As a corollary to this thread - https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1606529 - what do you do with your arms when you're, say, standing in line? I've recently become really self conscious about what I do with my arms so I'm looking for suggestions.

ftr here's a little primer -
'Crossed arms might indicate that a person is feel defensive, self-protective, or closed-off.

Standing with hands placed on the hips can be an indication that a person is ready and in control, or it can also possibly be a sign of aggressiveness.

Clasping the hands behind the back might indicate that a person is feeling bored, anxious, or even angry.

Rapidly tapping fingers or fidgeting can be a sign that a person is bored, impatient, or frustrated.

Crossed legs can indicate that a person is feeling closed off or in need of privacy.'

I put my hands on my hips a lot which looks kind of goofy because of how skinny I am but ask me if I care.

Also share any other body language tips you've picked up.
Quote by genghisgandhi
That's a bitch move though

No, not if you're actually intimidating. If you're a scrawny/overweight, socially awkward and poorly dressed recluse (90% of UG), then yea you look like an idiot.

If you're muscled, don't dress stupid, and have self-confidence, it works out quite nicely.

Beta male problems.
My God, it's full of stars!
hand on my dick
other hand on my dick
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Quote by genghisgandhi
I put my hands on my hips a lot which looks kind of goofy because of how skinny I am but ask me if I care.

Do you care?
I put my weight on one leg and loop one of my thumbs (usually left hand) through my belt loop, and the other arm kinda just hang there

or I cross my arms and put weight on one leg

usually those two. Doesn't change that often
Quote by DonGlover

You look like a young Eugene Levy, but with a moustache.

Quote by slapsymcdougal
Quote by Dreadnought
Kicking a man when he's down, I'm proud of you

When they're down is the safest time.

Soundcloud
Sharks Stanley Cup 15-16
Sharks Stanley Cup 16-17,,,,?
Quote by Dreadnought
Cross them and look unfriendly.

This.

Bonus points if you're holding a baby or groceries in said crossed arms.

I also pull my phone out and pretend im someone important.
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Whenever I'm in a public situation with nothing to be doing I always bring out my phone and flick through my apps.
I always cut my arms off and lay them on the floor. That way someone who's been reading a pop psychology article on the placement of my arms, can't figure out what my body language is saying.
Quote by Dreadnought
Cross them

Quote by Nelsean
I also pull my phone out and pretend im someone important.

Mostly these two.

Occasionally I try to do something with my hands and the pockets but then I feel dumb and awkward and go back to crossin.
A lot of the time I'm drumming against my leg or hip cause I have a song in my head or listening to Ipod.

I also tend to cross my legs at the ankles when lounging but I tend to correct myself "POSTURE FFS, LEGS UNCROSSED LIKE A MAN"
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
in pockets or put one out against the wall (horizontal forearm support) and get a nice lean in as i take care of my procrastinated phone business with the free hand. gotta keep it comfy dudes, you are in a line anyways might as well get some shit done and comfort is key. nobody cares about what you are doing (and if they do why should you care).
I usually alternate between keeping them at my sides or crossed. I've never really thought about it to be honest. I just do it subconsciously.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Quote by Nameless742
A lot of the time I'm drumming against my leg or hip cause I have a song in my head or listening to Ipod.

I also tend to cross my legs at the ankles when lounging but I tend to correct myself "POSTURE FFS, LEGS UNCROSSED LIKE A MAN"

This ^
When standing, I'll usually put my weight on one leg with my hands on my hips and/or stand on the sides of my feet/shoes while drumming on myself with my fingers, swaying back and forth, nodding my head, self-consciously adjusting my eyebrows, and making percussive sounds with my mouth.
i git off my bitch ass n do sum fukn push 'm' ups m8 i kin binch 103.246 lbs cuz f all dem push 'm' ups i do m8 ya
Thumbs in pockets. Leaves your hands pointing toward your crotch and looks confident.

alpha as fukk
Cross them or put them in my pocket or clap them together or something.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by bradulator
put them in my pocket or clap them together or something.

Basically this. I have gotten self conscious about this too. I've made an effort to stop crossing my arms like I'm angry or whatever.

Edit: I sometimes do the hands on hips thing subconsciously, but unlike genghis, I kind of care and am trying to stop that too.

I don't know what I'm supposed to do.
Last edited by slipknot5678 at Jun 21, 2013,
I also just kinda fidget with things like a kid. Like if there's a wall I tap against it or play with the lines on it or something.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I think it's interesting to point out that in an age where everyone has their phones/ipods in their hands at all times, it has suddenly become weird to not be doing anything with your arms/hands.

That said, for me hands in pockets or arms crossed.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
in pockets or put one out against the wall (horizontal forearm support) and get a nice lean in as i take care of my procrastinated phone business with the free hand. gotta keep it comfy dudes, you are in a line anyways might as well get some shit done and comfort is key. nobody cares about what you are doing (and if they do why should you care).

wow this is actually good advice
you're a stone fox
This is so strange to think about. If it's a really long line I'm on my phone. Short line or tolerable medium line, I don't do anything with my arms. they're just at my sides unless I'm carrying something.

Or I find a place to sit where I can still be in line.

Oh yeah body language tips. I'll post that documentary I mentioned in the other thread
cat
Wave em in the air like you just don't care.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown