Hi. What do you guys think is better ? I have yet to try these guitar, haven't played them yet.

- Takamine EG340C

Series: G Series Dreadnoughts
Color: Natural
Body Material: Spruce Top with Mahogany Back and Sides
Body Shape: Dreadnought Cutaway
Body Back: Mahogany
Body Sides: Mahogany
Body Top: Spruce
Body Finish: Gloss
Rosette: Abalone
Position Inlays: Abalone Dot
Fingerboard: Rosewood
Neck Finish: Gloss
Nut Width: 1.675" (42.5 mm)
Special Electronics: TP4T Preamp with 3-band EQ and Built-in Tuner
Controls: Volume Control, 3-Band EQ
Hardware Finish: Gold-Plated
Bridge: Rosewood
Tuning Machines: Gold Die-Cast with Pearl Buttons
Strings: D'Addario® EXP 16 Coated Phosphor Bronze (.012-.053 Gauges)

- Ibanez AEL20E

body shape AEL Body
top Flamed Maple Top
back & sides Maple Back & Sides
neck Mahogany Neck
pickup Fishman® Sonicore Pickup
preamp Ibanez SST Preamp
tuning machine Gold Ibanez Smooth Tuner AS
nut & saddles Ibanez Ivorex II™ Nut & Saddle
bridge pins Ibanez Advantage™ Bridge Pins
strap button Ibanez Strap Button for Acoustic Guitars
rosette Abalone Rosette
bridge & fretboard Rosewood Bridge & Fretboard

I'm also just new in guitars, only been playing for 6 months and i like fingerstyle type of playing.

Thanks a lot.
These are both laminate top guitars. The Takamine is probably the better of the two, as it will sound warmer than the laminate maple of the Ibanez.

In this price range, you would do well to look at the Yamaha FGX-700SC.

This has a solid top(!) (generally better sound), a cutaway also, and comes in at three flat. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fgx700sc-solid-top-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar

I have an Ibanez AEL10BKLH, and an "Exotic Wood" ash model. They're OK, but my solid top Fender "Sonoran" is a fair amount more resonant, with its all solid spruce top.

I think the Fender CD100 (?) is solid top as well.

Whichever of these you can get a chance to play, you should give them a go.
Quote by Captaincranky
These are both laminate top guitars. The Takamine is probably the better of the two, as it will sound warmer than the laminate maple of the Ibanez.

In this price range, you would do well to look at the Yamaha FGX-700SC.

This has a solid top(!) (generally better sound), a cutaway also, and comes in at three flat. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guitars/yamaha-fgx700sc-solid-top-cutaway-acoustic-electric-guitar

I have an Ibanez AEL10BKLH, and an "Exotic Wood" ash model. They're OK, but my solid top Fender "Sonoran" is a fair amount more resonant, with its all solid spruce top.

I think the Fender CD100 (?) is solid top as well.

Whichever of these you can get a chance to play, you should give them a go.

Thanks for that but in the place where i live, there are limited brands available on the market. By the way, what do you think of an Ibanez AEG8E, i have a friend who have a similar to this, thin body which i really like. By the way like i said i'm only been playing for 6 months.

Thanks.
I don't know what your situation is, but any of the large etailers have all these guitars in stock, and ready to go. I don't know if you have means to buy them online though. And it's probably none of my business. Still, any of the guitars you fancy can be had with no tax, free shipping from them.

Your profile doesnt show a location. If it somewhere in Somalia, all bets are off, but the USA and Canada all have online suppliers.

I'd stay away from thin body guitars. Most of them, even high end products, sound like crap when they're not plugged in.

With that said, are you comfortable with the Jumbo AEL Ibanez or the dreadnought Takamine? Because big bodies give big sound. Especially in the bottom registers. Is that what you're looking for?

I've heard the Ibanez AEG18, (that's a step down in size from the AEL), but it's optimized to prevent feedback and sounds like cardboard as a result. I plucked a couple of strings and didn't bother taking it down from the wall.

Like I said, if you're in the US, the big retailers will hook you up with a payment plan or credit card, (within certain limits, of course).
Quote by Captaincranky
I'd stay away from thin body guitars. Most of them, even high end products, sound like crap when they're not plugged in.

It's far outside of his budget, but the Taylor T5 actually sounds decent unplugged.

Back on topic... The Takamine G series isn't a bad guitar. My wife has one. It's a little darker sounding than I prefer, but it's a decent player.
i see fender and yamaha for sale in a lot of countries. are you sure you can't find a yamaha somewhere?
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Quote by KG6_Steven
It's far outside of his budget, but the Taylor T5 actually sounds decent unplugged.
Well, I suppose you could say the same thing about my Crafter 12 string hybrids, which are T-5 knockoffs. Some people actually prefer the 6 string Crafters to the T-5. I always take that with a grain of salt though, as it might just be "sour grapes".

With that said, they aren't really an acoustic experience. The semi-hollow body with a full length tone block, has sustain the likes of which you won't really find with a pure acoustic body.

TBH, I'm not sure if the T-5 is more Gretsch like, without the sustain block though....?
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 22, 2013,
Quote by Captaincranky
I don't know what your situation is, but any of the large etailers have all these guitars in stock, and ready to go. I don't know if you have means to buy them online though. And it's probably none of my business. Still, any of the guitars you fancy can be had with no tax, free shipping from them.

Your profile doesnt show a location. If it somewhere in Somalia, all bets are off, but the USA and Canada all have online suppliers.

With that said, are you comfortable with the Jumbo AEL Ibanez or the dreadnought Takamine? Because big bodies give big sound. Especially in the bottom registers. Is that what you're looking for?

I've heard the Ibanez AEG18, (that's a step down in size from the AEL), but it's optimized to prevent feedback and sounds like cardboard as a result. I plucked a couple of strings and didn't bother taking it down from the wall.

Like I said, if you're in the US, the big retailers will hook you up with a payment plan or credit card, (within certain limits, of course).

I'm from the Philippines, there are limited brands of guitar models here. The only Yamaha for my budget available here is the Yamaha FX310-A.

I have yet to try to see for myself which of the 2 (Takamine EG340c or Ibanez AEG8E)

Why is that many hate Ibanez ?
Why? Even though they make some expensive guitars, I guess most people associate Ibanez with their cheaper products. Right or wrong, I know I do.
Quote by Neepleez
Why is that many hate Ibanez ?
Partly because it's fashionable to do so. I have two, both laminate tops. They're good, far from great. Ibanez puts a lot into aesthetics, it could be drawn as a conclusion they're "all show and no go". So, generally they're Acoustic Electric in every sense of the term. You could get an even more violent reaction here if you suggested you were buying a Dean acoustic...

Many people own Ibanez acoustic guitars, and are quite happy with them.

My Fender solid top "Sonoran", arguably sounds better, yet really doesn't seem to be built as well. The all laminate Ibbys are built like a tank

However, my AEL10 sounds great plugged in, and uses only 2(!) AA pencells in the preamp, instead of those stinking, expensive, and hard to find on sale, 9 volt jobbies.
Quote by Neepleez
So guys, what would be your choice?

Takamine EG340c or Ibanez AEG8E
The Takamine. Here's why, the spruce top will generally be more mellow. Takamine electronics are as well thought of as the Ibanez equivalents.

I think the Tak may have a better unplugged sound than the thinner Ibanez, but with both plugged in, it's likely a dead heat, and the Ibanez is thinner so it would be easier to play standing up.

If this is what you've narrowed it down to, and you can play both of them, why not let your instinct about which guitar, "speaks to you the most", and base your decision on that.

I know guitars are a big investment, even mid line products such as these. If you get too bogged down in the decision making process, you'll be playing what you have now, forever.

If this isn't the best guitar buying decision in the rest of your life, so be it. Guess what, they're still looking for the Holy Grail as well.

Many of the members here have high end instruments, and very strong opinions about what they like, and that does make it difficult to get a dialog going.

OK, so the Takamine will likely sound the darkest, and may need 80/20 brass strings to give of its best.

The flamed maple Ibanez, has the top material working against it, but it would also have the punchiest and tightest bottom end due to its size and jumbo shape. My ash model has a sort of intriguing growl in the bass, and a decent sounding chorus in the preamp.

The AEG Ibanez will likely have the thinnest sound unplugged, but it could also have a better balance to your ears.

It is a pity that you don't have more options available to you. There's Cort, Recording King Seagull, Walden, and a host of others. Would that make your decision harder? Most likely it would.

Buy the one that speaks to you, that's the best advice I can come up with.

Remember, these are all AE instruments you're looking at, and a decent small amp, (not even turned way up), along with the on-board preamp & EQ, can cure more ills faster, than throwing a whole lot more money at a way better guitar.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 22, 2013,
The new Takamine Pro Series are a great buy for the working musician. Fantastic guitar. Solid front and back, great pickup. And for the quality of guitar they are a great price. I bought the Takamine P3DC 3 months ago and love it.