Hey everybody,

I've recently gone into drop-d to play a Tommy Emmanuel piece, and I figured I might as well learn a few others while I'm there, so.. any recommendations?

In particular, the Tommy Emmanuel song is Angelina, so something of that difficulty would be great. Doesn't have to be the same style, and can have lyrics, just looking for any suggestion at all.

Thanks!
Hard Rain and Mr. Tambourine by Dylan are fun to play and sing.
And Fixin' to die is a really fun blues song to play!
What the f is drop d?
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
it's just de-tuning your low E string to D and leaving the rest ADGBE. lots of bands do it. just worked on Shinedown's "what a shame" that's in drop D
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
Quote by stepchildusmc
it's just de-tuning your low E string to D and leaving the rest ADGBE. lots of bands do it. just worked on Shinedown's "what a shame" that's in drop D

Oh ok.. Alternate tuning.. I feel stupid right now xD
There's only one boss I listen to, and that's why I'm unemployed.
Nothing to feel stupid about. Some of us have been riding bikes a little longer, that's all.
need more gear and a lot more talent(courtesytuxs)
I just use a 5 string capo and play in "Drop E. This saves the trouble of retuning, but you have to put a radiator clamp you know where, the sing in the higher key.

Try this with 2 guitars on the Jackson Browne / Eagles tune "Peaceful Easy Feeling". Guitar one plays it straight up in E, guitar 2 plays in "drop E", with a capo on the second fret.
I used to do that sometimes, though my guitar was in D to begin with. I can certainly do it in E though since I can sing way higher than that easily.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
Quote by theogonia777
I used to do that sometimes, though my guitar was in D to begin with. I can certainly do it in E though since I can sing way higher than that easily.
That's a good way to deal with drop D. Tune the guitar to D standard, and slap a 5 string capo on it. That way, all the standard chord shapes still work across all six strings the way they should, and to deal with A & E open shapes, you just fret the E-6 behind the capo.

That's if you remember, which I seldom do.

In any case, the best capo for a six string guitar, is a Kyser 12 string capo. You can notch out the E-6 to use as a 5 string ("drop D") capo, and if you're careful, you can still use it as a regular capo, probably as high as the 7th fret.

Of course Kyser wants you to buy two different capos.

The fact notwithstanding, I've never run across a 12 string that a Kyser 12 string capo would fully clamp all of its 12 strings.
Last edited by Captaincranky at Jun 30, 2013,
It takes every bit of 15 seconds to tune to Drop D lol.
This is the life we must choose.

Quote by Cathbard
I'm surprised that a big arm hasn't appeared out of the amp and slapped you across the face.
Quote by TremontiAddict

What's your point?
Quote by TremontiAddict

It takes every bit of 5 to put on a capo.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.