Porco Rosso
3 4%
Ponyo
2 3%
Other
3 4%
Voters: 76.
Page 1 of 4
So if you were to show a friend one Miyazaki film to show them how good they are, which one would you choose and why?

Since he has more than 10 good films, I'll try to include the ones that are generally accepted as the best in the poll.

Personally, I have to go with Princess Mononoke. It's a great story that focuses on the issue of traditional religion and culture trying to survive in an ever modernizing world and how both sides are right and wrong at the same time. Add to that the fantastic characters and wonderful world Miyazaki creates. The movie holds your interest all the way through and is packed full of tragedy, humor, and action. The musical score by Joe Hisaishi also adds tons of tension and a sense of adventure to the film.
Check out my band Disturbed
I think you mean "Which Miyazaki film would you show them first?"

It's Howl's Moving Castle.
Quote by CV334

Sir, the contents of my mouth just blew all over my keyboard, desk, and part of my monitor. For the record, it was slightly chewed Keebler cookies and coffee slurry.

The average pitmonkey's response to my jokes.
It's been a long time since I've seen a lot of them, but honestly, I think Spirited Away is probably just the best overall. I actually found Princess Mononoke pretty underwhelming last time I watched it.

Castle In The Sky I might say is tied, but I haven't seen that in about 10 years.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
I have to sadly admit that I've never seen Princess Mononoke.

That said, it depends on the person. Spirited Away is probably the most mainstream choice, but I would still consider The Cat Returns or Totoro - again, depending on the person.

If I had to pick one, then Totoro. It's probably the most innocent Miyazaki film, and the one with the most heart. I'm a sucker for films like that.

EDIT: Scratch The Cat Returns, it's from Ghibli, but not Miyazaki.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 22, 2013,
Quote by darkcheef
None because they're all shit like anything Jap made

Trolling at its best here, folks
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
Quote by CoreysMonster
I have to sadly admit that I've never seen Princess Mononoke.

You know what you must do.
I've only seen totoro and Spirited Away. Spirited Away had ton of weird cool shit while Totoro was more tame and disney-ish, so it depends on the friend I guess.
Quote by StewieSwan

Personally, I have to go with Princess Mononoke. It's a great story that focuses on the issue of traditional religion and culture trying to survive in an ever modernizing world and how both sides are right and wrong at the same time. Add to that the fantastic characters and wonderful world Miyazaki creates. The movie holds your interest all the way through and is packed full of tragedy, humor, and action. The musical score by Joe Hisaishi also adds tons of tension and a sense of adventure to the film.

dude

the piano when

everything starts growing back

is one of my favorite parts in the movie. It's simple but it's played perfectly and omfg

really everything you said about it is spot on. It has a lot of depth.
Quote by blake1221
dude

the piano when

everything starts growing back

is one of my favorite parts in the movie. It's simple but it's played perfectly and omfg

really everything you said about it is spot on. It has a lot of depth.

You mean this part?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkRzOf4YQ3A
Princess Mononoke obvs
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Spirited Away and Howl's Moving Castle were amazing.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
Trolling at its best here, folks

Stating objective truths isn't trolling
My Neighbor Totoro and Spirited Away were great. Haven't watched any of the others though.
There's nothing left here to be saved
Just barreling dogs and barking trains
Another year lost to the blue line
Most Miyazaki/Ghibli films are terrible.

That being said, Spirited Away and Mononoke are decent.
I voted for the former since the latter is too long for its own good.

EDIT: And while darkcheef is an Anime Thread reg, I can tell you for a fact that he is not trolling in the slightest.
Last edited by GuitarGod_92 at Jun 22, 2013,
Quote by GuitarGod_92

I voted for the former since the latter is too long for it's own good.

EDIT: And while darkcheef is an Anime Thread reg, I can tell you for a fact that he is not trolling in the slightest.

Sorry, can't hear you over all the awards they've won.
Quote by GuitarGod_92

I voted for the former since the latter is too long for it's own good.

EDIT: And while darkcheef is an Anime reg, I can tell you for a fact that he is not trolling in the slightest.

Flowers are stupid. Sunshine is terrible. Puppies and kittens are overrated crap. Ice cream tastes of nothing. Kissing is boring. Sex is hardly worthwhile. Laughter is for idiots.
Quote by GuitarGod_92

Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
Quote by willT08
Honestly, who?

^ the guy who made that

^ and that.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Jun 22, 2013,
Quote by CoreysMonster
Flowers are stupid. Sunshine is terrible. Puppies and kittens are overrated crap. Ice cream tastes of nothing. Kissing is boring. Sex is hardly worthwhile. Laughter is for idiots.

All true except for the last one and sometimes the second.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by StewieSwan

Joe Hisaishi is one of the main reasons I got into film scoring

Also, I can't watch that performance without crying
Quote by CoreysMonster
I dare you to look this puppy in the eye and tell him he's overrated.

Super overrated. Not cute at all.

There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
I love nearly all Miyazaki films, though my favourite is Nausicaä. I love the Omega Man style post-apocalypse, the whole visual style is amazing, loved the storyline. Plus Miyazaki wrote the source material himself, Mangaka and Director; Amazing.
Vinland, Vinland Über Alles

"Why do they still call me a warlord? And mad? All I want to do is create the perfect genetic soldier!"
Who's this Miyazaki guy?
[img]http://i.imgur.com/LYZyCdp.gif[/img]

Quote by CrossBack7
Momie's like not even a real person, just an asian, lesbian spirit.
Quote by theogonia777
Super overrated. Not cute at all.

He looks like he's poisonous and wants to rape my corpse.

Also, possibly psychic and capable of making your brain explode.
Quote by TheReverend724
Joe Hisaishi is one of the main reasons I got into film scoring

Also, I can't watch that performance without crying

Dude, I teared up.
Spirited Away, but I've never seen Princess M

Downloading now!
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
Page 1 of 4