sashki
6,831 IQ
Let's say I have a chord progression that goes

C - E - Am - F

In the key of C, you would expect the E chord to be E minor, but here it's E major. Is there a name for this sort of thing?
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
It called borrowing a chord, usually from the parallel scale. Although, it sounds like that progression is a III - V - i - IV (with the IV chord borrowed from the parallel major).

Chord borrowing is also known as mode mixture, but the word "mode" in this sense just means "major" or "minor."
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
AlanHB
Godin's Resident Groupie
1,703 IQ
It's more likely to be in the key of Am. Hope that is enough info to figure the rest out.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
2,916 IQ
You could call the E a V/vi (five of six) meaning you're tonicizing the vi chord. Which basically means you're acting like the vi is the key you're in for a moment.

So it'd be:

I V/vi vi IV

You could also say the whole thing is Am. Depends on what you hear it as I guess.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Last edited by ibanezguitars44 at Jun 23, 2013,
ibanezguitars44
Tab Contributor
2,916 IQ
Quote by rockingamer2
It called borrowing a chord, usually from the parallel scale. Although, it sounds like that progression is a III - V - i - IV (with the IV chord borrowed from the parallel major).

Chord borrowing is also known as mode mixture, but the word "mode" in this sense just means "major" or "minor."

If you're calling the Am the i chord, the F would be a VI, not a IV, and it wouldn't be borrowed. The VI of Am is F.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Cmd. Cool
King of the Impossible
487 IQ
I would say this is in Am.
A harmonic minor, which can be used interchangeably with the natural minor, would mean that the V chords would be an Emajor, not Eminor. This is an idea heard often in classical music, and Spanish music. For example:

Am G F E

is known as the Andalusian cadence.
MaggaraMarine
Slapping the bass.
3,478 IQ
In C major it would be I-V/vi-vi-IV. And it's called a secondary dominant.

You can borrow chords from other keys. Actually you can use whatever chords in C major if it just resolves to C major. In classical music secondary dominants are very usual. In pop music you usually see borrowed chords like bVII, bVI, bIII, iv and v in a major key. Though secondary dominants in pop aren't that rare either.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
cdgraves
44 IQ
It's in C with a secondary dominant leading to the vi. Very standard thing, you see it a lot in older tunes like "All of Me" and "Sunny Side of the Street". Actually those are the exact same first four chords as "sunny Side".
rockingamer2
Larmarky Remark
408 IQ
Quote by ibanezguitars44
If you're calling the Am the i chord, the F would be a VI, not a IV, and it wouldn't be borrowed. The VI of Am is F.

Shit, brain fart. Thanks for the catch.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK