hi i need to know the most used or best scales for metal i could use while soloing for songs my band writes
Harmonic minor, aeolian mode, pentatonic etc. Although you're limiting yourself if you only use and know one scale. You should learn theory as it's the notes that you hit that make or break a solo.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 21, 2013,
Metal is pretty much in minor so yeah, minor scale. But there's no "best scale" for a genre. Just learn the minor and major scales. And remember to learn the sound of them. That's the most important thing. Learn to use accidentals and you don't need to think about fancy scale names. Also learn the intervals and the sound of them.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by izzy crowley
try all that exotic scales you will never regret

Bad advice for somebody who doesn't know about scales. It's best to start with the most usual ones. Exotic scales have cool names but they are basically variations of the major and minor scales. That's why you should learn major and minor scales first and then learn to use accidentals because most music is based on them. Oh, and don't forget the intervals!

Exotic scales don't equal good music. Actually they only work over a small number of progressions. Major and minor scales have a lot more use in music. Also, scales don't make music. You need to learn to use them. Best guitarists can make three notes sound freaking awesome and can do lots of stuff with them. Pentatonic is just five notes but most rock solos only use notes in the pentatonic scale. That proves that if you just can use the notes, you can make whatever sound good.

So first learn to use the major and minor scale. Learn to use accidentals. Exotic scales have their use but it's pretty narrow compared to major and minor scales because most music can be played only by using those two scales (and some accidentals).
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Last edited by MaggaraMarine at Jun 21, 2013,