Page 1 of 65
I don't believe there is already a Star Wars thread, so I have made one.

Discuss the best science fiction franchise ever here.

inb4 trekkies

Big picture thought: what would have happened if Obi Wan would have believed Dooku and alerted the Jedi that Palpatine was a Sith?
Tomorrow will take us away
Far from home
No one will ever know our names
But the bards' songs will remain
Tomorrow will take it away
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Last edited by jjfeu662 at Jun 23, 2013,
Quote by Redsectoreh
Episode II and III are just awful. Hayden Christensen ruined those movies.

I agree. They're essential to the story arc, but the execution was horrendous.

The battles are awesome though.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Star Wars KotOR shapes my life more than it should.
██████████████████████████
████████████████████████
█████████████████████
██████████████████████
█████████████████████

LET'S GO BUCKS
Quote by Redsectoreh
Episode II and III are just awful. Hayden Christensen ruined those movies.

Hayden Christensen did fine. The problem with those movies (why not include 1?) is in the writing and excessive CGI.
Check out my band Disturbed
Before we get to 40 pages of "lol episodes 1-3 suck", let's talk about something good. Anyone play Star Wars Galaxies before it went crap? That game was easily one of the best MMO's imo.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
Even though I am an avid fan of the vidya games, I haven't tried either of the Force Unleashed games yet.

Opinions on them; from a Star Wars fan point of view?
Quote by StewieSwan
(why not include 1?)

I was young enough to really get into the first one. It's a kids movie, and haven't seen it since it came out. Upon seeing the other two, the appeal just wasn't there anymore.

But yeah; I'm sure if I tried to watch Phantom Menace now, I wouldn't be able to watch all of it. Darth Maul was pretty cool though...
Quote by UntilISleep
Even though I am an avid fan of the vidya games, I haven't tried either of the Force Unleashed games yet.

Opinions on them; from a Star Wars fan point of view?

I never fully played either but what I know of the story of the first one, I hate it so much. The entire concept that Vader had an apprentice who was supposed to be more powerful than he ever was is ludicrous.

Quote by Redsectoreh
But yeah; I'm sure if I tried to watch Phantom Menace now, I wouldn't be able to watch all of it. Darth Maul was pretty cool though...

Darth Maul was the best part of that movie.

Edit: I think I'm going to be in this thread a lot...
Last edited by Rawshik at Jun 23, 2013,
Every time I watch a Star Wars film I think it's worse than the last time. I used to really like them, but I guess I'm not 8 years old anymore.
The prequels were decent movies. Good fun, and I've watched them repeatedly. People severely underrate them because they have to be compared to the originals.
Quote by Overlord
It's not hard to be nice, but it's nice to be hard
Lol no one has even responded to OP's question. That being said, the answer is yes.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by Jackintehbox
Star Wars video games are better than Star Wars movies. Way better.

The books are pretty good. Xanatos ftw.
Darth Bane is the best.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Jackintehbox
Star Wars video games are better than Star Wars movies. Way better.

The best Star Wars game in my opinion:

Hope Dash Rendar is in the new movies some way or another.
I read the first installment of the new young jedi series years ago when I was a budding teenager. Loved it. The library never had the rest of them though.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Star Wars is koo.

Is it just me, or does KOTOR have a better story than any of the movies?
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Quote by muffinduck01
Star Wars is koo.

It really does. But the KOTOR games rely heavily on things established in the movies. Intertextuality.
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by muffinduck01
Star Wars is koo.

KOTOR, possibly. KOTOR 2? No.
I think a lot of my dislike for the prequel trilogy was that it was too shiny. In the original trilogy, everything was beat to hell and looked like it had seen some use. I forget who said it, but I once heard it said that everything looked like it had a story, which really stuck with me. The rust around the edges made the world seem deeper and distinguished Star Wars for me from other space operas. The prequel trilogy was much cleaner and didn't look nearly as used of lived in, which immediately made it feel like an imitation rather than a revisit. That said, the lightsaber battle at the end of Phantom Menace is still the best duel they've ever had.
Quote by Geldin
I think a lot of my dislike for the prequel trilogy was that it was too shiny. In the original trilogy, everything was beat to hell and looked like it had seen some use. I forget who said it, but I once heard it said that everything looked like it had a story, which really stuck with me. The rust around the edges made the world seem deeper and distinguished Star Wars for me from other space operas. The prequel trilogy was much cleaner and didn't look nearly as used of lived in, which immediately made it feel like an imitation rather than a revisit. That said, the lightsaber battle at the end of Phantom Menace is still the best duel they've ever had.

If you could put the lightsaber fights/visuals, force powers, and some of the CGI with the feel and story of the originals then it would be perfect.

I agree. It's almost sterile.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by muffinduck01
Star Wars is koo.

KOTOR 1 does, that twist blew me out of the water.

KOTOR 2 had a shit story. It felt like they had something going....then rushed and threw it all together.

Also, the second one made it so much easier to be dark side in my opinion. The denizens of the galaxy were all just little shits in that one. You wanted to kill them. In the first I felt compelled to help everyone.
Quote by Geldin
That said, the lightsaber battle at the end of Phantom Menace is still the best duel they've ever had.

I have mixed feelings with the fancy lightsaber choreography in the prequels. I always liked how Luke defeated Vader by overwhelming him with hacking and slashing
Quote by UntilISleep
KOTOR 2 had a shit story. It felt like they had something going....then rushed and threw it all together.

They actually did just that. They had to release before it was finished (there was an entire planet not put into the game) that made it so some parts of it were great and the rest was awful.
Quote by Redsectoreh
I have mixed feelings with the fancy lightsaber choreography in the prequels. I always liked how Luke defeated Vader by overwhelming him with hacking and slashing

Generally speaking, I preferred the duels in the originals, but the duel in Phantom Menace is so incredibly graceful and articulate (that's an incredibly douchey word to use, but it fits the duel so well, IMO), which completely blew me away when I first saw it. Compare that to the duels in ESB and RotJ and you get a great idea of just what was lost when the Jedi were wiped out - Luke makes do with graceless swings, but in Phantom Menace, we get to see the lightsaber as we were promised by Ben Kenobi's words: an elegant weapon of a more civilized age.
Quote by Rawshik
They actually did just that. They had to release before it was finished (there was an entire planet not put into the game) that made it so some parts of it were great and the rest was awful.

I've heard. I assumed as much to, with there being the areas of the map on Malachor V you couldn't access.
I wasn't a huge fan of I and II, but I thought III was a pretty good movie honestly. II was the worst for me.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Hey, does anyone know how technology works in the Star Wars universe? It almost appears to go backwards but because of there being so many expanded universe stories it's hard to follow.
KOTOR and Shadow of the Empire were terrible, horrible games.

It's all about Pod Racing and Kyle Katarn.
Quote by Geldin

I thinkit would have been expected that the Naboo fighters would be shiny; they're a peaceful planet and the ships were used for parade purposes.

The other fighters (except the newly made clone stuff) and everything else to do with Geonosis and Tattooine should have been much more weathered.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA
Quote by BladeSlinger
It really does. But the KOTOR games rely heavily on things established in the movies. Intertextuality.

Quote by Rawshik
KOTOR, possibly. KOTOR 2? No.
Quote by UntilISleep
KOTOR 1 does, that twist blew me out of the water.

Also, the second one made it so much easier to be dark side in my opinion. The denizens of the galaxy were all just little shits in that one. You wanted to kill them. In the first I felt compelled to help everyone.

Yeah, I was talking about the first KOTOR. I have yet to play the sequel.

That said, my frame of reference may be broken. I think my parents introduced me to Star Wars too early. I remember watching the movies at a VERY young age (Like 3 or 4) and I don't think I could really comprehend a story like that until I was older. By then though, I had already re-watched the movies so many times that they had lost their impact on me by the time I could fully understand them.......

EDIT:
Quote by CoreysMonster
KOTOR and Shadow of the Empire were terrible, horrible games.

It's all about Pod Racing and Kyle Katarn.

YOU SHUT YOUR WHORE MOUTH!
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Last edited by muffinduck01 at Jun 24, 2013,
Disney shut down Lucas Arts when they bought out Lucasfilm so now there won't be a 1313 game. I kind of thought that looked good.
This is one way in which capitalism discourages innovation as much as it encourages it. >_>

We're getting a new Battlefront game though, which I am looking forward to.
Quote by Rawshik
Hey, does anyone know how technology works in the Star Wars universe? It almost appears to go backwards but because of there being so many expanded universe stories it's hard to follow.

Some civilizations developed advanced technology and that was spread across the galaxy I guess. Seems like technology progresses very slowly past a certain point.

^Like I give a fuck.
Quote by Fat Lard

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
Quote by Rossenrot
Fuckin' NERDS!

Ha ha ha not funny.

The Star Wars movies have the best soundtrack ever.
Far from home
The fear of today
It will be gone
Due to our magic songs

ALL HAIL CELESTIA