Hi,

I'm planning to buy a new guitar for metal, since I have a Squier Affinity Strat right now.
I have tried a Jackson JS35 in the store and I really like it, but I haven't found much about it on the Internet. It costs €359 (~$470) including taxes, but I may get a little discount, they said. However, I saw a JS32 on the Internet for only €349 which is about $13 cheaper and seems to be a more recent model.

My question is:
What's the difference between the two models? Is it worth to buy the older one for about the same price?

BTW, both of them have Floyd Rose. They seem really similar to me.
Oh, and the amp I'm planning to buy with it is a Marshall MG15CFR. I think it really rocks for such a low price.

Thanks in advance,

Tami
Whatever you do avoid that amp it's total crap. Look into something like a Peavey Bandit or a modelling amp (Line 6/Peavey ). Having a good guitar won't make much of a difference through a bad amp.
The js35's seem to be newer and have cvr2 pickups rather than cvr's, although they're probably more or less the same. Also the js35's seem to be made of alder rather than indian cedro like the js32. And for the love of god don't buy an Mg15, its total crap, buy a Peavey Vypyr or Roland Cube
My Gear:
BC Rich Gunslinger Retro Blade
Vintage V100 Paradise + SD Alnico Pro Slash APH-2's
1963 Burns Short Scale Jazz Guitar
Dean Performer Florentine
Bugera 6260
Orange Micro Terror + cab
Digitech Bad Monkey
Zoom G2G
I strongly disagree with you about the amp.
Modelling amps like Vypyr and the Line6 crap are useless. I'm pretty sure that the Marshall is a better choice with great and relatively wide range of sound. For that price, obviously. The brand is better too. I also have talked with a professional guitarist who told me the same. And the Bandit may be nice, but it's expensive and although it's especially good for metal, it doesn't sound as good as the Marshall.

And really? Is the JS35 the newer one? When were they released? I'm unable to find any information about it. I just saw somewhere that the JS35 was the first one.
Quote by tami626
Modelling amps like Vypyr and the Line6 crap are useless. I'm pretty sure that the Marshall is a better choice with great and relatively wide range of sound. For that price, obviously. The brand is better too. I also have talked with a professional guitarist who told me the same. And the Bandit may be nice, but it's expensive and although it's especially good for metal, it doesn't sound as good as the Marshall.

Good luck, you are gonna get bashed to #$@#$ for this...

I agree that the MG is not as bad as everyone says. But it is still crap. I've played through MG's plenty of times (my guitar teacher has one for students) and own a vypyr of myself. The Vypyr destroys the MG. You make a very big mistake by saying that the brand is good. The more expensive marshall amps are brilliant. The lower priced versions are not. The target customers for these are young amd/or beginning players that want a marshall. You will get true marshall but you won't be getting the true Marshall sound.

the vypyr and cube are IMO (and 99% of all other players) better.
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Ibanez Deluxe 59'er model
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive pedal
Well, it seems I'm in the other 1% of people .
I don't understand, how could a modelling amp like that sound better than the Marshall. I have tried it at the store. The clean is perfect and the overdrive is pretty good too. I believe there isn't any amp which sounds much better than the MG15, for a price like that.

I'll try both of the guitars and decide which one I want.

Anyway, thanks for the effort .
Ive played into both, a vypyr 30 and a MG30, the vypyr just blows the MG out of the water in terms of versatility and sound quality. Dont go by the brand name and get yourself a Vypyr 15.
MG's are a complete waste of money. Get a Vypyr.

I don't even like Marshall amps anyway. Not even their high-end ones compared to others in such a price range.
Roses are red
Violets are blue
Omae wa mou
Shindeiru

Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by tami626
I don't understand, how could a modelling amp like that sound better than the Marshall. I have tried it at the store. The clean is perfect and the overdrive is pretty good too. I believe there isn't any amp which sounds much better than the MG15, for a price like that.

If you love the sound better than the vypyr, than by all means get it, after all you are the one that is going to play it. But let me really stress this out. Just because there is Marshall on the nameplate, does not mean that you can compare it to for example a JCM800. I've heard both the MG, a high end marshall (can't remember exact model) and the vypyr side by side. The vypyr on the plexi channel came closer to the sound of the high end marshall than the MG did. The high end marshall pretty much oblitterated both of them, but you really could hear that the MG lacked in sound. Just compare them in a music shop side by side and you will hear it.

For the guitar, watch out with cheaper guitars with floyds. These floyds are usually made of softer metals and wear down a lot faster. replacing to a real OFR is usually not worth it considering the buying price of the guitars.

Good luck in your search!
Schecter C-1 Custom
Ibanez Iceman ICT700
Ibanez Deluxe 59'er model
Peavey Vypyr 30
Boss SD-2 Dual Overdrive pedal
Quote by tami626

I'll try both of the guitars and decide which one I want.

Anyway, thanks for the effort .

Either a troll or never had better.
Ibanez Prestige RG852MPB
Ibanez Prestige RG652KFX
ESP E-II M-1
LTD AW-7
Schecter Loomis NT
EVH 5150 III 50
PRS 212 DB
Line 6 POD HD500X
Deadhorse OD/Boss HM-2
Youd be better off buying a higher end 2nd hand Jackson/Charvel they destroy the JS series!

Look at the 1980's jap built Charvel Model series ALL CLASS! My 1988 Model 6 will be with me for life!

Also you might pick up a used USA Jackson from the 80's for USD$800.

Trust me mate you'll be better off in the long run, you buy the JS now sure you'll like it its new but in 6 months time once you've learnt what to appreciate in guitars you'll hate it! Then you'll be $470 out of pocket wanting a better guitar!

Go used n get a higher end guitar!

Thats what ive done n now i have that high end Charvel import ($550) whigh is a soloist model and a USA Randy Rhoads 1 that i got for $1000
USA Jackson RR1
Charvel Model 6
Jackson Performer-2
Orange Dark Terror
Hughes & Kettner 112 V30
Hey I wouldn't recommend either of the two guitars because I've got doubt they whether they are going to stay in tune if you have plan to use the tremolo arm of the stock Floyd Rose system a lot. But if you can swap it with a genuine Floyd Rose tremolo system or the Edge-Zero tremolo system that is featured on the Ibanez Prestige guitars you will be able to do frequent dive-bombs or other tremolo arm stuffs a lot without going out of tune. But if you don't want to use the tremolo arm then I'd say go for something that features a fixed bridge or a Vintage Trem system(it has a whammy bar that can be used for vibrato stuffs and incapable of doing tremolo arm tricks like Steve Vai). And I hope you know how to setup a Floyd Rose bridge or at least how to change strings on a Floyd Rose system. As for your amp choice Marshall MGs are not entirely bad but I think Roland Cube 20XL is better than Marshall MG15CFR. I use Marshall MG15, its just fine. But yet, at in the end both are just practice amps so finally the decision is up to you. I think for a true or signature characteristic of electric guitar sound comes from the valve amps though they are quite expensive.
I actually wanted a guitar with fixed bridge because as a beginner I was never thinking about using the Floyd Rose. It was cheaper and also simpler, but everybody said that I'm gonna need it, or that I can never know, so it's better to buy one with Floyd, because I'll end up buying another one and it would be a waste of money. It's not that expensive and after learning how to use it, it'll be easy, they said.

I bought the JS35 and ordered the amp which they don't have yet, the MG15CFR. I still don't believe that the Vypyr would be better for me. The Roland Cube 20XL costs a lot more and the most of the people I know says that the MG is even better. BTW, I have never tried a Roland Cube, so I can't be sure, but it's more expensive anyway.
Quote by tami626
I actually wanted a guitar with fixed bridge....

Its okay if you want a guitar with Floyd Rose bridge. If you want to use the tremolo arm a lot for dive bomb or other advanced tremolo arm tricks, you should learn how to maintain a Floyd Rose bridge guitar(i.e. changing strings, removing the bridge and cleaning it, setting up the bridge etc.). And later you will find out that whether you want to have a guitar with Floyd Rose or not. Mastering everything related Floyd Rose bridge takes time and a bit tedious to learn but if you like it you will buy the higher end guitars with better Floyd Rose system in future which are absolutely mind blowing and you won't have any trouble regarding the tuning issue with those guitars.

I don't know anything about Peavey Vyper but Roland Cube 20XL is really better than the Marshall MG15 or the MG15CFR. Obviously Roland Cube 20XL costs more than the MG15CFR as Cube 20XL is a modelling amp that has various effects like multi-effect processors. But you can also go for the MG15CFR, after all both are practice amps and in future you might want to have much better quality amp like Peavey 6505 Plus or even expensive Cab and amp Head.
New MG's are great - in the past they had been total ...... (I know, i still own one) New ones sound good enough to compete with others in the pricerange
Quote by stranger_23
...after all both are practice amps and in future you might want to have much better quality amp like Peavey 6505 Plus or even expensive Cab and amp Head.

Yeah, one of the best things about the MG15 is the price and it sounds great, IMO. If I'll be still interested in playing the guitar after a few years when I'll be a lot better, then I'll consider buying better stuff, if I'll have the money. But for now, the MG is just great.

BTW, there is a 2-year warranty on the guitar which includes free maintenance. Also, if I buy new strings, they'll change them for me. However, it would be better to learn it.

Oh, and how do I tune it to alternate tunings like Drop C?

Quote by Bassface7
New ones sound good enough to compete with others in the pricerange

It's good to hear that .
Quote by tami626
Oh, and how do I tune it to alternate tunings like Drop C?....

I usually tune Drop C tuning as CGCFAD. You can do it either manually or with the help of a tuner(using a tuner will be easy). Assuming your guitar is currently tuned into standard tuning eADGBE and you have a tuner:

#Step 1, tune down the low e string (the 6th string) by 2 whole steps (e>eb>D>Db>C) into C.
#Step 2, tune down the A string (the 5th string) by 1 whole step (A>Ab>G) into G.
#Step 3, tune down the D string (the 4th string) by 1 whole step (D>Db>C) into C.
#Step 4, tune down the G string (the 3rd string) by 1 whole step (G>Gb>F) into F.
#Step 5, tune down the B string (the 2nd string) by 1 whole step (B>Bb>A) into A.
#Step 6, tune down the high E string (the 1th string) by 1 whole step (e>eb>D) into D.
Quote by tami626

And really? Is the JS35 the newer one? When were they released? I'm unable to find any information about it. I just saw somewhere that the JS35 was the first one.

Marshall's known for their tube amps. Their solid-state MGs are terrible. If you don't want a modelling amp, at least get a Peavey Transtube.

And as for the Jackson, get a used X-series. Way better than the JS.
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Jun 28, 2013,
Quote by stranger_23

Quote by tami626

Oh, and how do I tune it to alternate tunings like Drop C?....

I usually tune Drop C tuning as CGCFAD. You can do it either manually or with the help of a tuner(using a tuner will be easy). Assuming your guitar is currently tuned into standard tuning eADGBE and you have a tuner:

#Step 1, tune down the low e string (the 6th string) by 2 whole steps (e>eb>D>Db>C) into C.
#Step 2, tune down the A string (the 5th string) by 1 whole step (A>Ab>G) into G.
#Step 3, tune down the D string (the 4th string) by 1 whole step (D>Db>C) into C.
#Step 4, tune down the G string (the 3rd string) by 1 whole step (G>Gb>F) into F.
#Step 5, tune down the B string (the 2nd string) by 1 whole step (B>Bb>A) into A.
#Step 6, tune down the high E string (the 1th string) by 1 whole step (e>eb>D) into D.

you should know that with a floyd rose bridge you will have to set the guitar up for a certain tuning. if you're guitar is set up for E-standard you will have to adjust the bridge when tuning it down to C. if you want to fool around with a lot of different tunings you're better off with a guitar with some kind of hard-tail bridge.

you might also want to look around in the amp field a bit more. some modelling amps sound really good, actually. but, if you really have your mind set on the MG im not stopping you.
Last edited by fretjuuh at Jun 28, 2013,
Also, if you're going to downtune to drop C with a floyd, you're going to have to keep it there.

(I'm going to attempt and explain the FR bridge, please correct me if I'm wrong)
The Floyd Rose is whats called a floating bridge. The tension between the strings, springs, curve of the truss rod keeps it floating; you can raise the pitch by pulling the tremolo up, or more commonly, lower the pitch by pushing the tremolo bar down.

If you attempt to change tunings, add another spring, change string gauges, or just change strings, you will have to rebalance the bridge. There is a link on this forum as to how to set up your floyd rose: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

This may seem like a PITA, but one of the major benefits of a good Floyd Rose system is that it will stay in tune weeks or even months longer than a traditional hardtail bridge, but only in that one specific tuning. Not trying to put you off of Floyd Rose bridges, but that's just what I know.

You should've bought a Vyper or the Cube. You'll probably understand when your ear gets better.
Caution:
This post may contain my opinion and/or inaccurate information.

Current Rig:
2006 PRS CE-24
Mesa/Boogie Mark V
Voltage S212 w/ V30's
Strymon Timeline
CMATMods Signa Drive
TC Electronics Corona & Hall of Fame
Quote by fretjuuh
you should know that with a floyd rose bridge you will have to set the guitar....

I've just showed the basics of tuning into Drop C. I know Floyd Rose bridge requires adjustments for different tunings. Changing strings as well as experimenting with different tunings are quite time consuming in a Floyd Rose guitar. I agree that hard tail or fixed bridge guitars are easy for changing tuning frequently. Moreover string gauge also plays important role for drop tunings. When the guitar is in drop tuning the strings become much looser than the standard tuning. That's why it is suggested to use heavier string gauge like 11 - 50 or 11-52 for drop tuning, because heavy strings are able to be tuned lower properly with good string tension.
Quote by AWACS
Also, if you're going to downtune to drop C with a floyd, you're going to have to keep it there.

(I'm going to attempt and explain the FR bridge, please correct me if I'm wrong)
The Floyd Rose is whats called a floating bridge. The tension between the strings, springs, curve of the truss rod keeps it floating; you can raise the pitch by pulling the tremolo up, or more commonly, lower the pitch by pushing the tremolo bar down.

If you attempt to change tunings, add another spring, change string gauges, or just change strings, you will have to rebalance the bridge. There is a link on this forum as to how to set up your floyd rose: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=614226

This may seem like a PITA, but one of the major benefits of a good Floyd Rose system is that it will stay in tune weeks or even months longer than a traditional hardtail bridge, but only in that one specific tuning. Not trying to put you off of Floyd Rose bridges, but that's just what I know.

You should've bought a Vyper or the Cube. You'll probably understand when your ear gets better.

Thanks!

It seems I'll just stay standard, for now at least.

Quote by jjfeu662
Marshall's known for their tube amps. Their solid-state MGs are terrible. If you don't want a modelling amp, at least get a Peavey Transtube.

And as for the Jackson, get a used X-series. Way better than the JS.

I don't really like the "false" sound of a modelling amp. The Envoy and Bandit were expensive .
About the used guitar, the problem is that I can't really get one where I live and don't want to buy from abroad. Besides, I don't even want a used guitar as I can never know and there usually isn't any warranty.
Quote by tami626
Thanks!

It seems I'll just stay standard, for now at least.

I don't really like the "false" sound of a modelling amp. The Envoy and Bandit were expensive .
About the used guitar, the problem is that I can't really get one where I live and don't want to buy from abroad. Besides, I don't even want a used guitar as I can never know and there usually isn't any warranty.

The Vypyr has that Transtube technology, and real analog distortion. It's nothing like that sucky Line 6 Spider.

How about an Ibanez RG321?
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by jjfeu662
How about an Ibanez RG321?

I was thinking about that too. But it wasn't at any store, so there was no way to try it, and also, it would take at least a month to deliver it, if not more. Since they had the JS35 which I heard good stuff about, I tried it and was really satisfied. Yes, maybe the RG321 would be better, but I had no chance to figure it out and didn't want to order blindly then wait for such a long time.

As I said, I already bought the JS and I'm happy with it.
BTW, the price was about the same as the RG.