Poll: Do you use hearing protection while playing?
Poll Options
View poll results: Do you use hearing protection while playing?
Yes
20 33%
No
40 67%
Voters: 60.
Page 1 of 2
Just wondering for curiosity's sake. Yesterday, on a whim, I put on my construction earmuffs and started playing. Maybe it's just that it sounded different from normal, but I liked the tone I was hearing a lot better, lol! What I noticed was that everything sounded much clearer and tighter -- my playing actually sounded tighter. I had my 6505+ with the post gain on "2" which is pretty damn loud. The earmuffs seemed to filter out some of the harshness and let me hear......more....for lack of a better term. It sounded more like the tone I would hear on an album. Has anyone else noticed this?
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
No
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by KailM
^^Lol, why am I not surprised?

I'm not sure how you could be surprised, tbh. To him, bedroom levels is a cranked Plexi, remember?
My Name is Cameron.
Quote by Cathbard
For me, bedroom levels is a cranked plexi half stack.

Now get off my ****ing lawn.

Last edited by Maineguitarist at Jun 23, 2013,
I never used to, but I've started using earplugs, more-so so that I can hear myself sing as I've started doing more backing vocals live. The protecting the hearing thing, is just an added bonus.

But if I was to gig more regularly I would definitely invest in a quality pair, as the I found the cheaper earplugs tend to lower the volume of certain frequencies more than others.
Quote by Kensai
You'll find whisky very different, but try it and you'll grow into it, soon you and whisky are one, but still two, lovers dancing across a frozen lake under moonlight, wrapped in honey and warmth.

Sums up whisky perfectly
Quote by KailM
^^Lol, why am I not surprised?

He's old and deaf, he doesn't need to.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
I don't like using your run of the mill construction earplugs, I find that it just blocks out too much.

My band has been using a shure wireless in-ears setup for the past 8 months or so, and we love it. The headphones themselfs aren't exactly earplugs, but they do block out a lot of sound.

Even with my halfstack cranked up on stage right next to me, I can hear the whole mix fine; and theres no more ear ringing 2 hours after the gig
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
I've had some cheaper (+/- €30) earplugs in the past, but to me it seemed like I was playing underwater and I couldn't really distinguish any instruments from each other; Nowadays I play without, which is a problem... Just waiting for the moment I have enough cash to get a decent pair made.
Tell me who's that writin'...
Squier "VMC" Stratocaster
PRS SE Singlecut
tc electronic polytune
CMAT MODS Signa Drive
Blakemore Effects Deus Ex Machina
DIY gaussmarkov Dr. Boogey
EHX Small Clone
Mooer ShimVerb
DIY Beavis Devolt
T-REX Fuel Tank Chameleon
Ampeg GVT52-112
I don't when i'm just playing, I wear protection at gigs and at band practice. So many rehearsal rooms and bars where local bands play have poor acoustics and it will surely mess up your hearing.

I have these in ear buds which cost about £30, they don't muffle the sound, I can hear everything a lot clearer. If you're gigging or just rehearsing, you should use them. You'll be thankful when you're 50.
Quote by AJScott
I don't when i'm just playing, I wear protection at gigs and at band practice. So many rehearsal rooms and bars where local bands play have poor acoustics and it will surely mess up your hearing.
This. I always wear them at band practice because we have to play very loud to overcome our drummer in our room. It has what we can "shotgun acoustics" because its a long and narrow room and projects everything in one direction -- which is where we stand while we play.

At shows its hit or miss for me. They are always much quieter than band practice and even quieter for us than it is for the crowd, IMO, since we're behind the monitors projecting out to them and just have our amps, which are set pretty low because they mic them, and the stage monitors which don't need to be that loud because our amps aren't that loud.
Sorry if I offended anyone (Linkerman) by making a repeat-thread. My suggestion is to simply move on and don't continue to read the thread.

The reason I tried it in the first place is I tend to set right in front of my amp with it elevated up on a bench -- so the speaker is almost directly in front of my head.

With my amp, it starts sounding good at about 1.5-2 on the post gain -- which leaves my ears ringing after not too much playing time. The earmuffs seem to allow me to get the tone I like without damaging my already-suspect hearing.
Atmospheric dark metal w/ black and death metal influences:
(My Soundcloud page):

Pestilential Flood
If you don't you should.

I didn't use hearing protection during a host of very loud activities when I was younger and I have permanent hearing damage to show for it.

There are some frequencies I can no longer hear, it's not worth it.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Cathbard
No

I used to, but since my ear ****ed up it kinda hurts to wear earplugs, so i don't any more (but i don't play as loud, either).
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Arby911
If you don't you should.

I didn't use hearing protection during a host of very loud activities when I was younger and I have permanent hearing damage to show for it.

There are some frequencies I can no longer hear, it's not worth it.

x2. I have a constant ringing in my ears and one distorts under load noises. I have to sleep with a fan on to kill the noise I hear constantly.

I'm only 31.

You can't go back once the damage is done.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
See, it's important that people clarify when they say "metal", because I pretty much always assume they are a Cannibal Corpse fanboi.
No it sounds weird with ear-plugs/protection.

Besides I was born when men were still made of good non-pussified parts.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
What are you young whipper snappers saying? You'll have to speak up.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Robbgnarly
No it sounds weird with ear-plugs/protection.

Besides I was born when men were still made of good non-pussified parts.

Get the right ones then... I have a pair of Etymotics universal fit, and the molded ones with the changeable filters. I was very skeptical at first, but they really do sound like the room, just quieter. I can even have conversations with people while they're in, lol.

I don't practice at home with them, but definitely at practice and at gigs (depending on the gig).
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra
I always wear hearing protection. Shooting, concerts, bar sluts; always gotta wear protection
"If you're looking for me,
you better check under the sea,
because that's where you'll find me..."
I'm only planning to live to 60, so im not worried about long term hearing damage. I'm 23 and I already have slight tinnitus problems. I play out of a cranked tube out almost everyday.
banned
"Do you use hearing protection while playing?"

If the question is about playing at home, then no.

But if it's about playing with my band, it depends. When we have band practices, the room is so small that everything sounds pretty loud. So in band practices I use earplugs.

I haven't played many gigs but all gigs I have played haven't been that loud so no earplugs needed.
Quote by AlanHB
Just remember that there are no boring scales, just boring players.

Gear

Bach Stradivarius 37G
Charvel So Cal
Fender Dimension Bass
Hartke HyDrive 210c
Ibanez BL70
Laney VC30
Tokai TB48
Yamaha FG720S-12
Yamaha P115
Quote by ExDementia
Bar sluts, hahahaha. I lol'd.

Which brings me to MY analogy. Wearing ear protection on stage would be like doing a bar slut with 3 condoms on at the same time. Wait a minute...that would be like...like....
necessary
I've already lost a bit of hearing from high stage volumes, but DAMN it's fun while you're playing. I don't know about you guys, but I pass hearing tests OK, but I can't understand people talking if there's ambient noise or other people talking close by. Can't disinguish individual conversations. Frustrating sometimes. Still worth it
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011
I wear it when i'm playing with the band because i don't want to end up deaf or with tinnitus.

If i'm just playing on my own i don't really play ridiculously loud to the point my ears are ringing or anything so in that instance there is no need.

It's bad enough for the hearing to be having to play gigs where you're gonna inevitably be hearing a band soundcheck or obnoxiously loud music out of the PA in some places before you even go on, it's difficult to keep your ears protected at all times but over time all the little bits of damage will add up, and i really don't want bad tinnitus, my cousin has it and it sounds terrible.
Some people are more prone to industrial deafness than others. I'm obviously not one of those people. 30 years of gigging in front of loud amps and my hearing is still fine for a man of my age.
I had tinitus for 2 years following a judo injury. I learned to ignore it.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard
Some people are more prone to industrial deafness than others. I'm obviously not one of those people. 30 years of gigging in front of loud amps and my hearing is still fine for a man of my age.

Have you actually had a hearing test?
Charles Darwin
Not for a few years but I did a while ago and it came out ok and I haven't noticed any drop since then. A little down in one part of the spectrum in my left ear and that would have been from shooting high powered rifles and shotguns when I was quite young (the assymetrical nature of it is a dead giveaway). Nothing bad though.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Jun 24, 2013,
Quote by Cathbard
Not for a few years but I did a while ago and it came out ok and I haven't noticed any drop since then. A little down in one part of the spectrum in my left ear and that would have been from shooting high powered rifles and shotguns when I was quite young (the assymetrical nature of it is a dead giveaway). Nothing bad though.

Mine is actually a significant notch for much the same reasons. I can't hear crickets anymore. Fortunately it's a high enough frequency to not ruin music for me but there are some tuning harmonics I can't hear.

Never thought I would miss that but I do.
Charles Darwin
Rifles and shotguns are pretty extreme. If somebody fired a shotgun at a Deep Purple concert you'd hear it quite clearly. There aren't many things that will **** you up quicker than a big rifle or a 12 gauge.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Quote by Cathbard

Amps i can deal with usually, i hate the harsh treble off of cymbals though, anything up there that's loud around the 3 - 4khz piercing frequency area and it's almost painful, the feeling of that is not something i like, especially from a loud drummer when sometimes even a harsh sounding snare is similar.

Although I do know my singer has often gone for ages without earplugs in and as far as i know doesn't have tinnitus. Although he'd probably pretend he didn't if he did so it's hard to say >_>
Last edited by Zoot Allures at Jun 24, 2013,
never guitar, shotgun mufflers for drumming though.

i plan on getting some custom molded. but just haven't got around to it.
WTLT 2014 GG&A

Quote by andersondb7
alright "king of the guitar forum"

Quote by trashedlostfdup
nope i am "GOD of the guitar forum" i think that fits me better.

Quote by andersondb7
youre just being a jerk man.

****** NEW NEW NEW!
2017-07-07 2017-07-07 Update and a Chat On Noise Constraints *** NEW FRIDAY 7/7
2017-04-13 RUN AWAY from COMPUTERS!!! TCE? RANT ALERT!!!
2017-03-02 - Guitar Philosophy 1001- Be Prepared For the Situation (Thursday 2017-03-02)
2017-02-21 How to Hot-Rod the Hell of your Stratocaster for $50! (Tuesday 2017-2-21)
Resentments and Rambling from a Guitar Junkie
---> http://trashedengineering.blogspot.com/
I'm a punk. Get caught wearing hearing protection playing punk and they'll take away your union card.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Just for clarification; wearing multiple jimmy hats increases the likelihood of a breakage... Just use one, and if she's nasty enough that that seems insufficient maybe you should refrain.

Wait, what we talking about?
Quote by Cathbard
Quote by Raijouta
Unless its electronic drums.

BURN THE WITCH!!!!!
^^^^ yeah cymbals are a killer. i used to play the drums in school (and we had a couple of drummers) and one day i was just sitting listening beside the kit as the other guy was playing, and he hit the cymbal beside my head and i'm sure my hearing hasn't been as good since I didn't get tinnitus from it or anything, but just i swore my hearing was never quite as good afterwards.

Quote by Arby911
Mine is actually a significant notch for much the same reasons. I can't hear crickets anymore. Fortunately it's a high enough frequency to not ruin music for me but there are some tuning harmonics I can't hear.

Never thought I would miss that but I do.

just move here, i don't think we have crickets (or at least, I think we do, but they don't make that massive noise that they do in warmer places)
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by R45VT
x2. I have a constant ringing in my ears and one distorts under load noises. I have to sleep with a fan on to kill the noise I hear constantly.

I'm only 31.

You can't go back once the damage is done.

One of my ears distorts quite painfully under even moderate volumes, has done since long as I can remember, though I can hear as high as 26kHz in that ear. Is this normal? (21 years old)
I actually play with a hearing protection because it hurts. But my ears are oversensitive to noise, just like my eyes are to light and my body to pain. Every time I step out of the door in summertime I have to keep my eyes closed for a few seconds because the light hurts. Same thing with music, I can't listen or play at high volumes without hearing protection.
Page 1 of 2