I play mostly megadeth, slayer, metallica and some classic rock like led zeppelin and ac/dc.
Budget $1200 - $ 2500
In USA
Have been looking at Jackson's, gibsons and some prs's.
Is prs worth the extra money? Are Jackson's poplar/alder bodies suitable for thrash metal? Can les Paul's handle thrash metal? What are some other brands I should check out?
Currently playing through a blackstar ht stage 60.
Thanks
I think it really depends on what amp you play than what guitar when it comes to thrash music. Quintessential bands have used strats, super strats, explorers, flying v's, les pauls, jacksons, ibanez's, dean's. I would think that as long as you have a solid body, decent pickups, and an amp with enough gain and tone you can play any guitar. I can't think of anyone using a semi hollow for thrash music.
Last edited by Sputnik1 at Jun 22, 2013,
Quote by darkwolf291
He needs to be playing through a JCM800

I've already got my amp, I need a new guitar now
Quote by ReventionZ
I play mostly megadeth, slayer, metallica and some classic rock like led zeppelin and ac/dc.
Budget $1200 - $ 2500
In USA
Have been looking at Jackson's, gibsons and some prs's.
Is prs worth the extra money? Are Jackson's poplar/alder bodies suitable for thrash metal? Can les Paul's handle thrash metal? What are some other brands I should check out?
Currently playing through a blackstar ht stage 60.
Thanks

PRS are great they have the older CE22/24 which are bolt-thru necks but are identical to the custom 22/24 other than that. They start at $900ish typically.

The Jackson Soloist its a great guitar for thrash.

Check out some Charvel's They are good for thrash also.

Look here www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Jackson and Charvel are actually the same company, and were started by Grover Jackson.
The first Jackson was the Concorde, which was made for Randy Rhoads.
He put his name on it, because he didn't think it was the right thing to put Charvel on.

Go play a bunch of guitars and see what you like.
Get an EVH 5150 III. That amp makes a sewing machine sound metal. You could even buy a used Gibson V with the change.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I also have to do that. Cottaging this weekend
Last edited by T00DEEPBLUE at Jun 23, 2013,
Jackson and Charvel guitars pretty much dominated the Thrash metal genre back in the day, and still do to an extent. For the money, they are hard to beat. Really the only question is do you like the necks on them? Some people find the necks on those too wide and don't like the compound radius. Try 'em out and see if you like it.

For the money you are willing to spend, I would go straight for the USA series of guitars, or one of the Charvel Custom Shop models.

Other good brands to look for would be ESP and Kramer, but neither of those are made in the US (Japan and Indonesia I believe). They are killer guitars none the less.
Quote by strat0blaster
This is terrible advice. Even worse than the useless dry, sarcastic comment I made.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm too old for the Jim Morrison look now. When I was gigging I had a fine arse.
Jackson SL-2H. Beautiful guitar. Very pricey, but USA Jacksons are dreams.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SL2HMBK

If you're willing to go Japanese, look at the ESP M-II as well. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EMIISTDMBLK?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CNLbp7-y-bcCFcU5QgodO24AhQ
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Anything that feels good to play will suffice as long as the amp/pickups suit the sound. Just go try some out.

I like PRS, but it's not like you need one.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
I like to play thrash on my 335 copy

It really comes down to personal preference, go play a bunch and see what you like best.

I want an Ibanez S-series.
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
For some reason I just can't fathom people thrashing on a PRS. They've always been daddy-rock guitars to me, you know, polish after every use.

Thrash like a sir.
I can't typically see people chugging around in drop B on a Fender either, but Jim Root pulls it off.

Thrash does have that certain "look" to it, but there's no rulebook here.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
To be fair, Fender bastardized both his Tele and Strat to pull off that metal look.

Also, it is a rule. If caught, Kerry King will personally come and kill you with his beardfist.
Quote by Offworld92
Jackson SL-2H. Beautiful guitar. Very pricey, but USA Jacksons are dreams.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SL2HMBK

If you're willing to go Japanese, look at the ESP M-II as well. http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/EMIISTDMBLK?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_campaign=none&device=c&network=g&matchtype=&gclid=CNLbp7-y-bcCFcU5QgodO24AhQ

I haven't gotten to try a soloist yet, as I will have to wait, the closest jackson dealer is 90 minute away. I have tried other "superstrats" and though they felt kind of small. Do you think this would be the same case? And I'm not big on their woods or their nuts they use, is this something that I should still consider cause I'm not a big poplar or basswood guy.
Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Get an EVH 5150 III. That amp makes a sewing machine sound metal. You could even buy a used Gibson V with the change.

Depends on the style of thrash he's after.
Modern thrash like Evile, then yes. 6505.

Old School, and Old school styled like Kill em All, Ride the lightning metallica, Kreator, Slayer, and modern acts like Gama Bomb are Marshalls JCM800s, and, in Gama Bomb's case, a JCM2000 DSL
the TS is using a Blackstar HT-60, so pretty close to a JCM2000 era type marshall in some ways i'd guess.
Last edited by gregs1020 at Jun 24, 2013,
Quote by darkwolf291
Jacksons are great for thrash

x2000.

Jackson FTW for metal. Soloists are great. I have a MIJ one and a KV-2 for neck thru models. Nothin wrong with bolt on.

Avoid the MIC basswood ones. Basswood is like balsawood.... Not dense. Admittedly I haven't had a chance to play one an see how it sustains and feels.

My vote is for any MIA model. RR, KV, KE and soloists are all great. I love the frets and necks.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
jackson and charvel are probably worth a look.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
With that kind of budget you could pick up an original thrash machine, like an '81 Flying V or something. Or it you want one of the arguably most well-built axes conceived, you could land a nice Chicago-era American Dean for that.

You have countless options, both modern and vintage. It's impossible to tell you what would be best, so get out and try gear. With that budget dropping a couple hundred in gas to try stuff out isn't a big deal to find out what works best for you.
Endorsed by Dean Guitars 07-10
2003 Gibson Flying V w/ Moon Inlay
2006 Fender All-American Partscaster
SVK ELP-C500 Custom

1964 Fender Vibro Champ
1989 Peavey VTM60

[thread="1166208"]Gibsons Historic Designs[/thread]
Definitely try before you buy. Neck profile and frets are important.

Nothing like dropping 2K and getting a wrist cramp or a guitar that plays like shit to you.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
Quote by R45VT
Avoid the MIC basswood ones. Basswood is like balsawood.... Not dense. Admittedly I haven't had a chance to play one an see how it sustains and feels.

The Musicman JP6 is made of Basswood, plenty of tone there. It's a different kind of Basswood than normally used in cheaper guitars though.

That's my vote, Music Man Petrucci of some sort. Fast Ibanez wizard type neck, killer pickups, fantastic term that always stays in tune. Jacksons and charvels are excellent for thrash of course, but for that kind of money, you could get an EBMM that's very versatile as well.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Last edited by Reincaster at Jun 23, 2013,
Jacksons or Schecters are killer for metal. Certain Ibanez models as well
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com