I recently bought a MIM fat strat and I love it except I would like to have a more beefy, almost sludgey tone similar to mastodon and melvins where you almost feel every palm mute. I undersand that a strat is not the best guitar for this but I like playing regular, old strats the most of any type of guitar. I'm running my guitar through a vypyr 30 which I wont be able to upgrade for a while so please don't suggest buying a new amp. Anyway, I would like recommendations on the best humbucker to achieve this sort of tone as well as any other tips to get this tone. Thanks.
1. Strap on some overalls
2. Arpeggio Seriousness
3. Lock Horns
4. Take a big fresh breath of air
5. Go Surfin'
6. Get high on fire
You might like the Lace Dirty Hesher- Matt Pike's "signature" pickup or their new Finger Burners.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
Dimarzio Breed would do the job nicely although I'm not sure how much of an difference it'll make with the Vypyr.

I know it's not what you want to hear but the amp is most likely why you're not getting the sound you want. A pickup won't make any difference as "feeling every palm mute" goes, that's all down to volume and speakers. You need enough volume to get the air moving, and more speakers will move more air...a2x12 will get you there, a 4x12 is even better.

If you're just running your amp at practice volumes there's no point wasting money on a pickup because no, it won't change anything. Use more volume and less gain on your amp and make sure there's a healthy dose of mids in your tone but you may well be starting to become aware of the limitations of the amp. I'm pretty sure if you plugged your guitar into a cranked Mesa or ENGL you wouldn't think there was anything wrong with the pickups.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The amp would make most difference, but in this case a humbucker would change stuff quite a bit.

Also on guitar modelers, they often seem too respond quite different too pickups.

I find that single coils often do much better job through a modeler than a humbucker, don't ask me why.

EDIT fat strat is HSS I assumed from rest of the post he liked classic 3 single coils and plays that. My apologies.

Pup change won't do much TS.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jun 21, 2013,
Mastodon is a Seymour Duncan SH-6

Is your strat HSS?

If it's SSS, look at the Seymour Duncan Hot Rails.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Yeah my guitar is HSS. I know mastodon uses those pickups, its just I want pickups that work best for my particular guitar becauseni know different pickups work best with diffferent guitars.
1. Strap on some overalls
2. Arpeggio Seriousness
3. Lock Horns
4. Take a big fresh breath of air
5. Go Surfin'
6. Get high on fire
We just got Bill Kelliher using our Nitro Hemi in his Golden Axe guitar, if you wanna go straight at their tone that would be a good choice for the bridge. I don't think you should go for pickups before the amp though, unless your budget is limited. The amp will give you the best idea on where your tone is hindered. Strat's can still hang with the best of them, i used one with a Duncan Single coil humbucker and it could rock.
Quote by brenthinds
Yeah my guitar is HSS. I know mastodon uses those pickups, its just I want pickups that work best for my particular guitar becauseni know different pickups work best with diffferent guitars.

To be honest, I've found that the guitar itself doesn't matter that much... I mean, having a different guitar isn't really going to change the way a pickup sounds. Yes, different guitars sound different even with the same pickups, absolutely, but you need to put that fact in perspective - you can change your tone MASSIVELY with just an EQ pedal. An EQ pedal can change your tone a lot more noticeably than the different attributes of different guitars.

I think that the effect the guitar itself has on tone is pretty overblown in the general consciousness. The pickups you're using are going to make a lot more difference, and the amp you're using makes the most difference, it is the foundation of your tone, everything else in your chain besides your amp is just going to be tweaking the way the amp sounds.

Quote by nick@lacemusic
We just got Bill Kelliher using our Nitro Hemi in his Golden Axe guitar, if you wanna go straight at their tone that would be a good choice for the bridge. I don't think you should go for pickups before the amp though, unless your budget is limited. The amp will give you the best idea on where your tone is hindered. Strat's can still hang with the best of them, i used one with a Duncan Single coil humbucker and it could rock.

+1
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X