So my broski is going to college and taking his b.c. rich warlock with him, leaving me with a shit squier that i dont like playing. Is there a significant difference between a Gibson Les Paul Jr and a Gibson Les Paul Jr Special with Humbuckers? I never really understood the whole pickups thing, all I know is that the special has more pickups than the other. I wanna know cuz if one is much better im willing to shell out the money but if the difference is unnoticeable then im going with cheapest. ill put links : D

Les Paul Jr. Special With Humbuckers

Les Paul Jr.
yeah the pickups make a big difference there. one has two humbuckers, the other has one p90.

two humbuckers probably are more versatile. personally i'd say humbuckers are more "useful" than p90s for a bigger range of tones, and also the fact you have a neck pickup as well means it's more versatile.

Some players prefer the tone of a p90, though, and some players also prefer the stripped-down approach of only having the one pickup. some people also claim that the reduced string pull of only having one pickup makes the guitar sound slightly better as it has slightly more sustain.

i'm sure there are youtube videos which show you how humbuckers differ in tone from p90s. if you're really lucky there might be a youtube vid comparing the two guitars in question.

normally humbuckers are more refined sounding, have a tighter bass and a smoother tone. they're also noiseless. p90s are rawer- and grittier-sounding. both are in the same sort of ballpark, though (IMO).

EDIT: i should also point out, i haven't tried either of those two specific models, so there may be other differences, too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 21, 2013,
the difference is very noticeable.

your preference is the thing though.

the cheaper one has two humbuckers and neck binding? i'd go that route.

i like a p-90 jr as much as the next guy, imo the two buckers with binding wins.

the fretboard on the special is maple, whereas the jr is rosewood. wouldn't sway me, but i thought its a difference worth mentioning.
^ ah i missed that, good call.

And yeah if you don't already have a decent guitar, I agree, i'd say the two humbucker one wins.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
no problem
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?