ok so i lost a scholarship last semester cause I was too good for them

BUT I got an email thats like "apply now for the debate team to get scholarship money"

and I'm kind of a master debater

so I think I'm gonna join even though I usually hate club stuff and am late to everything

Does anyone know what this stuff is about especially in college?
I would join my school's team except I'd probably have the luck of having to argue against gay marriage or some other trivial issue.
'Master Debater'

How cute.
Quote by TheSennaj
And well yes, I'll enjoy the carpal tunnel and tendonitis, because trying to get one is clearly smarter than any word you have spoken thus far.
I did debate in high school but it was so much awful work. Don't do it. They're just trying to use your mexican diversity and ability to speak spanish fast.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Quote by Skullivan
I would join my school's team except I'd probably have the luck of having to argue against gay marriage or some other trivial issue.

adam n eve not adam n steve

maybe I do have a future in debate
Quote by Skullivan

But if there are 2 dudes, which one has the vagina?
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by bradulator
I did debate in high school but it was so much awful work. Don't do it. They're just trying to use your mexican diversity and ability to speak spanish fast.

is it really?

And my spanish is god awful, I can't understand it spoken fast.
My friend in high school did an announcement for debate team and opened with "Do you wish to be a master debater?"

He got a lot of shit for it.
Quote by Weaponized
is it really?

And my spanish is god awful, I can't understand it spoken fast.

Have you ever done debate before?

I dunno what it's like in college, but my school was like top 3 Speech & Debate for like 10 straight years. And we won state a bunch of times. Debate was just a lot of work. It was fun sometimes but if you don't like to do a lot of work (assuming it's like how it was in high school) then you will not like it.

And you have to speak fast in English for 8 minutes reading as much of your argument as you can so yeah.
Quote by blake1221
My friend in high school did an announcement for debate team and opened with "Do you wish to be a master debater?"

He got a lot of shit for it.

Quote by bradulator
Have you ever done debate before?

I dunno what it's like in college, but my school was like top 3 Speech & Debate for like 10 straight years. And we won state a bunch of times. Debate was just a lot of work. It was fun sometimes but if you don't like to do a lot of work (assuming it's like how it was in high school) then you will not like it.

And you have to speak fast in English for 8 minutes reading as much of your argument as you can so yeah.

no ive never done anything before

I hate doing stuff but the money would probably motivate me.

will you be my sensei
Do it

I will be your Seinsei
Quote by Weaponized
ok so i lost a scholarship last semester cause I was too good for them

Hmmmmm...
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I've been told I would be a good debater. My high school had a team and I was surprised at the variety of categories. It's much more than just "I'm right, you're wrong."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Speech_and_Debate_Tournament
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Jon777
If it's anything like debate was in high school, you're gonna be in for a party when your opposition starts spreading at you.

Spreading is of the devil.

Isn't that where people talk so fast that everyone can't understand what they're talking about then they use that as evidence that they're are right because you weren't listening to the point that they were making at the time of when they talking to fast to hear what they're saying and that makes you very very very wrong?
Quote by Skullivan

No you wouldn't.
Quote by Malchius
Isn't that where people talk so fast that everyone can't understand what they're talking about then they use that as evidence that they're are right because you weren't listening to the point that they were making at the time of when they talking to fast to hear what they're saying and that makes you very very very wrong?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4pQe11eZc

It's one of the reasons I didn't look into debating because I thought it's was stupid. If someone started talking like that I would just stand there wondering what the hell this guy was trying to prove.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
It's much more than just "I'm right, you're wrong."

Nah, that's pretty much all it is. You and your debate partner spend time in class getting sources and evidence and preparing your arguments for both the affirmative and negative and put it all organized in a big box that you bring to the tournaments with you. Once you get there, you look at the brackets and find out if you have to argue in favor of x or against x. So you pull out the prepared arguments and responses to potential critiques and stuff and prove why you're right and the opposing debaters are wrong. That's kinda why I hated it honestly.

I have a "Best Speaker" trophy though from a tournament once
Quote by rockingamer2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dj4pQe11eZc

It's one of the reasons I didn't look into debating because I thought it's was stupid. If someone started talking like that I would just stand there wondering what the hell this guy was trying to prove.

They talk so fast because there's a very strict time limit and you have a whole argument to flesh out. The opposing debaters usually already know what the crux of their argument will be so they mostly don't listen and instead look through their box for their responses.
From what I've read about debate teams, it seems it's more about getting the other person or judges into agreeing with you using tricks and false logic then actual debating.
Quote by bradulator
Nah, that's pretty much all it is. You and your debate partner spend time in class getting sources and evidence and preparing your arguments for both the affirmative and negative and put it all organized in a big box that you bring to the tournaments with you. Once you get there, you look at the brackets and find out if you have to argue in favor of x or against x. So you pull out the prepared arguments and responses to potential critiques and stuff and prove why you're right and the opposing debaters are wrong. That's kinda why I hated it honestly.

I have a "Best Speaker" trophy though from a tournament once

But aren't there things like dramatic and humorous interpretation and other things that aren't a debate at all.

And on the spreading, I guess that makes sense.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Malchius

Preeeetty much. Check out the video that was posted and you'll get the gist of it.
Quote by rockingamer2
But aren't there things like dramatic and humorous interpretation and other things that aren't a debate at all.

Those are speech things, not debate. Speech and Debate are two different things. Speech is pretty literally choosing a speech of a certain length and topic (hence dramatic and humorous) and performing it at the tournament VS the speeches of others in the same category (dramatic/humorous/etc). Some people do both speech stuff and debate stuff, but the two are basically separate entities.

Debate stuff really has nothing to do with speech stuff though. Debaters usually do extemporaneous speeches which you sign up before the tournament whether you'll be doing a foreign extemp speech or a domestic one. For extemp speeches you also spend time in class finding current event type stories of all kinds (either foreign or domestic depending on your preference) and highlight important information about them. You take THAT box with you to the tournament and after all of the debates have happened, you and all of the other debaters/people who signed up for extemp speeches go into a room where you basically just draw a topic out of a hat and you have like 30 minutes to look through your box and find relevant information on the topic and some quotes and "prepare" your speech. Then you go into a room and just wing it, hopefully managing to spout out something coherent in a small classroom to a handful of judges for 4-6 minutes or something like that.

It is all very stressful.
Quote by Malchius
From what I've read about debate teams, it seems it's more about getting the other person or judges into agreeing with you using tricks and false logic then actual debating.

That's true. In each debate, there's 1 judge and you really just have to convince that judge (who is usually a former/college debater) why your team's argument is better than the other team's.

EDIT: you don't necessarily use tricks and false logic though.
Last edited by bradulator at Jun 23, 2013,
Quote by Malchius

That's debatable.
Quote by bradulator
Those are speech things, not debate. Speech and Debate are two different things. Speech is pretty literally choosing a speech of a certain length and topic (hence dramatic and humorous) and performing it at the tournament VS the speeches of others in the same category (dramatic/humorous/etc). Some people do both speech stuff and debate stuff, but the two are basically separate entities.

Now I feel really stupid for not realizing the speech AND debate thing.

Thanks for the info.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by Weaponized
and I'm kind of a master debater

Just as long as you're also a cunning linguist.

Debate sounds like it'd be kind of fun (I always enjoy when we have debates in my classes) but I don't think my school has a team and tbh I don't think I'd want to hang out with the kind of people at my school who would do debate club.
Last edited by ManInTheBox14 at Jun 23, 2013,
I did a lot of debate in high school. Went to a few tournaments and got a few trophies - its all about presentation and personality. The main idea is that you could be completely wrong regarding the subject but still win the debate on technicalities. Imagine the topic being something like "the sky is blue" - it doesnt matter how much science you know (in fact you dont have to be knowledgable on the topic in any way at all), its about who can build a more creative argument and hold it strong enough to outweight the opponent's. There are more serious forms of debate though that require a lot of preparation and research - knowledge is key in these debates, but the idea that you can be wrong but win still applies. Its not so much the content of the aguments but the way that you create it and present it.

If your school is anything like mine, its generally not a big deal - they didnt care to take our trophies and display them. You also get a vast amount of cocky teens that feel they are qualified because of their experience arguing on the internet or because they are constantly surrounded by less intelligent people. These people just become stepping stones on your way to winning tournaments, you will come to appreciate their participation. Also, most tournmanets are rather small and the judges are really just parents and volunteers who have no idea whats going on. However, the bigger tournaments are a great place to make connections. I won undefeated at one of my tournaments and was stopped by a man as I was leaving who turned out to be recruiting for Stanford. I was offered acceptance into the school, but had to turn it down because they wouldnt throw in any discounts or grants. Its totally worth joining, even if you do not win any trophies - the improvements in your speech and communication skills will have a huge impact on your life.

BTW, I won my first debate doing an improv speech on Abraham Lincoln. Didnt know much about him except what he looked like, so my main argument was that he was ugly and inspired ugly people around the world.
Quote by ManInTheBox14
Debate sounds like it'd be kind of fun (I always enjoy when we have debates in my classes) but I don't think my school has a team and tbh I don't think I'd want to hang out with the kind of people at my school who would do debate club.

I thought it would be fun because of that reason too, but it's the complete opposite of free and open debates typically had in classrooms cuz it's not about what you think about the issue, it's about proving the position that you have no choice but to take is right or proving that the position the other person takes is wrong. The latter is more fun, but it's completely different from fun debates you have in normal classes.

Also, I quit after a year because it was for realz super culty. The teacher was a jerk and arrogant because he built something of a dynasty. Most of the people in Speech & Debate were like really annoying and talkative and emotional and stuff. They were all really good at it (they were the only activity in the school [including all sports] along with band that ever was successful at anything while I was in HS) so good for them and all, but it was a way annoying and stressful cult.
Quote by bradulator
That's true. In each debate, there's 1 judge and you really just have to convince that judge (who is usually a former/college debater) why your team's argument is better than the other team's.

EDIT: you don't necessarily use tricks and false logic though.

I meant things like the Chewbacca Defense were popular in debate. It's a fairly mysterious thing to me as we don't have them in Britain, or at least I've never heard or seen anything like it here.
Last edited by Malchius at Jun 23, 2013,
It's a speech and debate club I should have been more specific

If it includes bullshitting I should be ok

oh and there's an audition in like 5 days, I'm gonna have to look things up

heres the page if people want to give hints on specific things or just wanna look at stuff http://www.cvent.com/events/gcu-speech-debate-team-auditions/custom-18-a8209b446e5f431a978f4ae32be94bd6.aspx
Last edited by Weaponized at Jun 23, 2013,
Quote by Ssargentslayer
Debating is dumb. Real men are just always right.

Clearly, you've never been married.

Just end every debate with "Yeah? well.....FUCK YOU!"
Quote by Weaponized
It's a speech and debate club I should have been more specific

If it includes bullshitting I should be ok

oh and there's an audition in like 5 days, I'm gonna have to look things up

heres the page if people want to give hints on specific things or just wanna look at stuff http://www.cvent.com/events/gcu-speech-debate-team-auditions/custom-18-a8209b446e5f431a978f4ae32be94bd6.aspx

It doesn't load for me but I forgot you go to a Jesus school so i'm surprised they allow debate
Quote by CodeMonk
Clearly, you've never been married.

Just end every debate with "Yeah? well.....FUCK YOU!"

Actually I just do math all day so there's hardly a debate whether you're right or wrong.