Poll Options
View poll results: ?
Maude's death killed the Simpsons
8 10%
It was a funny episode, you jackass
20 26%
I have no strong feelings one way or the other
42 54%
The simpsons are still going strong (hint: I'm a moron)
8 10%
Voters: 78.
Page 1 of 4
So I've recently been watching a lot of the Simpsons on the side, while working or jerking off or whatever it is kids do these days.

But I noticed a very definite rift in the 10th season, when Maude died. Never before had the Simpsons been so unnecessarily cruel or morbid, and never before had I been honestly disturbed by a Simpsons episode. A show that started out as a light-hearted, family comedy took a turn for the worse when it became cynical and cruel.

What do you think?
I honestly don't know if The Simpsons is bad these days. I personally just stopped caring enough to keep up to date with it.

I remember the one where Skinner turned out to not be Skinner though. That was kinda dumb.
Not trying to be a douche here or anything, but I've never really laughed out loud at any Simpsons episode. It's more like "heh" at most. Can anyone link me an episode that is generally considered to be a great episode or something? Maybe I've just been seeing shit episodes.
Its gone down since season 16 I think but the 500th episode made me laugh quite abit

EDIT: same lost legion same
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
Last edited by cha33 armstrong at Jun 23, 2013,
Quote by Jehuty
Not trying to be a douche here or anything, but I've never really laughed out loud at any Simpsons episode. It's more like "heh" at most. Can anyone link me an episode that is generally considered to be a great episode or something? Maybe I've just been seeing shit episodes.

Marge vs the Monorail and Two Bad Neighbours are probably my personal favorite funny episodes.

Quote by LostLegion
I've laughed more at Family Guy than I have at The Simpsons.

I laughed more at my dad cutting faces when I was baby than at anything else.
Season 10 was kinda meh but I hated season 11 so I didn't continue.
Quote by Jehuty

Unless I'm watching stuff with someone else I don't laugh out loud to myself anyway. But I still think Lisa's Substitute is the best episode and there's very few laughs in that at all. It's not really about being massively hilarious

EDIT: Also, I don't think morbidity is really wildly out of character for The Simpsons. It's not like the show doesn't do dark themes well
Last edited by willT08 at Jun 23, 2013,
Quote by CoreysMonster
I laughed more at my dad cutting faces

and you guys think the maude episode was morbid
Quote by willT08
Unless I'm watching stuff with someone else I don't laugh out loud to myself anyway. But I still think Lisa's Substitute is the best episode and there's very few laughs in that at all. It's not really about being massively hilarious

EDIT: Also, I don't think morbidity is really wildly out of character for The Simpsons. It's not like the show doesn't do dark themes well

Simpsons did morbid humor well, like with that Grimes character. It showed off just how stupid everyone in Springfield is, and it worked.

Killing off Maude was just pointless and cruel. It was mean for being mean's sake, and offered zero comedy value. It's not even like the voice actress died, like with Troy McClure and Phil Hartman, God rest his soul.
The line that most made me laugh the most was in the episode lisa and nelson went out and jimbo says "you kissed a girl thats so gay"
You hit 'em and they get back up
I hit 'em and they stay down
- Frank Castle
It was necessary to build a more dimensional Ned though, I think that's the only real justification for it. I can't remember the episode to say how grim I found the actual thing happening
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
It's character development. Don't see how it's morbid.

Even if it was character development, it was the development of going through the mourning and grieving stage of losing a loved one. Ned got depressed because he was a widower, his kids lost their mother.

How the balls is that NOT morbid?
I wouldn't say that the show lost it at that point as it was still good after. I'd say the show has lost it at some point in the last 5 - 8 years.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by willT08
It was necessary to build a more dimensional Ned though, I think that's the only real justification for it. I can't remember the episode to say how grim I found the actual thing happening

Hey, let's make a character more dimensional by making him horrifically sad. That'll get us the teenaged demographic!
Is that when Homer shoots her with the t-shirt cannon? That shit was hilarious.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Even if it was character development, it was the development of going through the mourning and grieving stage of losing a loved one. Ned got depressed because he was a widower, his kids lost their mother.

How the balls is that NOT morbid?

Yeah for that episode. It's not like Ned spiralled into a pit of depression. For a slightly dark topic, I think the handled it pretty well. The Grimes episode is way more morbid I think.
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
Yeah for that episode. It's not like Ned spiralled into a pit of depression. For a slightly dark topic, I think the handled it pretty well. The Grimes episode is way more morbid I think.

I'm watching the season right now, and Ned is definitely depressed throughout. They may not slap it on heavy-handedly, but it's clear that his always-cheery demeanor is gone throughout the season.

Grimes had dark irony working for it, Maude was just a normal innocent good person that was killed off. I dunno, that just seems pointlessly cruel to me.
Quote by AnAngrySquirrel
It's character development. Don't see how it's morbid.

It's almost as if you might say that the Simpsons....

...are in Arrested Development.
Quote by Philip_pepper
I haven't seen a new Simpsons episode since 2008.

Is it still as bad now as it was then?

Lisa meets Lady Gaga.

Nuff said.

EDIT: phil, I love you, but you need to go stand in the corner for that joke. Go take a time-out.
Quote by Trowzaa
Is that when Homer shoots her with the t-shirt cannon? That shit was hilarious.

Homer wants a T-shit, bends over to pick up a penny, maude gets done in with the t-shirt shot from the gun.

+1 to that shits hilarious

Simpsons just relies on cameos and stupid stuff. A lot of the earlier episodes had some sort of lesson or value behind it, it gave it some sort of purpose i guess. They have been boring for a long time though, I genuinely couldn't tell you the last time i actually watched it.

Family guy has been hilarious for 11 seasons. It's one of the only comedies on TV which i think has stayed funny after a lot of seasons. Big Bang Theory and How i Met Your Mother being prime examples of shows which are way past being funny.
Manchester United
Quote by LostLegion
Also, I started watching South Park two weeks ago. Some of that shit's funny too.

I know loads of people who think it's hilarious, but i ****ing hate it. It's just not funny.

It's just crude for the sake of being crude.
Manchester United
it was all find and dandy until ricky gervais turned up and ruined it.
DONT RISK IT, BUY A BASS AMP
Quote by CoreysMonster

Screw all of y'all. What would you say passes for a good TV comedy then?
Manchester United
Looking at the plot summaries of episodes on wikipedia, I seem to have watched up to season 15.

It was treading water for the most part by then, I can't think how much the show must suck by now. Though I did just watch a simpsons christmas episode from seasons 23 and it was at least enjoyable.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Quote by Shabalaba

Screw all of y'all. What would you say passes for a good TV comedy then?

Honestly, old Futurama.

I know I sound like an old curmudgeon that is all about old crap.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dyxr--0hHWU

But seriously Bob's Burgers are like the funniest thing I've seen in ages. Long live Bobs Burgers.
To be honest, new Simpsons is still half decent. Not nearly as amazing as the early stuff, but it gives me a few chuckles.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Lisa meets Lady Gaga.

Nuff said.

EDIT: phil, I love you, but you need to go stand in the corner for that joke. Go take a time-out.

Ok.

Ich bereue nichts!
Has anyone else found that Simpsons characters are becoming caricatures of themselves?

Ned Flanders is probably the best example. He started out as the 'perfect neighbour', whose family was in stark contrast to Homer's own. The writers gradually increased his piety as an extension of that joke (God helping Ned's team win in bowling etc). Somewhere along the line though, Ned became just a vehicle for religious intolerance jokes (it's all I remember from the movie).
Gear:
Ibanez S470 (EMG 81/S/85)
Sigma DMC-15E
Laney VH100R
Laney 4x12 Cab
Ibanez Weeping Demon
M-Audio ProKeys 88
Mbox 3 Pro
KRK RP6 G2's
Plum Team FTW!

X
Quote by CoreysMonster
Honestly, old Futurama.

I know I sound like an old curmudgeon that is all about old crap.

Quote by Tanglewoodguit
QI or nothing for me

Futurama is actually still half decent. I watch it every so often and its still enjoyable.

Family guy just always makes me giggle. I think every episode gets at least one laugh out of me.

American dad/ Cleveland Show are both shit.

Old Two & A Half Men is great too. Lost it after a few seasons though.
Manchester United
Page 1 of 4