First post. Hi guys.

So, changing the strings on my new Ibanez RG2228a the other day when suddenly the saddle on the high b gets loose and moves all the way forward. Then it occurs to me: I have never in my life messed with saddles on a guitar. And of course never before on an FX Edge iii either. I've heard that messing with the saddles can mess up the intonation on the rest of the guitar if you don't do it right. But then again this bridge is pretty different from most other ones.

Tips? Advice? What the hell am I even supposed to be doing? Edge III or otherwise how can you know when the position is right?
If you've never adjusted your saddles, your intonation could easily been off all along. You adjust the saddles to set the intonation.

Tune your guitar normally, then fret at the 12th fret, and if that note is too flat, move the saddles back, and if it's too sharp, move the saddles forward.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
If you've never adjusted your saddles, your intonation could easily been off all along. You adjust the saddles to set the intonation.

Tune your guitar normally, then fret at the 12th fret, and if that note is too flat, move the saddles back, and if it's too sharp, move the saddles forward.

Hm... easier said than done. On the edge iii bridge, the saddle screws are beneath the string.

^not my guitar

but anyways, you can't exactly fret the guitar while it's loose, and you can't adjust the saddle while the string is in.

I may have to take out the string. adjust the saddle, restring, retune, check, repeat as needed. I'm in for a fun afternoon on my day off...
Listen. I'm sorry.
Yeah, it's just stupid/bad design. Most bridges have the saddle adjustment under the string. A lot of new Ibanez designs have the adjustment screws more accessible though. Guitar innovation is very slow moving, unfortunately.

Depending on your allen key, you might be able to get in between the string and the screw.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 22, 2013,