Hey folks..

Every time i play barre chords, i get some serious pain in one of my muscles in my hand.

I have tried to reposition my hand when doing the barrechords, but i can't get the strings to sound right.

The way i am doing it, is the only way i can actually make them sound right.

I have the lowest gauge strings i could find. They are extra extra light or ultra light or something as well..

I have a link to an image of my hand, so you can see the area in question. http://postimg.org/image/44u5b7857/

After only maybe 10-20 seconds of holding the barre chord, my muscles starts aching real bad..

I don't know what i am supposed to do.... It is really demoralizing

I am not entirely new to barre chords, since i have been practicing them for about 3 months now, and i always thought that the pain would go away when my muscles got used to doing the chords, but they haven't. It's not the same pain as when i was just starting to play the guitar which is about 2½ years ago..

Do i have carpal tunnel or something? should i get a hand strengthener or something??

And i might be doing the chord wrong, but guys, i can't do it any other way.. I have really thin fingers so i don't have a lot of strength in them..

Any advice? im really sad and lost right now ;(
Last edited by MarcFlink at Jun 22, 2013,
Hi, was browsing through the technique threads as I'm in the process of re-starting my guitar playing, so I'm not much use with technique; but I can say that I'm pretty well acquainted with hand/wrist pain.

Have you heard of, or tried a powerball? I had the beginnings of rsi years ago with to much computer work and building bicycle wheels, that powerful seriously worked some magic!

It took about three weeks and the pain was gone, you can tailor the balls effect on you by holding it with only specific digits.

Have you been to see a professional at all?
Last edited by a_flea at Jun 22, 2013,
Okay, first, I can't tell much from that picture, is your palm pressed against the back of your guitar neck? If it is, it shouldn't be, and that's your problem, you're pressing wood into your palm, never ends well.
Quote by CelestialGuitar
Okay, first, I can't tell much from that picture, is your palm pressed against the back of your guitar neck? If it is, it shouldn't be, and that's your problem, you're pressing wood into your palm, never ends well.

Im not doing that... http://postimg.org/image/qrrnxzfkf/

That is how im holding it. Thanks for the reply.
Quote by a_flea
Hi, was browsing through the technique threads as I'm in the process of re-starting my guitar playing, so I'm not much use with technique; but I can say that I'm pretty well acquainted with hand/wrist pain.

Have you heard of, or tried a powerball? I had the beginnings of rsi years ago with to much computer work and building bicycle wheels, that powerful seriously worked some magic!

It took about three weeks and the pain was gone, you can tailor the balls effect on you by holding it with only specific digits.

Have you been to see a professional at all?

No i havent. I don't know of any "professional" that specializes in that kind of hand stuff... and that costs money as well i guess...

Could you tell me more about your experience with this handball thing?? I'd honestly like to hear more about it, especially your own experience with it
And thanks for replying!