I'm doing a bit of home studio production for my band. We've recorded several audio tracks in my main software, Reason Essentials. As Reason does not support pluggins I was wondering if I could transfer the tracks to Cubase AI6 and use some of the pluggins and on-board effects there. I have not used my version of Cubase but maybe 5 minutes so I'm not that familiar with it.

I can re-record everything in Cubase but as I've said, I'm not familiar with Cubase and I would rather not have to take the time to redo everything I've done already.
Quote by W4RP1G
Sometimes I do stuff that isn't particularly useful. Sometimes I watch stupid shit on youtube. Sometimes I masturbate in excess. Sometimes I just do nothing.
If they're recorded in WAV or some other common format, then I don't see what the problem is. You'll want to look for the folder that Reason saves recordings in, then import them into Cubas- hang on, Reason can finally record sound now? That's the real news here.
I don't know if Essentials has it but Reason has this thing called ReWire where you can run other DAW's features within Reason IIRC.
yes use Rewire

IN Cubase create a new track and make is a "Rewire Reason" ( as the plugin or instrument ) and set the input to 3/4 ( set a channel option in the rewire plugin ) reason will then open

then in reason send the track to output in the main mixer to 3/4 and your all done.

you can do this for ALL your channels ( each one give a separate channel 5/6, 7/8 etc) in reason and send them to Cubase.

you can then in Cubase bake them by hit record, OR leave so you can keep editing in reason.
Last edited by T4D at Jun 24, 2013,
You can ReWire Reason into Cubase, or you can render the tracks to stems and then load them into Cubase normally.
ReWire is an unnecessary extra layer of hassle.

If you're in Reason 6, you can use 'Bounce Mixer Channels' to export each track to a separate wav file.

If that option isn't available on your version, you'll need to disable all effects etc on each channel, and then mix down one track at a time to a wav file.
It's a bit dull, but then you can just drag all the files into a Cubase session and get mixing from scratch.
Thanks guys for the suggestions, I'll try things until one works.
Quote by W4RP1G
Sometimes I do stuff that isn't particularly useful. Sometimes I watch stupid shit on youtube. Sometimes I masturbate in excess. Sometimes I just do nothing.
Quote by PRS Fan 97
Thanks guys for the suggestions, I'll try things until one works.

Work backwards through the thread. Kyle's suggestion is the easiest and most straightforward way to get it done.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
so for Kyle's idea, I just need to strip each track down and export it as a WAV file then I can open it in Cubase?
Quote by W4RP1G
I tried using rewire, but for some reason (no pun intended) Reason won't go into rewire mode. I followed the directions online and in the Reason help program but nothing worked.
Quote by W4RP1G
bouncing the tracks is easiest

But for your rewire issues once you add rewire/reason to Cubase your reason should open and if it did, Your already in rewire mode ??

Your outputs are already trying to feed cubase it has to be this way because cubase has all rights over your sound card. to hear reason you have to feed output channels from Reason into the rewire plugin inside cubase.

You do not open reason BEFORE cubase.
I'm not sure what the deal is with my setup. I open Cubase first like it says, then I open Reason. I guess the hardware interface in Reason should say audio slave or something like that but it only says the name of my audio driver.

How do I bounce the tracks to Cubase? I've just gotten an option to bounce tracks with the Essentials 2.0 update so I don't really know how to use it.

Oh and when I have set up everything like it says to do for Rewire, I check Cubase to find the Rewire device selection but it doesn't show up there to select it.
Quote by W4RP1G
Last edited by PRS Fan 97 at Jun 25, 2013,
I would forget about rewire for now. Bounce the tracks out, that should take the .wav stems and put them in a folder somewhere (you'll most likely decide where). Then drag those into Cubase and they should just fall into place. Don't overthink it!
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite