am i wasting my time trying to mess around with my strumming technique to get it sounding clear? The sound of my strumming is a real stumbling block and i'm not sure why it sounds so muddy and garbled.

I don't know if i'm just being unrealistic with my expectations or what.
tough one.... as described,it could be crappy string issues, pick type that your using, humidity, crappy guitar or technique. possibly a combination of some or all. could you post a quick video maybe?
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
tough one.... as described,it could be crappy string issues, pick type that your using, humidity, crappy guitar or technique. possibly a combination of some or all. could you post a quick video maybe?

i really wish i had the courage to post a video but i just don't, haha.
It's definitely not the guitar..I actually have a Martin which only makes me feel more guilty for sounding so terrible.

I guess i sound a bit like this guy for the brief time he's just strumming. I'm not saying this guy is bad because he's clearly miles and miles ahead of me..It's just not the sound i want to produce.

there's a sort of twang in it that i don't like and i'm not sure if i can get rid of this with technique or a string change or what.
I'm starting to wonder if i just have a bad touch
Last edited by CricketBat at Jun 21, 2013,
If it's a question of skin or a pick i'd go for a pick, I play with my fingers when i'm looking for a softer, duller sound, this also brings about less clarity. Perhaps look at your tone if it's a poor tone you're gonna get a messy sound. My best tip would be look at your tone and strum more gently.

Strumming closer to the bridge when string tension is higher might help you achieve more brightness and clarity also.
I think being comfortable with both approaches is the way to go. Certain styles will sound better with/wo a pick and just knowing how you are feeling is going to benefit how you play. IMHO its about being relaxed when you are playing and just enjoying yourself
I think it was David Crosby that said in his heyday, (they finger picked everything), "when I want a pick sound, I squeeze the thump and index finger together and use a little nail".

OK, I flat pick most things, but I do use the middle & ring for hybrid picking.

With your Martin, as bassy as they are, you probably might need to go the fake nails route if you want to have a "sting" to your sound. You can also paint your nails with crazy glue, because steel strings will wear them down in a hurry.

If you're looking for twang, the videos you're watching probably were done on a very new set of strings, perhaps with some reverb added for good measure.

If your touch is too heavy you'll get mud as well. For softer stuff, I'd just turn up the amp while using a lighter touch, and turn it down for stuff with a lot of dynamic content. (Yeah I know, that sounds counter-intuitive,. But with acoustic, you really don't want to overdrive the amp).

I almost always use a touch of amp when I play, just enough to fill out the sound. I'm sorry if that throws my reply off a bit for you.
I play steel strings finger style, your nails are the key as skin just don't cut it man! I often get funny looks from people when they see I have manicured nails on my right hand LOL!
I mainly strum with my fingernails, index going down and thumb coming up. It definitely does not have as much volume or clarity as a pick, but I'm used to it now. To me it feels more natural.....either that or I'm too lazy to look for all the picks I've lost. Probably the latter.