Im trying to find my tone however i know nothing about the effects chain i.e i dont know in which order to place the effects and how it will effect my tone. what would you recommend? hit and trial? or any article/video perhaps
If you try to find your tone you should worry about the amp. And effects are simple when you think of them, anything that changes the basic sound of your guitar like a distortion pedal comes first and stuff that adds to the sound like modulation or delay comes after. And how it will affect your tone depends on the effect.
So the wah overdrive should all come before the amp and effects like delay chorus after? what about the noise gate? at the start?
It depends on the amp. Do you have an effects loop? I'd probably put an overdrive in the front of the amp, I've had some bad experiences with distortion effects in the effects loop. This of course depends on the pedal and the amp. But chorus, delay, wah, effects like that I'd put in the loop, and if your amp doesn't have a loop I'd put them after the distortion effects. And noise gate goes to the loop, to lessen the amp noise. If you don't have a loop, either last on the chain or after the distortion, depending on the quality of the pedals.

This is all very dependent on the pedals and amps in question, so I'm not sure if I'm making any sense. You have a very open question, and it's hard to answer it simply.
Last edited by guitar/bass95 at Jun 21, 2013,
Quote by guitar/bass95
If you try to find your tone you should worry about the amp. And effects are simple when you think of them, anything that changes the basic sound of your guitar like a distortion pedal comes first and stuff that adds to the sound like modulation or delay comes after. And how it will affect your tone depends on the effect.

i will agree there are certain rules we as guitarists follow when it comes to an effects chain, and our rules are pretty simple, but it is very easy to come up with exceptions to rules.

do you run your wah before or after distortion?

where do you run your compressor?

does delay get run last in the chain or should reverb get placed last?

where does a harmonizer go?

does the noise gate get placed in the effects loop or near the front of the chain?

these are just a few of questions that completely depend on personal preference and desired effect. for example i ran my stereo phaser last in the chain after my reverb and stereo delay because of the effect i was going for, this flies against standard guitar effect logic.

Quote by danyal92
So the wah overdrive should all come before the amp and effects like delay chorus after? what about the noise gate? at the start?

standard effects chains usually are run as such

guitar
tuner
wah
compressor
boost/distortion/OD/fuzz
modulation (phase, chorus, vibe, etc)
reverb/delay

your modulations and delay style effects usually are placed in the effects loop if you have one.

all that being said, compressors can be used after any effect in order to 'tame' it. noise gates can be placed before or after distortion pedals or even in the effects loop depending on the effect you want it to have. i have seen wah pedals placed all over the place in an effects chain. i run my vibe effects before the amp's preamp even though it is kinda considered a modulation effect. more uncommon effects like ring modulators, low pass filters or harmonizers are placed in different spots depending on how you want them to sound.

start with the above setup and then experiment to find your own preferences.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Last edited by gumbilicious at Jun 21, 2013,
I agree completely with Gumbilicious on your own preference. It's always about what you like most.

And things that you didn't take into consideration, different manufacturers make pedals that are especially meant for a certain spot in the chain, but those are somewhat rare, stuff like fuzz boosters from Zvex effects or pedals that are designed especially for the effects loop. But no need to worry about those at this point.
what you have first happens first.

so if you go into a distortion pedal and then into a phaser, the phaser is phasing your distortion. which leads to a more extreme phasing tone. if you run your phaser first, the phaser will phase your clean tone and then the distortion will distort the already phased tone.

with boost and distortions, if you put a boost before a distortion pedal it'll boost the distortion pedal into more distortion. but put it after the distortion pedal and it'll increase your volume (it may distort your amp more if the amp is distorted).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thank you guys ill try all sorts of stuff. as for the sweet child o mine solo what would u recommend? guitar-noisegate-wah-compressor-amp-distortion?
Guitar - compressor - distortion - wah- noisegate - amp

You could also try

Guitar - compressor - wah - distortion - noisegate - amp

Personally try to lose the noisegate, they destroy your sound in my opinion, have less gain !
Last edited by Wolfie60 at Jun 21, 2013,
Quote by Wolfie60
Guitar - compressor - distortion - wah- noisegate - amp

You could also try

Guitar - compressor - wah - distortion - noisegate - amp

+1

dunno if you need a compressor for scom

i'd personally use tube amp distortion hit with a boost. admittedly, that's my answer for everything, but still
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
i have been running this interesting board (not really sure what to call it) maybe ambient drone or something. but i put my voodoo labs proctavia after my zendrive, i figure OD would be best before. but the proctavia was very treble heavy and the zendrive second and it was 10x better sounding.

sometimes there is a general role, and sometimes you find different things different. for example in that rig i also have my wah after my proctava and ZD and it is just different.

really the only rule for just about everything is to put your tuner 1st.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
compressor not necessary for sweet child o mine? can you play solos without a compressor? i find that the high notes are extremely lifeless then.
Quote by danyal92
compressor not necessary for sweet child o mine? can you play solos without a compressor? i find that the high notes are extremely lifeless then.

err, what?
if you think a compressor makes your solos better then two things need looking at...

1. your guitar's setup including pickup heights

2. your technique

a compressor will destroy any dynamics in single note work and solos, a great compressor will give some benefit to shredding and sweep picking, but anything in the vein of scom would just sound flat
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
well i agree that a compressor can take away some dynamics but there are a ton of great solos etc that are heavily compressed. i wouldnt go so far as to say its destroyed.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
i cant play solos like seek and destroy fade to black etc without a compression. Without a compressor its like the high notes have no sound.
^ what amp are you using? and what guitar?
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by ikey_
well i agree that a compressor can take away some dynamics but there are a ton of great solos etc that are heavily compressed. i wouldnt go so far as to say its destroyed.
I'm an old school blues rocker, they kill everything I look for in tone
Quote by danyal92
i cant play solos like seek and destroy fade to black etc without a compression. Without a compressor its like the high notes have no sound.

once again, guitar setup and your technique may be more at fault than the lack of compression
Epiphone Les Paul Plus Top
Jet City JCA5212RC (SLO Modded)
Ibanez WD7 Wah
Mad Professor Sweet Honey Overdrive
TC Electronic Flashback Triple Delay
TC Electronic Trinity Reverb
Quote by danyal92

Then you might want to look at your technique. You shouldn't mask your mistakes with pedals. I haven't really found a use for compressor (or actually any other effects ) other than when I record. And when I record, I use the compressor on my Cubase recording software.

Also your guitar might have a bad set up or you might have a bad amp.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by MaggaraMarine
Then you might want to look at your technique. You shouldn't mask your mistakes with pedals. I haven't really found a use for compressor (or actually any other effects ) other than when I record. And when I record, I use the compressor on my Cubase recording software.

Also your guitar might have a bad set up or you might have a bad amp.

I went out and bought a compressor. I returned the next day. If you cannot play a lead without one, clean up your playing
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by danyal92

what guitar and amp are you playing through? i don't use compression at all, and i've had no issues with high notes.
i use an ibanez rg 370dx with a crunchlab/liquifire pickup set and marshall mg15 fx. Im looking for a peavey valve king. I know the marshall sucks but it cant be all the marshalls fault? how can my teachnique be wrong? should i adjust the pickup height?
Quote by danyal92
i use an ibanez rg 370dx with a crunchlab/liquifire pickup set and marshall mg15 fx. Im looking for a peavey valve king. I know the marshall sucks but it cant be all the marshalls fault? how can my teachnique be wrong? should i adjust the pickup height?

The closer your pickups are to your strings, the more output. I have my neck pickup really far away from my strings because I like its tone that way. But I don't have any issues with high notes sounding bad.

Too low action might have something to do with it. Do you have fret buzz? You could try raising your action just a bit. But if it doesn't fix the problem, don't adjust your action. I like having my action as low as possible.

It might just be your amp sounding bad. What settings are you using?

But your technique can be wrong in many ways. But we can't tell what's wrong if you don't post a video.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by danyal92

yes it can. sustain was pretty crappy with my valvestate, too.

don't buy a compressor and get a tube amp. odds are that'll solve your problems.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by danyal92

adjusting the pickup height is one thing you can do. if the pickups are too high, the magnetic pull can stifle the vibration of the string.

but i think it's more because of your amp. take your guitar into a music store and play on a proper amp, and see if you have the same problem.
Quote by danyal92

i have the CL/LQF as well, in a prestige 1570's, which are comparable. i can tell you that its not a pickup problem sounding thin. both pickups sound great, good amount of output and clarity.

as previously stated, i think an amp would do you best.

VK's go cheap on CL quite often.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
The basics of effects chains have been outlined here many times.
I'm something of an advocate of experimenting with your chain, the loop, pedal order and settings as much as feasibly possible until you achieve the results you desire.

If possible record yourself each time so you get more of an idea how it would sound from an audience point of view.

The essentials are basically decent quality patch leads, a good power supply/batteries (although I'd err in favour of a PS) and patience.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
I think the bit where you are talking about, and I paraphrase "highs sounding like shit" could definitely be the fault of the amp.
Get a new amp before you buy any pedals man.