Hey, first time poster here So I've been thinking about making my own guitar (can't decide between an Explorer or Flying V :/) and was wondering something. When making the neck, does it have to have a specific scale length, or does it not matter if I make the scale length either 24.75" or 25.5"? One other thing, has anyone ever used guitarbuildingtemplates.com and been happy with it?

Thanks
If you go down a little from Electric Guitar, you'll see Gear Building & Customizing. They can probably help you more. The central hub has a lot of useful information.

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by awesomebro88
Hey, first time poster here So I've been thinking about making my own guitar (can't decide between an Explorer or Flying V :/) and was wondering something. When making the neck, does it have to have a specific scale length, or does it not matter if I make the scale length either 24.75" or 25.5"? One other thing, has anyone ever used guitarbuildingtemplates.com and been happy with it?

Thanks
You make the scale length to your personal preference. If you're going to tune down a lot, the longer scale will help maintain string tension. That's why you always see the long scale on big body acoustic guitars. The extra tension helps get the sound board a jumpin'.

If you want easiest play at standard tunings, then 24.75", and some nice big jumbo frets is the way to go.

I've never built a guitar, but I can tell you this, I most certainly wouldn't even attempt it without a fret ruler.

You can also get a multitude of specialized tools at "stewmac.com". Some you need, some would be superfluous, but they all share one thing in common, they're expensive as hell.

BTW, it made little strategic sense to post this topic in the "electric guitar forum".

You'd probably get the most and most helpful advice here: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=53

Since there's only one response, you can hope a moderator will move it for you, or perhaps close this yourself, and start over down there.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 23, 2013,