When you're using a drum machine or instead of a real drum player, how do you go about getting the 'overheads' sound?

Thx in advance
Are you talking Room sound, drum bleed or overhead cymbal sound? Either way, most drum machine programs do a good job of that out of the box (As long as its not EZDrummer). A lot of getting that sound is going to come from mixing and it really depends on the sound you're looking for. Probably a clip of what sound you're looking for would help a ton
Derpy Derp Derp Herp Derp
Well if you've got simulated close mics on the cymbals then what I would do is start by creating a buss, sending the cymbals appropriately panned to where they should be, then send all your other drum bits in at reduced volumes (-10dB is a good place to start IMO, then adjust).
Quote by chatterbox272
Well if you've got simulated close mics on the cymbals then what I would do is start by creating a buss, sending the cymbals appropriately panned to where they should be, then send all your other drum bits in at reduced volumes (-10dB is a good place to start IMO, then adjust).

Thx, will have to try this.
^ make sure you also send the other drums panned appropriately as well. kick and snare in the center of course. if it were me, I would do a full send of the cymbals (so you don't get them in their own tracks) but a split send of the rest of the drums (so they do get their own tracks). this would give a more overhead feel, as opposed to just doubling the cymbals. but that's just what I would do.