when trying to play faster is it better to take it really slow so you can play without thinking or is it better to play as fast as you can without messing up
What I do is to practice at a comfortable tempo, and then make some speed bursts, then I come back to the starting tempo.
When I feel the starting tempo starts to be very easy, I increase it a few bpm (about 5) and do the same thing I said before ... and so on.
"Sans la musique, la vie serait une erreur" Nietzsche
Quote by redd9
when trying to play faster is it better to take it really slow so you can play without thinking or is it better to play as fast as you can without messing up

Its play as fast as you can while making perfect repetitions...and by perfect i mean not only in sound but in form(your hand should feel exactly the same whether it is your lower or your faster tempo,no extra tention,no flying fingers etc etc).If you do it that way you ll train your nervous system and you wont confuse it with halfp assed playing so it ll respond faster and faster in the long run.Speed is the byproduct of accuracy .
I always practice at the highest tempo i can play perfectly and at the same time comfortably. You should not have to choose one over the other, you should be able to play something spot on without having to tense up too much.
Fusion and jazz musician, a fan of most music.

Quote by Guthrie Govan
“If you steal from one person it's theft, and if you steal from lots of people it's research”

Quote by Chick Corea
"Only play what you hear. If you don't hear anything, don't play anything."
Some Russian string quartet practices the song they play in like 10 bpm (yes I'm exaggerating) and gradually increase tempo. And in the end they can play all that Paganni-stuff. Try playing it way too slow for your comfort zone until it's mind numbing so you know you don't have to think about it...
Working your way up to tempo is best, but I sometimes test myself by playing faster than I can, not practicing, but just once or twice. This helps me see the weak spots in my technique, then I slow down and concentrate a bit more on those parts. It really works well, so try it.