I'm trying, and struggling, to get a beefier bassier mix. I can get that low subsonic bass and the low mids punch of the guitars but I can't seem to capture that massive chunky lowend. Any tips or tricks? Ways to get a better bass DI or heavier mix?

I'm striving for an Electric Wizard type tone, grimy with fuzzed out guitars and a massive low end. I've been trying to leave some room ~50hz for the kick and have been slamming the 100-200hz range but the bass is just getting muddier rather than more prominent. Thoughts?
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
You do have a bass guitar in the mix right? Cuz adding the bass end of the guitar just leads to mud.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Of course. I'll try cutting some of the guitar low end and see if that clears it up a bit.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
No because a world full of marbles silly man is just as real as a half empty glass of microwaved nesquik.
Don't cut too much! I have a project somewhere where I went for that "beefy" low-heavy guitar tone; I'll have a look at that and see if it helps. I referenced it off the newest Moonsorrow album.

Okay, here's what I did:
*Turn up the bass really loud
*Low-pass the clean bass signal at around 120 Hz
*Set the guitar EQ about 6-3-8
*Pretty sharp high-pass on the guitars at 100 Hz
That way, the guitars have plenty of bass, but not mud, and there's not too much overlap with the bass.
One sec and I'll have it on DropBox so you can hear it.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Jun 23, 2013,
And this is, more or less, what that'll give you:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wq9vg37vub3bhxz/Blodnatt.mp3
Now that I listen to it, it kind of sucks, but you can hear how it's mostly driven by the bass, rather than the guitars. Plus, you said you were notching out a space for the kick drum, so that'll help things.
Last edited by Cavalcade at Jun 23, 2013,
^Thanks. Not exactly the tone I'm going for but it's given me a couple ideas to try. I have another song I'm working on that's sort of Black metal towards the end so I'll give it a test there too.

Vinum Sabbathi by Electric Wizard is probably the best example of the level of bass I'm shooting for:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iDNFd9XbW0

Another of there songs, Supercoven, is what I'm probably more realistically capable of getting.

Any tips for getting a heavy saturated bass tone in general would be appreciated too, I've only just started playing and recording with a real 4 string.
For Frodo!
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
Last edited by robertito696 at Jun 23, 2013,
How about this: Just forget about leaving room for the kick drum. I'm not hearing much low kick on that song, so just give the bass the whole low end. The drive in that song comes from the <100 range, and the guitars don't have a whole lot of bass to them (you can hear in that break at 3:20-ish). The bass is pretty distorted, though, and distortion always comes out higher than the rest of the signal, because distortion adds overtones to the sound, which are at a higher frequency.
Also, I just noticed the bass is panned left, and the guitar is panned right. That might help a bit.