I have about 200$ to spend that i want to put towards making my guitar sound better. I have a Cort KX1Q with EMG OC1's in it. they sound alright. My amp is a JCA2112RC with a stock eminence speaker.. it too sounds alright.

What would be more benefitial to my tone:
1. changing my pickups to the seymour duncan hot rodded series
or
2. upgrading my speaker to a celestion vintage 30

also, any other upgrades are always welcome!
Cort KX1Q w/ Seymour Duncan Jazz/JB
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Mesa Boogie Mark V 35 Head
Orange PPC112 - 60W 1x12" V30 Cabinet
Two Notes Torpedo Live
Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus Universal Power Supply

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
Last edited by thundermonty at Jun 21, 2013,
Tubes would be the first thing, if you haven't changed them to something decent already.
Then I don't know. What don't you like about your tone? What do you think would make it better?
[404]Signature not found
Last edited by jmaguire at Jun 21, 2013,
+1 on Tubes, load that thing with JJs (best bang for your buck really, although NOS JAN/Phillips 5751s can be had cheaply for the preamp) and thank us later...

As for further upgrades, we need to know where you are trying to get too tonally. What sort of bands etc.? we might be able to get insight into which would be the better upgrade to make first.
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
v1 preamp is going to make the most diference but a speaker (especially if voiced differently) can have a dramatic change on your overall tone.

i suppose it also depends on what pickups, but thats a fairly personal thing depending on output, style etc. i never know how to recommend pickups...of the same kind. somebody says give me ideas for a umbucker size p-90 i find easier. like pickup to like pickup....too much preference and small differences
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
+1 on needing to know what type of tone you want

for the speaker i'd put an eminence v12 in there (depending on what you want to play, of course). cheaper than a v30, and (IMO) suits the jet cities slightly better.

i'd do a speaker swap before a pickup swap. Or a tube swap, really (unless the stock tubes really are horrible, i haven't got round to swapping mine yet ).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have replaced the tubes with JJ's and it made a big difference. i'd like more sustain from my pickups and most of all, my neck pickup sounds pretty bad. i almost always use my bridge pickup whether im doing rythm or lead. at home i play anything from pink floyd to muse to metallica. but on stage i just need a good hard rock crunchy tone that i can clean up to have more of a creamy blues tone.

i wanted the vintage 30 because i heard it was the best, but im also aware that some may be better voiced for my amp. i just dont have enough money to buy a new guitar or new amp so im trying to work with what i have.
Fender Standard Stratocaster Plus Top - Aged Cherry Burst with Maple Fingerboard
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Florentine PRO Hollowbody - Faded Cherry Sunburst w/ Seymour Duncan SH-55's

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Boss TU3 Chromatic Tuner -> Whirlwind Red Box Compressor -> Hardwire CM-2 Tube Overdrive -> MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion -> Vick Audio '73 Ram's Head -> loop -> Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser -> Mooer Eleclady Flanger -> Strymon Flint Tremolo and Reverb -> MXR Carbon Copy Delay -> MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by thundermonty
i have replaced the tubes with JJ's and it made a big difference. i'd like more sustain from my pickups and most of all, my neck pickup sounds pretty bad. i almost always use my bridge pickup whether im doing rythm or lead. at home i play anything from pink floyd to muse to metallica. but on stage i just need a good hard rock crunchy tone that i can clean up to have more of a creamy blues tone.

i wanted the vintage 30 because i heard it was the best, but im also aware that some may be better voiced for my amp. i just dont have enough money to buy a new guitar or new amp so im trying to work with what i have.

the best never exists with anything. its all subjective. something may be the best for you, but may be shit for me strictly from different applications and/or preferences.

tubes, then speaker, then pickups if i were to do it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
speaker it is then! what speaker would overall be most suited for my amp?

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Quote by thundermonty
speaker it is then! what speaker would overall be most suited for my amp?

i have played them and owned four (all either died when i turned them on for the first time or they were just dead. i had one last an hour or two so at least i got a little time into it. it was likely a bad batch. i could have probably fixed any of them, but when you get one from a retail dealer (M123) they pay shipping all directions and may as well get a fresh one (and a really steep discount for hassles).

that aside, i would probably listen to Dave, he knows his shit. as far as speakers go, they are important, but the amp is by far the most important thing and (IMO). pedals and speakers following in most cases. pickups are more of a tune up but still can have great influence to your tone. i am not saying that there is no reason to upgrade, just that the speaker will have a more audible difference

you could do anything or pick up an OD to boost the front if you don't have one already.

just see what you want. only you know what is best for yourself.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
the Eminence V12 that Dave suggested would be good, and I would normally suggest a speaker upgrade over a pickup, however...

The stock JCA speakers aren't horrid and if you are having issues with you neck pickup a new set might open more tonal possibilities for you. But pickups can be a real trial and error, where as a speaker will be a straight shooter if you get one voiced for your style.

I still haven't found pickups that suit my guitars properly... I have a set that I only liked the bridge and both positions of in one guitar, moved them into my new guitar and i only really like the neck and both.

or both... V12 is only $75

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/eminence-legend-v128-12-120-watt-vintage-british-tone-speaker

also a bad monkey overdrive would be great in front of the amp, and GC sell them for about $30 used, I'm sure you can find them else where too
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Last edited by GABarrie at Jun 21, 2013,
^ yeah, the v12 is so much cheaper than the v30 that really you could get the speaker, pickups and even a cheap od (bad monkey is excellent for what it costs, as you said) all at once.

that might be the best way to do it, lol.

and i agree with trashedlosteffedup (not sure i'd agree i know that much about speakers but anyway )- there's really no best, at least when you're looking at quality speakers. Out of what I've tried, I liked the v12 the best I think. With my jet city (the 50 watt head, so not exactly the same as yours, so bear that in mind) I've tried:

v30 (broken in and not)
g12t75
classic lead
greenback
g12h30 (anniversary)
g12h30 (55hz heritage)
eminence red white and blues and screamin eagle (together in a 2x12)
eminence texas heat and swamp thang
eminence gb128
eminence v12
eminence 1258
tayden great brit
tayden high brit
EDIT: oops yeah i also tried wgs et65s with it

Also i tried combinations of most of those celestions in a 2x12 (and the v30 and g12h30 in a 4x12 in an x-pattern) and also the two taydens together in a 2x12. Admittedly only at home volumes, so bear that in mind. And they were new speakers so how well broken-in they were, i dunno

But yeah i liked the v12s the best. they're almost like broken-in v30s out of the box, and are a bit more laid-back even than broken in v30s. broken-in v30s were probably my second choice, or the heritage g12h30s (but they're pretty dear, i only have them because i got a good deal on a cab already loaded with them).

but yeah, personally i wouldn't really consider the v12 to be the cheaping out option. they're the best option (IMO, obviously), the fact they're cheap is the icing on the cake.

EDIT: i also agree that, although i said to get the speaker first, that doesn't mean i think that pickups play no part, once you have the rest of your gear sorted, the pickups can have a pretty big effect, too. i sorta subscribe to a weakest link kind of theory, and once you've dealt with one weakest link, another one often rears its head, lol. Alternatively, once you have good gear, it often shows up the shortcomings in other kit which maybe wasn't noticeable before...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 21, 2013,
my budget is now 240$. i can get the pickups on musicians friend for 140 and the speaker for 75. i trust dave's opinion on these matters so the v12 looks good. plus i seen a youtube video with someone using it and it sounded a lot better.
i can install the speaker myself... but i dont know about the pickups. my tone pot has a coil splitting feature and it complicates the wiring of it all. i called my local guitar shop and a not so local guitar center and they both told me the install would be 50-75$ (yikes!).

also, after my guitar and amp are sorted out, i plan on buying an mxr dyna comp as a lead boost/ sustain pedal. im also going to get an EH electric mistress flanger. ( thats my pink floyd upbringing coming out :P ) but i wanted to get my current gear rockin on its own first.

edit: when ya'll say v12 you're talking about this one right?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/eminence-legend-v128-12-120-watt-vintage-british-tone-speaker

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Last edited by thundermonty at Jun 21, 2013,
Tell them you'll only pay $40 for a pup install, thats nuts.

Swap it all, pups, tubes, speakers. Play loud. Rock on.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
before you send the guitar over to a store for installation, look at the wiring diagram. they aren't hard to read and you can seek here or many other places, like SD's forum.

if you are patient to learn the basics, you can learn to solder fine in a very short time.

the real secret is to heat where you want the solder to go and not to drop the solder on top in globs.

at least look into it. i swapped my humbuckers in my Ibby Presige 2570 and had no issues and it was a 15 minute job (not counting stringing) afterwards.

an extra set of hands (or a third hand clamp grabber thing which is what i use) goes a long way.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
i've soldered an input jack to a cab before and fixed a friend's evh phase 90 that had a bad solder joint... i can solder, im just not confident that ill have the best sound quality when im done.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Quote by thundermonty
my budget is now 240$. i can get the pickups on musicians friend for 140 and the speaker for 75. i trust dave's opinion on these matters so the v12 looks good. plus i seen a youtube video with someone using it and it sounded a lot better.
i can install the speaker myself... but i dont know about the pickups. my tone pot has a coil splitting feature and it complicates the wiring of it all. i called my local guitar shop and a not so local guitar center and they both told me the install would be 50-75$ (yikes!).

also, after my guitar and amp are sorted out, i plan on buying an mxr dyna comp as a lead boost/ sustain pedal. im also going to get an EH electric mistress flanger. ( thats my pink floyd upbringing coming out :P ) but i wanted to get my current gear rockin on its own first.

edit: when ya'll say v12 you're talking about this one right?

yep that's the one, you're right to check as eminence's naming pattern for the legends is terribly confusing

just make sure your combo can take an 8 ohm speaker. it looks like it from the jet city website, but the pic is a bit small for me to be sure.

and
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
There's better deals on the V12 than $75, I bought mine brand new for $50 shipped. I ran it underneath my JCA100H and fell in love with the sound, it was one of my favorite amp/speaker combos I've ever had.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
i dont know if its just my guitar but there is definitely something wrong with my tone. the amp should sound better. i'll just replace the speaker and the pickups and see what it does.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

yeah i mean obviously if there's something wrong with something in your chain, fixing that takes precedence over anything we've advised, lol. But if not, i'd change the speaker and then the pickups, in that order. With a view to doing both eventually/ASAP. EDIT: and also get an OD pedal like a bad monkey. I'd get that before the pickups, probably before the speaker, too.

and just to clarify for one last time, I haven't tried your jet city, just mine. i think the normal channel on mine is pretty similar to yours, but don't quote me on that- plus i mean 90% of the time i'm playing my jet city I'm on the OD channel, lol. in addition, i have the normal channel dialled in to be pretty clean, and I'm guessing you don't dial yours in that way).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 22, 2013,
well, i just feel that it should sound better than what it does. what od pedal do you recommend? i tried a bad monkey a while back and didnt much care for it. also, my amp is a one channel amp and im usually always using about 60% gain.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

were you using the bad monkey as a standalone overdrive or as a boost? it works pretty well as a boost, i find (like most tubescreamer-type pedals). the screamin' blues is pretty nice as a more transparent boost (but it can get too bright, which might be too much with the already fairly bright jet city).
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i was using it as a stand alone. if i picked up an mxr 10 band eq (which i already wanted to get) could i use it as a boost? or do you recommend an od?

Two Notes Torpedo Live

yeah you can use an eq as a boost.

just a ts is pretty handy because it does about 4 or 5 things without fuss. but i mean if you have your heart set on an eq it'd probably be fine too.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well after messing with the amp and guitar settings a bit more, im starting to think that new pickups arent really needed. and im iffy on a new speaker. the speaker in the jet city is pretty decent and its already broken in. i am going to get a hardwire cm2 no matter what. im also still wanting a dynacomp and a flanger.

should i try a 10 band eq or a new speaker? i dont have an fx loop and the cm2 already has tone shaping abilities so an eq might be superfluous at that point.

edit: i guess you could say im just very undecided as to what i want because theres no good demos showing the difference the new speaker will make whereas ive actually owned some of these pedals before.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Last edited by thundermonty at Jun 25, 2013,
Quote by thundermonty
well after messing with the amp and guitar settings a bit more, im starting to think that new pickups arent really needed. and im iffy on a new speaker. the speaker in the jet city is pretty decent and its already broken in. i am going to get a hardwire cm2 no matter what. im also still wanting a dynacomp and a flanger.

should i try a 10 band eq or a new speaker? i dont have an fx loop and the cm2 already has tone shaping abilities so an eq might be superfluous at that point.

edit: i guess you could say im just very undecided as to what i want because theres no good demos showing the difference the new speaker will make whereas ive actually owned some of these pedals before.

Tubes and speaker are what i would do.

Do understand what compressors do? They are imo far overused in a guitar setup. They kill dynamics. Most people use one as a bandaid on getting leads to sound better.

There are other uses for compressors and a very small bit isnt bad
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
well im hoping that by adding an overdrive to boost the amp i'll have enough sustain during solos to where i wont need a compressor.

Two Notes Torpedo Live

^ yeah i would get an od first. if you only need more compression for high gain tones odds are the od will be enough on its own.

if you want more sustain for clean tones, or to even out volume differences between notes for clean tones, then a compressor might be worth considering.

i'd still get a new speaker. a speaker makes a massive difference. i've heard worse speakers than the stock jet city one... but a good speaker would still be a pretty big upgrade, IMO.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
was in town today and i picked up a hardwire cm2 tube overdrive. that thing sounds HEAVENLY with my amp. with the amp volume at 75% and gain at 40%, it gives me a good crunch tone that i clean up nicely. but turn on the overdrive and i have more volume and gain. so i can use it either as a lead boost or if a song needs to be louder (like during the chorus) i have it for that too. so far im very pleased with it and im glad you recommended an od pedal. never would have thought i needed one with my amp but im already 10x more versatile in a live situation. oh and i dont think ill be needing a compressor. i only wanted more sustain for when im doing solos, and the increased gain from the overdrive takes care of that.

thanks Dave!

Two Notes Torpedo Live

Quote by thundermonty
was in town today and i picked up a hardwire cm2 tube overdrive. that thing sounds HEAVENLY with my amp. with the amp volume at 75% and gain at 40%, it gives me a good crunch tone that i clean up nicely. but turn on the overdrive and i have more volume and gain. so i can use it either as a lead boost or if a song needs to be louder (like during the chorus) i have it for that too. so far im very pleased with it and im glad you recommended an od pedal. never would have thought i needed one with my amp but im already 10x more versatile in a live situation. oh and i dont think ill be needing a compressor. i only wanted more sustain for when im doing solos, and the increased gain from the overdrive takes care of that.

thanks Dave!

Glad to hear you like the od

Now you just need tubes and a speaker. Jj's all around and the eminence for the speaker.

You would be sitting in a good spot as far as tone goes.

WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
already have jj's in it

Two Notes Torpedo Live

yeah the speaker is the thing to do now, i'd say

For ages i never used an od either. I kick myself now when i think about it

you can actually use two ods if you want. i normally use a more transparent od (say, digitech screamin blues, marshall bluesbreaker, timmy, something like that) for my rhythm tone and then a tubescreamer or similar for lead. But really you can do it however you want, it's up to you.

glad you're happy
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well i just came across a bugera 333xl infinium with matching 4X12 cab and 4 pedals for 250$ so no speaker coming any time soon

Two Notes Torpedo Live

no worries
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?