Vypyrs have a reputation of versatility and good quality for the price, but they still are very much beginner amps. I have no idea of the vip, but regular vypyrs imo are really good, if you want a good and versatile amp with a great price. I would probably get a regular one, since the vip apparently tries to be everything at once. For electric guitar playing only, a normal vypyr should be just fine.
Well it depends, are you actually going to be playing both bass/electric? otherwise there isn't much use in having an amp that can do both.
no, but the amp does have a lot of effects. You think I should get a regular vypyr?
Quote by ehbacon
no, but the amp does have a lot of effects. You think I should get a regular vypyr?

It's similar to the vip, it also has a fair amount of effects, and it's designed for electric guitar only. So I think it suits an electric only player better.
I've got a regular Vypyr and it sounds great. I haven't played through a VIP yet, but I have faith in the Vypyr line. I'd say go for the VIP; if it's an improvement on the original then it has to be great.
Quote by ErikLensherr
Shitting isn't a perk. Shitting is a hassle.
Quote by ehbacon
ok, I'll go with the vip. Thanks for the help!

Umm, I still recommend you to think this through. The vip isn't an improvement, it's just a vypyr that is bass and acoustic guitar compatible. And since it has a lot more modelling stuff going on, I'm sure it actually has a worse sound quality.
So now I've looked at both the Vypyr 30 and the VIP 2, I noticed they both have a lot of the same effects, the ones the the VIP 2 had that the 30 didn't I wouldn't use anyway. A big thing is the vip 2 has a USB port for home recording on the computer. Another big thing is the Vypyr 30 has an easier way of controlling the effects and distortion and what not. They are both the same price. I'm stuck, what do you guys think???
Last edited by ehbacon at Jun 22, 2013,
get a used vypyr 60 +sanpera to get control and a usb.
Quote by kangaxxter
Tone is in the fingers.

What you really need is a new amp.

(Anything I missed?)

Quote by Robbgnarly
I have been hearing about MG amps lately. I have heard good about them, but only a few times have they been talked about here.

Quote by ehbacon
So now I've looked at both the Vypyr 30 and the VIP 2, I noticed they both have a lot of the same effects, the ones the the VIP 2 had that the 30 didn't I wouldn't use anyway. A big thing is the vip 2 has a USB port for home recording on the computer. Another big thing is the Vypyr 30 has an easier way of controlling the effects and distortion and what not. They are both the same price. I'm stuck, what do you guys think???

Think of that in this way: They are both the same price, but for that price the VIP is supposed to have bass and acoustic support, proper USB support, instrument modelling, more effects. Why are they the same price if the VIP has so much more features?

Simple answer is that the VIP features are probably worse. And home recording with an USB output straight from the amp will sound horrible. If you want to hear your playing, buy a looper. If you want to record properly, be ready to spend a good few hundred dollars on proper gear.
Quote by guitar/bass95
Think of that in this way: They are both the same price, but for that price the VIP is supposed to have bass and acoustic support, proper USB support, instrument modelling, more effects. Why are they the same price if the VIP has so much more features?

Because it's newer and electronics have improved in the last few years. I don't understand why you're talking down on the VIP when you implied earlier that you haven't even heard it.
Last edited by black_box at Jun 22, 2013,
The VIP is decent, but the regular Vypyr and Vypyr tube are better. They have better models and FX for guitar. If you were going to be playing both then the VIP would be a good choice.

But I would get the Vypyr or a used Vypyr tube 60 they both are better for guitar alone.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
I would say go for a Vypyr 60 tube. BUT, between your two choices, I'd go with the VIP. Why? Well, they're both gonna sound the same, mediocre at best, and you're definitely going to upgrade later in the future so a good TONE right now shouldn't be an issue. I'd focus more on the features. Plus if you ever want to dabble with some bass stuff, the VIP will be right there for you.

I don't know how long you've been playing for or how knowledgeable you are about music gear and whatnot, but between the two, the VIP sounds like the better choice to me.
Current/Main Gear
'06 MIA Fender Stratocaster
'97 Epiphone Les Paul Standard Lim. Ed.
'90s Peavey Classic 30
H&K Tubemeister 18
MXR 404 CAE Crybaby
Ibanez TS9
Ernie Ball Jr. Volume
Digitech Hardwire DL-8
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Christ no! Don't buy that piece of crap! That thing has a really noticeable and horrid hum that even humbuckers can't get ride of, and that on low gain. It only gets worse the.more gain you add. If you want a Vypyr, get an original series version, not this VIP shit.
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Quote by ehbacon
I'm getting the VYPRY 30... thanks for the help

That is a solid practice amp
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2