I know what you're thinking; "Why in the hell would I want something like this?"

Well...

My ENGL e530 preamp seems to have something wrong with it, and it's not a tube/fuse/anything I can fix. Therefor, I would like a good modeling VST to replace it for now and to use for recording purposes in the future. I've tried the trials of Guitar Rig 5 and AmpliTube, and I definitely like AmpliTube better, but I was wondering if there is anything else I could look at?

My DAW: Ableton Live 9
Guitar: Schecter Omen-8 with DiMarzio DiActivators
Budget: About $200

Anything that handles medium-high gain well. I use cleans, but I'm not as worried about cleans as I am distortion.
there are tons of free ones. i just google 'free amp sim VST' every once in a while and download a few new ones. no shortage of free VST's it seems.
punk isn't dead, it's always smelled that way.

"A perfection of means, and confusion of aims, seems to be our main problem."
-ae
Thanks. I'll definitely look into it, but I'm a firm believer in "You get what you pay for." If it turns out to be a different story here, that's fantastic, but I don't have my hopes up.

EDIT: After re-amping a recording with some LePou plugins, I see that I was wrong. The biggest problem seems to be getting one that's not a cpu hog. Any out there?
Last edited by The.new.guy at Jun 21, 2013,
From the free ones I can think of one called LePou (Canadian) that was fairly decent on the Laney emulation.

Personally I am not very impressed by vst's - they sound almost there but there is a bit missing. I'd have that preamp looked at by a tech - hopefully it might be a small charge like $100 to get you back and running with it.

There are quite a few companies that do sims and some new ones that seem to do higher gain better. I've heard good things about Peavey's emulation software (Revalver?), here is a list by a magazine that just came out:
http://www.musicradar.com/news/tech/the-11-best-vst-guitar-ampeffect-modelling-plug-ins-in-the-world-today-427789#!7

I think Overloud was the other one that's been mentioned a lot lately.
In addition to Amplitube/GuitarRig/Poulin

Metal Amp Room
Mellowmuse Mellowhead
AcmeBarGig Shred
Overloud TH2
MAGIX Vandal

To name a few. These are all suites like Amplitube and GuitarRig, not individual amp VSTs like the Poulins. Check out the Recording forums for more info. There's a lot of good quality free metal amp VSTs around, and there's a thread in the recording forum that lists a lot of them.

Make sure to also get good cab Impulse Responses. There's also a lot of good free ones, but paid packages tend to be cheap-ish.
Last edited by Seref at Jun 21, 2013,
Bottom of this page. Enjoy

http://www.tseaudio.com/software.html

EDIT: The amp vsts are generally all very good, but I find to make them shine you need a high quality IR. I bought a few models from RedWirez and have never looked back, you can get them for about $5 each and it's worth every cent.
Last edited by AxSilentxLine at Jun 21, 2013,
There's a whole sticky dedicated to VSTs etc over in the recordings forum. Seems odd that you'd start a thread about recording software somewhere else.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Metal Amp Room for metal
White Amp Room for classic rock
bx_rockrack pro for modern rock
Guitar rig for cleans

At least that's what I found they do best.
Name's Luca.

Quote by OliOsbourne
I don't know anything about this topic, but I just clicked on this thread because of your username :O
Quote by Cajundaddy
Clue: amplifiers amplify so don't turn it on if you need quiet.
Quote by chrismendiola
I guess spambots are now capable of reading minds.
^^ you also have a Laney VC30?

I've been here for a few years, and I could never find someone with the same amp, just to compare/talk about?

Now I saw your sig, and past week I saw that some other people played them as well here. rad.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx

I've been here for a few years, and I could never find someone with the same amp, just to compare/talk about?

Now I saw your sig, and past week I saw that some other people played them as well here. rad.

I've been thinking of getting one, what do you think of it?

I really can't help with VST's, actually I have similar problems as TS. I'll just lurk in here
Quote by guitar/bass95
I've been thinking of getting one, what do you think of it?

I really can't help with VST's, actually I have similar problems as TS. I'll just lurk in here

In shirt. Dirt channel when cranked up to classic rock, but that's it.

Clean channel amazing spanky, but warmer then a twin imo.

Reverb slightly weakish.

I just got it for the clean channel, because it's so dynamically responsive and colorful.

For dirt I use a Orange RV50 combo MK1.

Which also has a nice clean channel, but not as clean as the laney, which I am actually happy for, because I also like slightly over-driven cleans.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Quote by xxdarrenxx

Yep There are a few others round these parts that have them too.

Awesome amp - works well at low volumes for practicing at home too. Usually run all my pedals in front of it, then have the drive channel set to add gain & volume for solos.
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by Spambot_2
Metal Amp Room for metal
White Amp Room for classic rock
bx_rockrack pro for modern rock
Guitar rig for cleans

At least that's what I found they do best.

The problem with the Amp Rooms is that they don't let you bypass the cabs so you can use your own IR Loader. Which is a shame because the Amp Rooms are some of the best VSTs out there and being able to use whatever IR you want would just make them absolutely phenomenal.
Get Overloud TH2.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by GaryBillington
There's a whole sticky dedicated to VSTs etc over in the recordings forum. Seems odd that you'd start a thread about recording software somewhere else.

I wouldn't be using it for recording mainly. At least, not until I get my amp fixed.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!
Quote by The.new.guy
I wouldn't be using it for recording mainly. At least, not until I get my amp fixed.

Thanks for the replies, everyone!

That doesn't change the fact that you're talking about recording software. The only difference is you only monitor the sound without hitting the record button.
EVH 5150 III LBXII
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by GaryBillington
That doesn't change the fact that you're talking about recording software. The only difference is you only monitor the sound without hitting the record button.

I see your point, but try to see mine. I wasn't thinking of it as recording software, and I didn't take the time to think it through very much. I apologize for the miss-post, nonetheless.
Honestly, you don't even need to spend money to get great tone any more. I recorded this recently and the only thing on the guitars I used that cost money are the cabinet models (RedWirez) everything else is a free VST I run on Ableton Live 8. (LePou LE456 - Engl Powerball II model, TSEX50 - Peavey 6505 model). This is a full produced mix, but if you run 2 channels in stereo just as a monitor it sounds beast, I do all my home practise this way.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/AxSilentxLine/music/all/play1201695