Hello!
Tomorrow I will be listening a 1980 USA Dean Z.

It seems like it is in a good shape. The owner claims that the frets are in very good condition and the guitar is all original except for the pickups.

Do older Deans hold their value well? Are they good guitars overall? Anything specific I should be looking for in this guitar?
Most importantly, how do I check the S/N on these guitars?

Thanks in advance!
Dean guitars made while Dean Z was in charge tend to be very good indeed. The 1980 reissues are also very good.

Are you talking original or reissue?
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
According to my 2012 Vintage Guitar Price Guide...

1977 - 1983 US Common finish $1000 - $1300
1977 - 1983 US Less common finish $1500 - $1800

Prices are for a guitar in excellent condition.

Edit: BTW, this is for the Dean Standard.
Last edited by KG6_Steven at Jun 22, 2013,
Good!
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Just for you to know, I played it and decided not to buy it. The sound was nice but the bridge was in an uncomfortable position (for me) and the nut was really worn.
Ah, well- life is too short to burden oneself with an uncomfortable guitar, no matter how good the deal.

Actually the truss rod cover isn't original either but that's just nitpicking. They're super nice guitars though, it's too bad that you didn't bond with it.

Here's mine.

Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.