GuitarManiac110
Tab Contributor
174 IQ
I´m just curious. I listen mostly to metal (Symphony X,Nevermore,COB,Dream Theater,Firewind...) and I write songs that could be described as "metal". However, I´ve noticed that all my riffs and songs belong in different "sub-categories" of metal. For example, I have written metalcore songs,power metal songs,progressive metal songs,hell,the list goes on. I play in a band and I have never placed any limitations on me,when it comes to writing a song. When I get in the mood to write some stuff I kinda let it "flow" and the songs end up being very different when compared... It´s not a problem for me,I think it´s actually pretty cool and my bandmates agree.

So,please answer to the question presented in the title...

(English isn´t my first language,so there probably are some grammar mistakes. I hope that you understand what I wrote...)
griffRG7321
Theory buff
70 IQ
Academically, contemporary classical music.

In my own time, mainly orchestral and metal.
Hail
i'm a mean bully
60 IQ
avant garde and rap

i'm on-and-off trying to make prog pop/funk/indie but it's quite difficult without like-minded people to fill in the pieces
Quote by theogonia777
Hail killed MT

Quote by jongtr
I want to be Hail when I grow up.
HeretiK538
Petrol
50 IQ
I usually listen to metal and such, but I generally write ambient and psychedelic music like this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mMAfEETvA6w&feature=youtu.be

Shameful self-promotion, dgaf
Rotten Playground
Listen to me and Jameh muck about on a podcast
as if you have anything better to do.

Quote by Reverend_Taco
Grass stains on my dicks

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Pfft. Gay? Nah, gay is the manliest sex that exists.
Sickz
Jazz Musician
110 IQ
With my band, a lot of progressive metal/rock. (Dream Theater, Symphony X, Seventh Wonder, Circus Maximus etc)

My solo stuff i have two styles i mainly write in. First one is mostly like Fusion/Funk/Jazz style-ish. Other is very hardrock.

I have recently gotten into composing for orchestras and such as well though, we'll see if it goes anywhere.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright
333 IQ
I tune my G string down to E and play some open chord stuff, mix in some arpeggios and strumming, flick the amp on clean, lil bit of reverb and flanger and boom... That is the stuff that I play that I make up myself.
Jehannum
Bant
120 IQ
80s-style metal, 60s-style TV themes, trance/ambient, instrumentals with film music overtones, and solo piano stuff.

That's just what comes out. I don't force it, I record what comes out naturally without much conscious thought and then refine it a bit. It's obviously simply my influences - the types of music I've listen to and liked most through the years.
Fallenoath
My minds playin' tricks
70 IQ
Weird shit.
Just another Sheep in the design of the Almighty Machine.

-GEAR-
Gibson 60s Les Paul Tribute (Sunburst)
1999 Ibanez RG470 (TitaniumIce-MIJ)
Jackson RR3 (Trans-Red)
Peavey 6505+
Podx3
amonamarthmetal
120 IQ
nun ya business.
Gear:
Dean RC7X (Bareknuckle Coldsweat pickups)
Ibanez Rg2570Z (Bareknuckle Juggernaughts)
Schecter KM-6
Schecter Hellraiser Hybrid 7 String
Engl Powerball II
Orange PPC412
Line 6 Pod HD500X
fanapathy
B-Tuned
1,802 IQ
All sorts of stuff. Every song is so different for some reason, like I got sort of banjo metal to something that sounds like green day and then on strange days I make "pop" as in acoustic soft stuff. Most of it is metal though in my opinion.
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
200 IQ
Well I could write a song on an acoustic guitar that ends up as a death metal song once I play with the instrumentation. So generally I would say that I write songs that I like that aren't any genre.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
crispykids
10 IQ
I dabble in Major 7th feels all over the neck, then throw in some prog metal and space riffs, and when I'm in the mood I'll play something called clown music
Spambot_2
UG's rum aficionado
130 IQ
Mostly metal music with rap lyrics.

I kinda feel rap lyrics are the thing to say what I feel like saying.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
Dayn
227 IQ
My main style is atmospheric and progressive, and a fusion of modern tech metal (mostly clean guitar) and various subgenres of electronica. There's a description for you. I'll be buggered if you can pin a genre on it.

And sometimes, very catchy pop rock with some tech metal sensibilities.

I also do a lot of alternative rock/country/pop/whateveryoucallit with my friend.
Ibanez RG2228 w/ EMG808Xs | Line 6 POD HD500 | Mackie HD1221
Nero Galon
Alright, Alright, Alright
333 IQ
Quote by Dayn
My main style is atmospheric and progressive, and a fusion of modern tech metal (mostly clean guitar) and various subgenres of electronica. There's a description for you. I'll be buggered if you can pin a genre on it.

And sometimes, very catchy pop rock with some tech metal sensibilities.

I also do a lot of alternative rock/country/pop/whateveryoucallit with my friend.

John Butler Trio fan much? :P
Erc
UG's ultimate asshole
50 IQ
When I compose for piano I usually compose concert etudes, but I spend most of my time improvising these days, and I usually improvise vocally (choral) inspired music. Not Christian (I'm jewish) but I do do a lot of hymn like stuff.
TDKshorty
The Swami
212 IQ
Quote by Hail
avant garde and rap

i'm on-and-off trying to make prog pop/funk/indie but it's quite difficult without like-minded people to fill in the pieces

And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
sweetdude3000
110 IQ
Quote by Hail
avant garde and rap

Faith No More or Bad Brains all the way
Emperor's Child
Isn't It?
314 IQ
I listen to a lot of Jazz based Metal now but it really isn't in my writing style so my work is still more like Pseudo-Prog Metal a la Porcupine Tree, Muse or Karnivool... Melancholic as hell.
GMx
40 IQ
Though I write mostly indie rock songs, I've written songs in many different styles: metal, pop (the british kind of pop), 6/8 rock ballads, hard rock, etc. It depends on my mood and what I've been listening to recently.
wafflesyrup
60 IQ
I don't write songs. I play music, and music conforms to no demographic.

Pretentious statement of the day.