a slight high rolloff, the volume pot will do that enough before I lose gain.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Am I the only person that uses the tone controll? :0 I find it pretty useful really.
All my hobbies are expensive, pls $$donate to my cause$$
Yeah, TS, if you don't use tone control on your guitars, it shouldn't matter if the new guitar doesn't have a tone control. My Charvel doesn't have a tone knob and I never used tone knobs when I had them in my Les Paul. I just like the sound when the tone knob is at max. Also if you already have a guitar with tone control, use it for songs that need tone knob and use your new guitar for songs that don't need a tone knob. That's why people have different guitars: they sound different and have different features.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Tone control is quite handy for those jazzy tones.
Guitars & Gear:
Parker Nitefly M
Sumer Metal Driver
Ibanez RGD2120Z
AMT SS-11B
Two Notes Torpedo CAB
Quote by CaptainCadmium
Am I the only person that uses the tone controll? :0 I find it pretty useful really.

I use mine tone control all the time... actually in the process of adding a varitone to all of my guitars because i find it frustrating to 'dial in' everytime i search for a particular sound.
PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100
I personally do not use a tone knob or a volume knob. In place have an on/off switch and a momentary push button as a killswitch. For any tone variances I switch between 4 channels on my eq before the signal is sent to anything else. It's only for major in depth tone changes you
cannot achieve with a 3knob eq (vs the 24band EQ). I tend to only use 2 of the 4 settings primarily.
People in the pit take my post way too seriously.

MyAnimeList
7-String Legion

If you have a question PM me and I will always get back to you.
Quote by Apollo1449
Didn't even think of that...good call. My tone knob is almost always maxed out so I don't think it'll be too much of a problem. The only thing I can think of is when I do the intro to "Bring It On Home" when Jimmy Page has the real bassy sounding guitar.

the only problem is having no tone knob is slightly brighter than having a tone knob but having it set to 10- even if you never use your tone knob, a guitar with no tone knob might be too bright.

or it might not. as has been said, it depends on what and how you play, as well.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
siso is correct in that there are dual pots that can exist with one knob............one for volume when it's in it's normal pushed in and then you pull it out and it becomes a tone knob.

I either have it all one direction or all the way the opposite direction and could probably replace it with a simple switch and a trimmer inside the cavity set for maximum treble roll-off that engages with the switch.......otherwise it's wide open treble.
Disclaimer: this is completely anecdotal.

I used to be one of those who never ever used the tone knob, or the volume knob, everything was on 10 all the time.

But once I started using actually good pickups and actually good amps, I found that I use both now.

The use of knobs might have something to do with the development of the ear for tone.

To shortcut past the possibly perceived condescension, even if you don't use the tone knob now, one day you might want to, especially if you haven't been playing very long.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by RedJamaX
I use mine tone control all the time... actually in the process of adding a varitone to all of my guitars because i find it frustrating to 'dial in' everytime i search for a particular sound.

I've never tried a varitone but I've heard good things about them. I'm assuming they must be good then?
All my hobbies are expensive, pls $$donate to my cause$$
I don't think I'd ever buy a guitar without a tone knob and I usually never use the bridge pickup without rolling the tone off a bit.

I guess it's whether you need one or not.
Quote by FEngHLyan

She will join the prom.

She insists to wear this lights.

I don't think so.

How can I persuade her?
On some of my guitars I don't touch tone knob at all. So, it should be fine as long as you're not planning to use it.

... and you won't be able to use it as you won't have tone knob!
What styles do you play sir?

Do you have other guitars or do you want this one to cover as much musical ground as possible?

I have guitars with and without tone control. There's just something pretty badass about just having one "go" knob and for most high gain stuff you won't miss it at all. However, for shaping cleans on the fly - especially if you're using modulation effects, for bluesy rock (think Slash, Gilmore etc) and certainly for jazz, a tone knob is a wonderful tool.
Charvel DX-1 FR / DS-1 ST / DC-1 FR / Custom Strat / La Patrie Hybrid CW / Vypyr 30 / VK100 / 1960A
I dont have a tone knob, but that being said, i do play metulz mostly, so that might be a part of it. I actually had a tone knob, but i took it and replaced it with a killswitch. Its equaly useless to me, but at least it looks cooler.
Joža je kul. On ma sirove z dodatki pa hambije.
Some guitars I have I turned it to 10 and it has been there for years, other guitars I have I do use the tone knob because the pickups are extremely bright
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by CaptainCadmium
I've never tried a varitone but I've heard good things about them. I'm assuming they must be good then?

There are a number of people who've removed them from guitars that come with them, claiming they're "tonesuckers." An older Gibson ES-355 with all the goodies (including a Varitone) is on my short list, but I keep running into examples that have had the original removed (and lost).

I've got a Varitone of sorts on a Moonstone guitar that also came with active Bartolini pickups and TWO treble boosts. This one is WAY more useful than a standard Varitone.

And then there's the old '70's L6S, which has what LOOKS like a Varitone, but isn't. It's actually a six-position pickup selector (two humbuckers) that adds parallel and series both pickups selected in and out of phase to the usual bridge/neck. Oh, and it has not only a treble rolloff (what we all call a "tone" knob) but a mids rolloff pot as well.
My Hondo H-75 only has a volume control knob. I actually like the simplicity and it sounds great without the need to alter the tone on the guitar.
Depends if you use it.I never used to use it,Everything always on 10.My ears have changed now though,I play mainly Fenders now and i could'nt live without my tone knob now,Usually back it off to around 7ish now.