View poll results: best saiyan sacrifice
Goku
2 14%
Vegeta
6 43%
screw the saiyans what about Piccolo, 16, Krillin, etc
6 43%
Voters: 14.
Vegeta lost his hope against every major villain, while Goku was always all "Lol no probs, we can beat him". Vegeta went from villain to hero, and deserves all the respect.
Is sacrificing yourself really that big of a deal in the Dragon Ball Z universe? They just end up bringing everyone back to life a few episodes later.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Vegeta lost his hope against every major villain, while Goku was always all "Lol no probs, we can beat him". Vegeta went from villain to hero, and deserves all the respect.

Represent!

Anyone else is just jealous of my super sayian swagger.

Kakarot is a total Raditz.
Quote by WaterGod
Is sacrificing yourself really that big of a deal in the Dragon Ball Z universe? They just end up bringing everyone back to life a few episodes later.

Toriyama originally wanted Vegeta to be 100% dead after the Cell saga, and have him atone for his sins by dying for his son. Some asshole at Jump told him no, and so he had to make the Buu saga and bring Vegeta back.
I always think the sacrifice Android 16 makes is one of the best, he knows he can't come back if he dies as he's a machine yet he tries to kill Cell by killing himself to try and save Gohan, then even when he fails and is just a head he goes back knowing full well Cell will probably kill him so he can make sure Gohan can do what needed to be done.

I like characters who get things done, Future Trunks and Piccolo also fall under this category.
Quote by CarryMeHome
Piccolos sacrafice on Namek imo. Heroic and badass. Just like piccolo

Piccolo taking Nappa's attack to save Gohan. Although we all know he had time to

DODGE!!!!!!
Quote by Draken
Piccolo taking Nappa's attack to save Gohan. Although we all know he had time to

DODGE!!!!!!

best post
Quote by Draken
I always think the sacrifice Android 16 makes is one of the best, he knows he can't come back if he dies as he's a machine yet he tries to kill Cell by killing himself to try and save Gohan, then even when he fails and is just a head he goes back knowing full well Cell will probably kill him so he can make sure Gohan can do what needed to be done.

I like characters who get things done, Future Trunks and Piccolo also fall under this category.

Hmmm. Well. This is awkward.
Quote by CoreysMonster
Toriyama originally wanted Vegeta to be 100% dead after the Cell saga, and have him atone for his sins by dying for his son. Some asshole at Jump told him no, and so he had to make the Buu saga and bring Vegeta back.

The same for Goku to be dead after Cell, he wanted Gohan to be the hero after that, but the editor told him no, Goku had to be the hero.

Vegeta's was defiantly a more poignant moment, it showed that he'd actually developed more of a personality than 'I am the strongest ever' to actually want to protect someone, rather than the protecting of someone being a byproduct of fighting whoever was the strongest at the time

Goku had always been putting people first so it wasn't that a big of a shock when sacrificed himself (again).

Nail going up against Freiza is always something that stuck in my mind as an example similar to Android 16.
Last edited by Malchius at Jun 23, 2013,
Quote by Malchius
The same for Goku to be dead after Cell, he wanted Gohan to be the hero after that, but the editor told him no, Goku had to be the hero.

Vegeta's was defiantly a more poignant moment, it showed that he'd actually developed more of a personality than 'I am the strongest ever' to actually want to protect someone, rather than the protecting of someone being a byproduct of fighting whoever was the strongest at the time

Goku had always been putting people first so it wasn't that a big of a shock when sacrificed himself (again).

Vegeta even said "I'm never fighting again" after Son Goku died.

What happens in the next saga? Vegeta turns evil and fights again. Way to character development, Shonen Jump.
Ya forgot pretty crucial punctuation mark.

/grammar nazi
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by CoreysMonster
Vegeta even said "I'm never fighting again" after Son Goku died.

What happens in the next saga? Vegeta turns evil and fights again. Way to character development, Shonen Jump.

Jump are always changing things, for good and bad. It's as much as the (usually young) readers who fill out the survey cards and tell them want they to see.
Nahhhhhh.

Piccolo's sacrifice in GT was the most meaningful.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
Nahhhhhh.

Piccolo's sacrifice in GT was the most meaningful.

GT is like a crackhead uncle that was tossed into a dumpster as a small child and left for dead.

Vegeta's. Sure, it took place in a part of the timeline that wasn't originally intended that ruined the natural and best course of the series (Gohan becoming the strongest and inheriting Goku's obligations and responsibilities upon the death of Cell).

But, shit. Vegeta was far and away the coolest dude and his sacrifice really did reflect that. I mean when it happened I was all "shit, finally they let Vegeta win". Then I was disappointed. Which makes sense considering that entire arc and beyond of the story was basically just a cash cow appealing to Goku fans. But still, Vegeta was the man. Goku just teleports away and Cell blows up. Vegeta just blows up in a demonstration of bad-assery. You hear that piano riff and you just know shit got real.

I think everyone can agree that both sacrifices were major points of ridiculousness even for something as ridiculous as dragonball z was. that regen stuff was whack.

Damn, I geeked out. I loved this show as akid.