Hello, I just bought a Maxon OD808 pedal since I heard how much they can improve your sound. I cant seem to get these pedals to place nice and maybe even the ISP with the amp. And FYI all pedals are powered by the branching 1 spot wall unit. No batteries. I also have brand new EMG 81/85's in my guitar. And Mesa 4X12 cab with V30's.

So I have an ISP decimator G string and the normal ISP decimator. I bought the G string first since I heard that it was better and worked in the FX loop. I NEVER got that thing to work right with the 6505+. Could not figure out what the heck to do with it. I researched and googled and found lot's of diagrams but never found anything that worked right. So out of frustration I bought a used normal decimator from a guy off CL for a pretty good deal. And PRESTO... it worked AWESEOME. No more issues. But why couldn't I get the G string to work in the FX loop?

But I wanted that brighter/tighter sound that you could get from the OD pedal. But if I connect the OD pedal before or after the ISP (Both in front of the amp) I either get bad hum or bad feedback. This goes for whether or not the OD and ISP (normal ISP) are in front or behind each other.

If I am just talking about using JUST the normal ISP pedal in front of the amp I get no feedback or hum. But I still have that hiss that I would like to get rid of. So I need it to work in the loop. I could utilize both ISP's if I could figure out why the G string wont work in the loop. But I also need a solution for why I get either hum or feedback with the ISP and OD808.

When the OD was plugged in I also had the pre's on the 6505+ at about noon.
Last edited by osakamitsu at Jun 23, 2013,
Guitar -> OD808 -> Guitar In

Guitar Out -> 6505+ Input

6505+ Send -> Dec In

Dec Out -> 6505+ Return

OD808: Overdrive ~9 o'clock, Balance ~3 o'clock, Tone ~12 o'clock.
Then adjust from there.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 23, 2013,
Thanks a lot! I'll give this a try asap. I think I need to go buy some new cables tomorrow first though...
Also I want to clarify... when you talk about the decimator connection are you saying that I JUST connect the FX loop to it? Pretty much the only diagrams I have seen show show the guitar running through it AND to the FX loop. I was thinking I tried it both ways... but I will again...
Plug everything in exactly as I typed it and it should work. If it doesn't, then there's a problem somewhere in your chain, maybe something wrong with a pedal, or something wrong with the amp's FX loop.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Ok thanks. It crossed my mind that something may be wrong with the FX loop. I'm going to buy new cables later today so hopefully I can figure it out. The cables I have now are not the best.

Edit

I tried the G string in the FX loop with just the decimator and no OD and connected it like you showed. Plugged the guitar into the normal 6505+ input... the g string connected though the FX loop just like you described and it acts like its not even plugged in. Are you sure I don't have to run the guitar though the G string as well?
Last edited by osakamitsu at Jun 23, 2013,
Quote by osakamitsu
Ok thanks. It crossed my mind that something may be wrong with the FX loop. I'm going to buy new cables later today so hopefully I can figure it out. The cables I have now are not the best.

Edit

I tried the G string in the FX loop with just the decimator and no OD and connected it like you showed. Plugged the guitar into the normal 6505+ input... the g string connected though the FX loop just like you described and it acts like its not even plugged in. Are you sure I don't have to run the guitar though the G string as well?

Nope, you typically have a noise supressor/gate in the effects loop only, if you have an fx loop which is serial, of course. For whatever reason, if you have a parallel fx loops (meaning you have two signals feeding into the power amp from the pre-amp, one wet, and one dry (and you almost never can get 100% wet)), you're pretty much screwed in that aspect, as it won't reduce any noise. So, you'd be forced to use it in front of the amp to quiet the guitar/pedals up front.

However, ah believe your amp is a normal series fx loop, and thus you should just place your Decimator in the loop for it to be most effective against quieting your noise problems. If it's not working however, you may have a problem with your fx loop.

Ah'm not too well versed with the 6505+s, but does it have a tube buffered fx loop? if so you may want to replace that tube, if this problem continues, of course.

good luck man, hopefully the problem will work itself out.
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build
Just put the normal decimator in the loop, adjust the knob, and turn it on. Works fine for me.

Jackson RR3 Rhoads and DK2M Dinky
Peavey 6505+ w/ Avatar 212 cab
Ibanez TS9, ISP Decimator, MXR 10 Band EQ
-Digitech RP1000
If you still wanna try and use the ISP G- string, your chain should look like

guitar > ISP Guitar-in
ISP Guitar out > Maxon In
Maxon out > Input of 6505
Effect Send > ISP Dec in
ISP Dec out > Effect return

The G-string was a pain to set up when I first got it, but now it's a charm.

The other way is having the guitar into the OD into the ISP guitar in into the amp and the rest the same from there.
Ibanez
Universe UV777 Signed by Steve Vai
Prestige RG2027X with Bare Knuckle Aftermaths
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Quote by osakamitsu

Edit

I don't know. I'm not familiar with the Decimators really, it could be set up that way somehow.

But my post wasn't an either-or suggestion. I meant, connect everything, and it should work. If you're not even going to use the G String how it was intended then of course you should just use the regular decimator in the loop.

Unless I'm misunderstanding something.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by thebestjoe
If you still wanna try and use the ISP G- string, your chain should look like

guitar > ISP Guitar-in
ISP Guitar out > Maxon In
Maxon out > Input of 6505
Effect Send > ISP Dec in
ISP Dec out > Effect return

The G-string was a pain to set up when I first got it, but now it's a charm.

The other way is having the guitar into the OD into the ISP guitar in into the amp and the rest the same from there.

Yeah, something MUST be wrong... I tried it just like you and it acts like the G string isn't even there. All brand new monster cables and all powered by AC adapters.

Quote by Tremolo Bum
Just put the normal decimator in the loop, adjust the knob, and turn it on. Works fine for me.

Nope same effect as the G string. Acts like nothing is plugged in and gives me the exact same hum.

Guess this means something is from with the FX loop? The normal decimator works just fine in front of the amp.
Last edited by osakamitsu at Jun 24, 2013,
I'm not familiar with the 6505 series, do they have level controls for the effects loop? You said that neither ISP will work when in the loop, so maybe the levels are turned down on that? How high do you have the threshold on the Decimators (Usually, the sweet spot is around -25)? If it's a tube driven loop, check and see if the tube is bad by putting it on the clean channel, getting some volumes, and lightly tapping that tube with a chop stick or pencil. If you get a chime like noise, then it's a bad tube (I know this works for pre and power amp sections, not sure if it would for a loop but can't hurt to try).

Do you have a friend with an amp with an effect loop that you can use your pedals on? If you can't, see if a store would let you. In that way, it will be easier to assess if it is the amp or pedals that aren't working right.

Also try using individual power supplies or batteries, maybe the one-spot is causing something to act funky.
Ibanez
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E
Last edited by thebestjoe at Jun 24, 2013,
Both pedals are plugged into the wall... and no there are no level knob or an on or off switch for the FX loop like on a mesa roadster. It just has the inputs for the FX send and return.
You might have 60 cycle hum because of shoddy wiring in the building. Try the amp in another room, or another location entirely.

Running your pedals on batteries may help if you have a mains problem.
Alright guys. I didn't want to admit it... you can laugh at me... I figured out why it wasn't working...

>.>

... I did't have the FX loop enabled on the foot switch itself.... UGH!! hahahahhaa

SOUNDS AWESOME NOW with the G string...

Anyway thanks for the help everyone. Hopefully I am not hopeless.
Last edited by osakamitsu at Jun 25, 2013,
Yeah, that would probably help.

Glad you got it working.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
It always helps to have those things turned on
Quote by mcraddict81592
If you need to kill a man with a 9v adapter? I say strangulate. Or swing the heavy end around and aim for the temple, all depends on your style.

FrankenBee Build

I think it's equally as funny that no one thought of that
Ibanez
RG7621 swirled
Prestige RG1420
AEL207E