Alright So I've been stuck with this old RG model Ibanez and a 30 watt Vox amp for about 4 years. I think it's time for an upgrade. I listen to a lot of metal and Djent and am starting to love that nasty yet tight sound that all these bands like periphery, Intervals, Aviations, and Polyphia have. I want to know the cheapest way to go to get this kind of sound, I am aware that most of these bands use Axe FX to simulate their amps. But If I were to just buy a combo amp and a new guitar, what would be the best route?

Thanks in advance. :p
Where in the world are you located? Are you willing to go used? What is your budget?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
As of now I live in Houston. Yes I would be willing to go used.. Um budget... I'll go ahead and throw 1000 out there as a rough estimate but I'm willing to do 1500 if its really worth it. I want a combo amp because Im going to be going to San Marcos for college in the fall and I don't want to have to lug a cab up there haha. But if it really would make a world of difference, I'll be open minded to a halfstack. Hell, I already have a used Marshall cab, if you can suggest a cheap head that would be sick.
Here's a Vetta II combo w/ footswitch for $450. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-LINE-6-VETTA-II-2X12-COMBO-W-FBV2-FTSW-108647590-i3013518.gc

Meshuggah used them for a while IIRC. The solid state modeling will let you easily attain the unnaturally tight (djent) sound you're looking for.

Might want to put some casters on that beast though.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Cool now for a guitar... I like Ibanez a lot. I think I'm going to go ahead and get a 7.. Would actives or passives be better?
I think either medium-ish output passives, or EMGs are ideal. Both will give you a lot of clarity.

I've looked into it a little bit in the past, I've read that a DiMarzio D Activator Neck in the bridge position is really good for a djent sound. Not so sure about the neck position, maybe an Air Norton, or a PAF 7.

The Crunch Lab / Liquifire is also a classic combo, can't go very wrong there unless you just don't like the CL. I'm not a fan of it, though most are.

On the EMG side, you could check out an 81-7 and maybe a 60-7X.

Keep in mind that depending on what guitar you get, you'll be fairly locked into passives or actives, depending on what it's routed for.

I know off the top of my head this is a really good model, routed for passives (Ibanez RG7621). http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Ibanez-RG7621-/271227772861?pt=Guitar&hash=item3f266f5fbd

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 23, 2013,
5150III 50 watt! A bunch of the sound on the new Periphery album were done with the Axe Fx into the loop of the 5150III and mic'd up. Misha also has a bunch of videos where he's just playing with the 5150 III. Awesome amp.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
Dude, everything at TSU is uphill.
Even when you're going downhill it's uphill. I feel you.

I second Offworld's Vetta suggestion. They're reliable in my experience (a buddy of mine had one for several years), sound alright as well. You might consider the Axe FX route as well with that budget. Plus they're portable.
Quote by JacobCaine
Would you recommend a line 6 combo or halfstack

Personally, I would go for a quarter or half stack, no question about it. I have a deep seated loathing for 2x12 combos. I only recommended the Vetta 212 because you mentioned wanting a combo.

There are actually Vetta 212 and 412 cabs, that are really good cabs. They come with V30s, and are usually pretty cheap, about $350. Just search "vetta" on Guitar Center and they'll come up.

EDIT: This is insanely cheap, a Vetta I 412. http://www.guitarcenter.com/In-Store-Used-USED-LINE-6-VETTA-GUITAR-CAB-107966003-i2627021.gc

I don't know what speakers are in the Vetta I cabs though, I only know/care about the Vetta II stuff.

My band:
Fractured Instinct

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Jun 24, 2013,
Vetta cabs are C12-P90's