I want to a get delay pedal to add to my board. I don't have a specific budget but I am looking in the $150 range. Two pedals that I have my eye on are the TC Electronic Flashback and the Hardwire DL-8 but I would like some more recommendations. Also, I would not mind going used to save a little extra money.
Do you want digital or analog? Do you want clean repeats or repeats that tend to trail off or even distort in some respect. Out of those two I'd go with the flashback. For $150 you could look into the Carbon Copy, or my personal favorite the Malekko Ekko 616. If you can describe a little bit more in detail about what you want your delay to do you'll get many more options, you have a pretty decent price range for most choices.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
For $150 I would definitely get a used Boss Giga Delay. Super nice if you have the space and want the versatility.

If you want something simple, really can't go wrong with a simple MXR Carbon Copy.

If you want new and you don't want simple, either of the two you mentioned would be good. I would probably go for the Hardwire. But you can't go wrong with either.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 22, 2013,
Malekko 616..
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
If you're looking at those two you could also look at the Boss DD-7. The 3 all have very similar features. One thing that sold me on the DD7 is the external tap tempo jack, durability, and the neat modes (analog, reverse, chorus).
Of course if you don't even need stuff like that (or looping) then you could save some serious cash and get a DD3.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I'd go with the Flashback. I have the x4 version and I love it. You'll still be able to tell the difference between an analog delay and a digital model, but between the Tape, Space, Analog, and Analog w/mod channels on it you're pretty much set. It would be nice if you could export loops to an external, but it's not a dedicated looper anyway.

If you want something analog, you can't go wrong with a Carbon Copy or Way Huge Aquapuss. I used to have the Aquapuss and I miss doing 'time warp' shit with the Delay knob.
Last edited by Iommianity at Jun 22, 2013,
I would not advise an aquapuss. They sound good, but only have a 300ms delay. The malekko 616 and iirc the carbon copy both have 600ms delays.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Quote by Iommianity
I'd go with the Flashback. I have the x4 version and I love it. You'll still be able to tell the difference between an analog delay and a digital model, but between the Tape, Space, Analog, and Analog w/mod channels on it you're pretty much set. It would be nice if you could export loops to an external, but it's not a dedicated looper anyway.

Heh, I'd recommend him the Flashback x4 for absolute versatility. 3 different delays with a stomp on a switch, which is why I'd get one and I am getting one as we speak, just need to wait for my birthday.

Here's a good video to show you why:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1KqdMAaVRiA
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Maybe I don't have as much sense or experience as those who posted before me. X) But, for the price, if you want a simple, good quality analog delay, perhaps look into an Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy. About $20 less than a Carbon Copy, but with similar controls and "similar" analog tone.
I have the Line 6 Echo Park and it has Digital, Analog and Tape emulations.
Good and clean sound and many features while it is really solid.
Dissonance is underrated.
Quote by tdiaz8492
Maybe I don't have as much sense or experience as those who posted before me. X) But, for the price, if you want a simple, good quality analog delay, perhaps look into an Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy. About $20 less than a Carbon Copy, but with similar controls and "similar" analog tone.

If you want a delay, I'd stay away from the memory toy/boy. They tend to take over your sound instead of just repeating what you're playing. I couldn't ever use mine with the blend above 9 o'clock. They're much better to use like a chorus or a reverb, something too add space to your sound. The carbon copy's repeats are a lot more defined and solid than the MB/MT.
Quote by patriotplayer90
Lolz that guy is a noob.

Egnater
Leave it on the press, Depress Depress Taboot Taboot.
Quote by jpnyc
The Guitar Fetish delay pedal (It’s a rebranded Biyang, so just find a Biyang dealer if you’re not in the USA) is only $56 and it’s great. Easy to use, built like a tank, and covers very short to very long delay. The warm analog color it gives the tone is ****ing delicious.
http://www.guitarfetish.com/NEW-DESIGN-Pro-Delay-Classic-Vintage-Echoplex-Style_p_1081.html

I'm unsure of this pedal, BUT I did just get a Biyang Baby Boom Time Machine. From my understanding, it is a digital delay, that mimics an analog.. pretty darn good if you ask me. It sounds awesome, is extremely versatile, and was only $49 NEW.

Look up Biyang, and you won't find a single bad review. From my readings, Biyang is the oldest and largest effects pedal manufacturer in the world, and many bigger name companies use their circuits, or just re-brand their pedals.

I prefer the Time Machine over my Carbon copy, any day!
Quote by Sakke
Heh, I'd recommend him the Flashback x4 for absolute versatility. 3 different delays with a stomp on a switch, which is why I'd get one and I am getting one as we speak, just need to wait for my birthday.

I just bought a flashback a few months ago and would also suggest the x4 model. The sounds are good, but if you have a few you like, it can be a pain to set them up.
Quote by black_box
I just bought a flashback a few months ago and would also suggest the x4 model. The sounds are good, but if you have a few you like, it can be a pain to set them up.

You can store the presets and even create your own toneprints and change the values the knobs change? I doubt that after that it'd be a pain to set them up. Sure the first time takes a while, but when you've found your sound, you can just plug in and be happy
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Quote by Sakke
You can store the presets and even create your own toneprints and change the values the knobs change? I doubt that after that it'd be a pain to set them up. Sure the first time takes a while, but when you've found your sound, you can just plug in and be happy

I have the original Flashback and the manual doesn't indicate you can store settings aside from the single TonePrint option. Perhaps I'm missing something. If I set a short delay for the 2290 mode, switch to the Tape mode, the same short delay is set. If I change it to a long delay on Tape mode, then switch back to 2290, its a long delay on 2290. That's why I'm suggesting the Flashback x4, so you can store those delay values (and other parameters).
I have the TC Electronics Transition (basically the Flashback). I think it provides great versatility. The presets are great and the tone print option adds another dimension. The loop function is good for songwriting or practice sessions (without having to actually purchase a loop station). My only gripe is that it doesn't have tap tempo. If that isn't a concern for you, then the Flashback would be great for you
The flashback has "strum tempo." Press and hold the button (which mutes the output) and strum a few quarter notes.
Quote by black_box
I have the original Flashback and the manual doesn't indicate you can store settings aside from the single TonePrint option. Perhaps I'm missing something. If I set a short delay for the 2290 mode, switch to the Tape mode, the same short delay is set. If I change it to a long delay on Tape mode, then switch back to 2290, its a long delay on 2290. That's why I'm suggesting the Flashback x4, so you can store those delay values (and other parameters).

You actually may be right, I'm just working from a video basis, I've yet to try the pedal personally but I'm 100% convinced that I'll buy it in 3 weeks time.

But on x4, you have 4 Toneprints instead of 1.

Quote by black_box
The flashback has "strum tempo." Press and hold the button (which mutes the output) and strum a few quarter notes.

I forgot to mention that, thanks for backup. It was on the video I posted above though.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard

Last edited by Sakke at Jun 23, 2013,
I may have missed this, but OP are you set on digital? Or analog? Have you played with an analog delay before for enough to develop an opinion ?

There are reasons for both a digital could obviously get more of an analog preset, but its not quite the same.

The only thing that i use a digital would be for tap tempo. Some analog delays do have it but certainly a minority.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7

Quote by trashedlostfdup

Quote by andersondb7

****** NEW NEW NEW!
I have the dl-8 hardwire and its a pretty good pedal. Plenty of options and delay time. I like the analog setting personally.