Page 5 of 24
Quote by Philip_pepper
What I don't like about the UK is that there is little out there in which to participate in socially.

Pubs. Pubs. And clubs.

There's little else to do. Even if you have a hobby that you enjoy, good luck with that, because you'll be very lonely as everyone else will be going to the pub/club to get drunk.

Sounds like you've made friends with the wrong people, quite honestly.
Quote by Emperor's Child
There are loads of other things you can do:
- BBQ
- Day trip to a nearby city/town
- Bowling
- Eat out
- Games round someone's house
- Friendly sports
- Beach (if you're near the coast)

to be fair you can do all of this with alcohol too
cat
Quote by Shabalaba
I don't understand how you could enjoy eating out with your friends, but going to a bar/ pub with your mates for a drink is different story entirely.

Atmosphere is different.

Going out for a bite leads to either intelligent and interesting conversation or complete piss taking of one another. All-in-all a good time.

Going to a bar or pug tends to mean shit atmosphere as they play music too loud, you cannot really talk about anything, it tends to be somewhat dirty, and you also have to deal with intoxicated mongoloids.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by guitarxo
to be fair you can do all of this with alcohol too

Which is the worst thing about it. After about 2 hours everyone is so drunk they don't know whats going on, its ruins everything.

Quote by TunerAddict
Atmosphere is different.

Going out for a bite leads to either intelligent and interesting conversation or complete piss taking of one another. All-in-all a good time.

Going to a bar or pug tends to mean shit atmosphere as they play music too loud, you cannot really talk about anything, it tends to be somewhat dirty, and you also have to deal with intoxicated mongoloids.

I never thought I'd say this, but I agree with you.
Quote by TunerAddict
Atmosphere is different.

No. You just don't go to any decent bars or pubs because you are too busy walking around with your head shoved firmly up your ass to pick one out. What you just described from "going out for a bite" is exactly what happens when I go out for a few pints.
Quote by Nero Galon
Which is the worst thing about it. After about 2 hours everyone is so drunk they don't know whats going on, its ruins everything.

I agree with you for stuff like the bowling and sports etc but being drunk at a beach >>>>>>>>>> sobriety

also you don't like get completely plastered or something, just drunk enough to have more fun
cat
Last edited by guitarxo at Jun 23, 2013,
beaches are made for stoned people much more than drunk people. in fact almost anything you could do drunk would be better high.
Quote by Thrashtastic15
No. You just don't go to any decent bars or pubs because you are too busy walking around with your head shoved firmly up your ass to pick one out. What you just described from "going out for a bite" is exactly what happens when I go out for a few pints.

I don't go to any bars or pubs because they blow and alcohol is for plebeian spastics like yourself.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers

If women can be annoyed there arent any women incongress I should be allowed to be pissed off there are no members of pink floyd or the beatles in congress.
Quote by TunerAddict
I don't go to any bars or pubs because they blow and alcohol is for plebeian spastics like yourself.

You don't go to any bars and pubs yet you seem to consider yourself an expert in the atmosphere present in them. So basically you're just full of shit? Okay. Talk about spastics, jesus.
Quote by guitarxo

also you don't like get completely plastered or something, just drunk enough to have more fun

The culture that I live in don't stop at that. When there is drink, the only thing people intend to do is drink till they drop sadly. You must be lucky.
Quote by Emperor's Child
There are loads of other things you can do:
- BBQ (Yup, when the weather is good enough and you're not working)
- Day trip to a nearby city/town (Yup, UK is small enough for that)
- Bowling (I've not seen a bowling place now that you mention it)
- Eat out (UK restaurants shite)
- Games round someone's house (Fair enough)
- Friendly sports (Yup, 5 a sides is popular, followed by booze)
- Beach (if you're near the coast) (Depends where. A beach in the south of England will likely be much nicer than, say, Aberdeen)

My 2 cents.

Quote by Nero Galon
The culture that I live in don't stop at that. When there is drink, the only thing people intend to do is drink till they drop sadly. You must be lucky.

This.

Oh god, this.

I've seen 40 something year olds getting to this stage.

I know one lady in particular who saves money by not heating her house in the winter just so she can have enough money to get smashed once a month.

Quote by TunerAddict
Atmosphere is different.

This too.

Quote by CoreysMonster
An old friend of mine recently went on his "Tippelei". That's a very old tradition, where an apprentice leaves his hometown and is not allowed to enter it for two years. He has to work his way through the world and earn a living on his own.

He's the first blacksmith apprentice to do so from our hometown in decades, and it took massive balls for him to basically drop everything he owns and try to live off of his own wits for two years. AFAIK he's currently working in a small town near Hamburg.

Is it called Wedel by any chance?
Last edited by Philip_pepper at Jun 23, 2013,
Quote by Nero Galon

nah people here still do that. you just spread it out so you have time to do other stuff before you pass out
cat
The intellectual culture at university is the culture worth experiencing. It's hard to get that outside of a center of learning. If you think the college atmosphere is frat parties and getting wasted, you're wasting your time.
I was about to tell you where the AMF Bowling off St Vincent Street was (behind the McDonalds across from PC World), but it turns out they've bulldozed it into a car park, shows how many years it's been since I've been there.
I think they moved to The Quay (that place with the ODEON).
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at Jun 23, 2013,
Quote by guitarxo
I agree with you for stuff like the bowling and sports etc but being drunk at a beach >>>>>>>>>> sobriety

Precisely. People are going straight from the idea of drinking to being smashed, sick and generally useless. Which just isn't the case . Having a few drinks with friends at a BBQ/ the beach only makes the experience more enjoyable.

Philip mate, i don't know what your point is any more. Are you genuinely trying to say that if you go out drinking 2 times a week you become an alcoholic?

Thrashtastic is on top form btw. Definitely deserves this gif

Manchester United
I've been to the beach with uni mates a number of times and not had alcohol. As long as there are Doritos & Dip, I'm pretty happy.
Quote by Shabalaba

Philip mate, i don't know what your point is any more. Are you genuinely trying to say that if you go out drinking 2 times a week you become an alcoholic?

No, just that it's easier here to get into a cycle that is difficult to get out of.
One of the things about Portsmouth that I didn't like was the drinking culture. There was nothing else to do apart from get smashed and avoid getting stabbed by locals. This is why I want to either go to university in a place like Canterbury, where I know lots of people and things to do, or London where there are always gigs and stuff, as well as good bars.

I think people in this thread are taking their own experiences of university nightlife as gospel truth, without considering that other people's experiences might differ greatly.
"If God exists, there's no way he is French" - Andrea Pirlo

S A D B O Y S
Quote by JustRooster
Chug! Chug! Chug!

University of Wisconsin.

Same, but without excessive chugging.
I'm taking summer classes at Mizzou right now and haven't had time to do anything else lately. I've mostly been eating out for lunch everyday, getting fat, and spending hours doing homework in the library. I come home at like 9 o'clock every night.

Mostly right now I'm trying to pass an English and a Math class in order qualify for the fall.
I think you guys are hanging out with the wrong friends. More often than not I'll end up talking about science for hours when I'm hammered.

Then again I have two separate groups of friends, high school friends who I drink with, and Uni friends who I usually go for food with.
Quote by neidnarb11890
i experimented with a french press for a little while, but i have gone back to basic drip coffee makers, mostly b/c it's easier to clean up when you're done.

F press is the way to go though. Honestly you don't even need to scrub it much.

Quote by TunerAddict
SUNY Binghamton alumni, btw

thinking of going back for another degree

d00d I know it is TOO cheap.

I want to be a student forever. Like I want to be that kid from Rushmore only made creepy by age.

Except I don't want to put myself in debt. Except I also don't want any of the work I qualify for; I don't wanna make tea for the BBC and I don't wanna be I don't really wanna be a cooooooop.

So I am clueless. My lease ends in August and I sure as shit don't want to sign another one of those so I am trying to dip. I just don't know to where or what and my motorcycle broke so I can't even ride off into the sunset. ;__;
Quote by RealUnrealRob
The intellectual culture at university is the culture worth experiencing. It's hard to get that outside of a center of learning. If you think the college atmosphere is frat parties and getting wasted, you're wasting your time.

I attend (the best) University in Australia and 90% (probably more) of students live at home, commuting to and from Uni every day. As you may be able to imagine, there isn't much of a culture or a community feel to my Uni. Granted, I've only just finished my first semester but I'm starting to feel like I'm seriously missing out on something; I want to live, breath, eat and shit academia with other students. Exchange is a possibility, full time study abroad would be even better, but financially the more I think about it the less possible it becomes. What's to be done?
New To Town With A Made Up Name

In The Angel's City

Chasing Fortune And Fame
09/03/2012
Quote by Alter-Bridge
I attend (the best) University in Australia and 90% (probably more) of students live at home, commuting to and from Uni every day. As you may be able to imagine, there isn't much of a culture or a community feel to my Uni. Granted, I've only just finished my first semester but I'm starting to feel like I'm seriously missing out on something; I want to live, breath, eat and shit academia with other students. Exchange is a possibility, full time study abroad would be even better, but financially the more I think about it the less possible it becomes. What's to be done?

My school is exactly the same, being on top of a mountain in the middle of the city and all. I just found a main group to stick with since my first week and it's grown to be considerably large since then.
Quote by Alter-Bridge

This is what mine is like. I don't care too much but it doesn't really feel like a college at all.
___

Quote by The_Blode
she was saying things like... do you want to netflix and chill but just the chill part...too bad she'll never know that I only like the Netflix part...
I was a journalism major but I switched to English. I had a taste of journalism and lets just say it was a major disappointment. This is totally unrealistic but I had imagined myself being a journalist in the same mold as a guy like Hunter S. Thompson. No idea why. Just some unreasonable expectations from being a teenager and graduating high school not knowing what to do with my life.

English is much more closer to what I enjoy, in terms of writing.
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Quote by Colgate Total
I was a journalism major but I switched to English. I had a taste of journalism and lets just say it was a major disappointment. This is totally unrealistic but I had imagined myself being a journalist in the same mold as a guy like Hunter S. Thompson. No idea why. Just some unreasonable expectations from being a teenager and graduating high school not knowing what to do with my life.

English is much more closer to what I enjoy, in terms of writing.

Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Anyone here attend any of the following universities?

MIT
University of Washington - St. Louis
University of Michigan
University of Cincinnati

They're my four choices for graduate school, and I just want to get a better idea of what they're like, as I've only been to UC.
Quote by beadhangingOne
From a graduate: Enjoy it while it lasts, it is nothing more than a 3-4 year delay on reality, which if you are unprepared for it, will crush you.

Can you expand on this? What, exactly, will crush me?
Quote by Philip_pepper
Can you expand on this? What, exactly, will crush me?

The not finding a job and living space I assume.

I haven't realised untill now that I will be set for the coming 5 years. Real life decisions averted.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jun 24, 2013,
Quote by Neo Evil11
The not finding a job and living space I assume.

I haven't realised untill now that I will be set for the coming 5 years. Real life decisions averted.

Well, the job generally depends on your degree, I suppose.

Living space is a bigger problem. I dunno about other countries, but buying a house is a pain over here, what with the 2008 crash and all that. Good luck getting a mortgage without sucking a lot of D.
Quote by Philip_pepper
Well, the job generally depends on your degree, I suppose.

Living space is a bigger problem. I dunno about other countries, but buying a house is a pain over here, what with the 2008 crash and all that. Good luck getting a mortgage without sucking a lot of D.

lol. I have to stay for at least 2 more years in a studentroom . But after that I think I can afford a bigger living space with a 30k salary.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Last edited by Neo Evil11 at Jun 24, 2013,
Quote by Neo Evil11
lol. I have to stay for at least 2 more years in a studentroom . But after that I think I can afford a bigger living space with a 30k salary.

Are you gonna rent or buy a house though?

See, in the Netherlands, do people rent as much as in Germany?
Quote by Philip_pepper
Are you gonna rent or buy a house though?

See, in the Netherlands, do people rent as much as in Germany?

I will rent as I will move to another country after my PhD, don't want a long term commitment. Probably rent something with one of my fellow students.

People don't rent much here, most people buy. Now the entire housemarket is on its ass. Not because the banks don't give loans, but because the house prices were much too high during the bubble and they still haven't reached the natural price.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ
Quote by Neo Evil11
I will rent as I will move to another country after my PhD, don't want a long term commitment. Probably rent something with one of my fellow students.

People don't rent much here, most people buy. Now the entire housemarket is on its ass. Not because the banks don't give loans, but because the house prices were much too high during the bubble and they still haven't reached the natural price.

Sounds a bit like the UK. It's weird, house prices have already gone down 15% since the crisis, but now the government is giving out more loans, so they seem to wanna push the house prices up, but I don't see it happening.

House prices are staying stable and eroding with inflation.

Where are you gonna move to after your PhD?
Quote by Philip_pepper
House prices are staying stable and eroding with inflation.

Average of house prices near the canals in Amsterdam have been stable for 4 centuries. What you see is that during good times they go up a lot and during bad times they go down a lot. But their "natural" price hasn't risen when you correct for inflation. You'd expect banks and people to realise this tendency and not invest in large morgages during a boom, as the price has always gone down after it.

Quote by Philip_pepper
Where are you gonna move to after your PhD?

Don't know. Trying to get a position in England or a good University in the USA I guess.
Quote by Carmel

ಠ_ಠ