I'm looking for a 24 track recorder to record some demos, and I'll be doing a lot of overdubbing on guitar tracks and drums. I was thinking of a Tascam DP-24 with 4 Shure SM57 mics for my amp and drums. There's just four things I want to know
1. Can I record singing directly to the unit?
2. Is it easy to use?
3. Can I put songs from the sd card onto a disk using the DP-24?
4. Is the sound quality good?

Also, feel free to recommend any other ideas
If you go into the interfaces sticky, there's a huge list of multitrack related goodness.
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
Yeah - the DP24 is the more up to date version of the 2488 that I recommended on there. I'd say the answer is yes to all your questions.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Quote by _Le0n_
I'm looking for a 24 track recorder to record some demos, and I'll be doing a lot of overdubbing on guitar tracks and drums. I was thinking of a Tascam DP-24 with 4 Shure SM57 mics for my amp and drums. There's just four things I want to know
1. Can I record singing directly to the unit?
2. Is it easy to use?
3. Can I put songs from the sd card onto a disk using the DP-24?
4. Is the sound quality good?

Also, feel free to recommend any other ideas

Sounds like you're completely new to this stuff. Nothing wrong with that, but the DP-24 may not be ideal for you.

What exactly are you wanting to record, what gear do you currently have, and how much are you willing to spend?

Personally I'd go with the Zoom R16 instead anyway - same amount of simultaneous inputs but cheaper and with more flexibility.
Quote by kyle62
Sounds like you're completely new to this stuff. Nothing wrong with that, but the DP-24 may not be ideal for you.

What exactly are you wanting to record, what gear do you currently have, and how much are you willing to spend?

Personally I'd go with the Zoom R16 instead anyway - same amount of simultaneous inputs but cheaper and with more flexibility.

I'll be recording demos, song ideas, covers and drum solos. I have an Epiphone les paul, a boss ds2, an ehx small clone and a crybaby with a roland cube 20xl, and a four piece drum kit. I can spend anything under €1000, but I'd like to keep it cheap.
Is the R16 easy to use, and can i transfer the recording from the sd card onto a disk using a computer? I'll be getting a new laptop soon so there's no worries about using it with a laptop. I'll also have the amp mic'd instead of plugging in directly.
Last edited by _Le0n_ at Jun 24, 2013,
Forgot to mention I'll be recording each track individual e.g guitar, then vocals over guitar, then drums over guitar and vocals etc etc. Can I do this or does everything have to be recorded at the same time?
With all multitrackers you can record one thing at a time, so you're OK for that one.

The Zoom R16 is designed to be used with a computer, so there won't be any problems transfering your end product to a disc (assume you mean CD?). The main difference between that an the DP24 is that the DP24 is designed to do it all as a standalone thing, whereas the R16 needs to be linked with a computer for certain functions.

If you're after a purely standalone DAW, then the DP24 is the answer. If you want a halfway house between that & a PC based setup, then the R16 is a good way forward. Personally I'd take the DP24, as I prefer having everything in a single package, but other people prefer using PC based DAWs because allow for extra VST plugins etc. It's up to you how you think you'll want to work.
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud