Page 1 of 2
So, I stopped at Burger King last night and picked up a poutine. As I'm paying for it, the cashier hits the "TIP" button on the debit machine, and I get prompted to enter in an amount of percentage to tip. I select amount and enter in $0.00 and pay for my shit. When the cashier looks at the receipt, he just kinda gives me this disgusted look. Imagine that dog in the macro who doesn't want to eat broccoli and is like "do not want" and that's what the cashier looked like.

So, I raise an eyebrow at this fool, grab my food and walk out. Personally, I don't think these people deserve tips. Sure, it's fast but that's the point. It's not like it's an actual restaurant where the chefs have to prepare my food and the employees/waiters/waitresses are actually serving me.

The BK kid was just taking my order and giving me my food which was probably sitting under a heat lamp or in a microwave.

On the other hand, I feel like I should tip at places like Subway and Mr. Sub.

Do you tip at fast food joints?
Like podcasts? Listen to these!
BEER!
VIDEO GAMES!
MOVIES/GEEKY SHIT!

Last edited by zappp : Today at 4:20 PM. Reason: Suck on my balls, UG
Nope. It's not necessary.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
As someone who works at a Domino's, I give people weird looks when they do tip.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
What? I've never heard of tipping at a fast foot place.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
wtf no. I hate obligatory tipping in the first place, but I definitely won't do it at a fast food place.
Never heard of that. Why tip them? The reason you tip waiters and waitresses is because they do shit for you personally and they generally make below minimum wage and treat you with extra kindness. None of those are true for fast food.
Quote by Sliide90027
But as a bigoted lemming, you have so cry an Alinslyite slur revealing you lack of reason and sense.

Quote by MusicLord16
BOB 1. ur 20 and two u like evil things and idk if u worship the devil
People tip at fast food restaurants? This is the first I'm hearing of it
Quote by robertsanidiot
Jesus died for their sins. It would be a waste if they just didn't sin it up. If you ask me, it's almost unchristian if you DON'T eat the kiddies.
Quote by StewieSwan
Hahaha you short fuck
Quote by due 07
LOL manlet
I would never tip at a fast food restaurant. Sometimes I say "keep the change" but I don't tip cuz they make minimum wage. The reason why you tip waiters at restaurants is because they don't make minimum wage.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
i dont tip at fast food restaurants cept this carls jr near my school where they bring you the food and are generally nice i feel that t hey dont have to do this and they are giong beyond what they have to do and the service is excellent so ill often leave a tip
**** no. He was seriously expecting to be tipped for punching your order into the register? What the hell is going on in fast food places in Canada?

Here we don't even get the option to tip people who work in fast food. I mean I guess you could slip them a fiver over the counter, but unless you go to a legit restaurant and are waited upon you don't have to tip anyone here.
No that's just weird. Though I tell them to keep the change if it's not a lot of change and they were nice to me.
cat
Tip is NEVER mandatory. EVER. Tips are for when your waiter/server/whatever does a very good job and you think "Man, that dude was great. I feel like giving him an extra couple bucks because of that". Even if he was great and you don't give a tip, he shouldn't be mad. He's still getting paid to be there. If it's not enough for him, maybe he should find another job and stop bitching.

**** I hate tipping culture. I'm in Canada if that matters.
Quote by MetalGS3SE
This is the best idea I have ever heard. Ever.

Naedauuf for president people.

Quote by naedauuf
Tip is NEVER mandatory. EVER. Tips are for when your waiter/server/whatever does a very good job and you think "Man, that dude was great. I feel like giving him an extra couple bucks because of that". Even if he was great and you don't give a tip, he shouldn't be mad. He's still getting paid to be there. If it's not enough for him, maybe he should find another job and stop bitching.

**** I hate tipping culture. I'm in Canada if that matters.

lol
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
I sometimes get tips at the bakery I work at. It's weird, but if people wanna give me money, so be it. I get paid a fair amount per hour any way.
The only time I tip for fast food is when someone delivers it to my door, otherwise it's silly. the dude in the OP is far less entitled by moral right to ask for a tip than a begger is to solicit money, and begging is banned in lots of places.
Maybe he gave you a weird look because you had a booger hanging out of your nose.
E-married to ilikepirates

Quote by bloodtrocuted93

How are you so fucking awesome at music?

>¦<
¦
I'm like the best tipper (who isn't rich) ever!

But I've never heard of tipping at a fast food place.

I've also never heard of getting poutine at burger king.

But I've never heard of getting poutine anywhere in the US despite living in the one place in the US where cheese curds are readily available.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
I've never heard of tipping fast food except at Sonic. And the only reason for tipping at Sonic is because of their weird waitress/rollerskate thing which doesn't even really exist anymore. I still will let them keep the change there though. Definitely not anywhere else.
For how can I give the King his place of worth above all else
when I spend my time striving to place the crown upon myself?
I put money in the tip jar when I go to neighborhood joints. Not chain fast food, but the local pizza, Chinese, Mexican, and Italian places. They remember, trust me.
Hell naw. I think it's ridiculous for fast food places to even have a tip option. Like how subway has a tip jar. Wtf. You put some nastyass-been sitting out all day-was shit when it got to your store-processed as ****-fakeass ingredients on a damn bread. I can make a better sandwich at home if I wanted. Half the people in subway are rude as shit, and I can't tell with the other half because the only words in English that they know are "Hello, what kinda bread, you like-a cheese?, toasted?, mayo mustard?, lettuce tomato?, oil-a pepper a salt a vinegar?" I never tip at coffee places either.
i used to work at bk and no, they dont expect to get tipped. if you go online and fill out a thing with the workers name and store they give them like 20 bucks cash from the drawer. i had a couple i mean i filled out some of them but people also gave me cash and shit. lol
press ctrl + w
Quote by TheChaz
Hell naw. I think it's ridiculous for fast food places to even have a tip option. Like how subway has a tip jar. Wtf. You put some nastyass-been sitting out all day-was shit when it got to your store-processed as ****-fakeass ingredients on a damn bread. I can make a better sandwich at home if I wanted. Half the people in subway are rude as shit, and I can't tell with the other half because the only words in English that they know are "Hello, what kinda bread, you like-a cheese?, toasted?, mayo mustard?, lettuce tomato?, oil-a pepper a salt a vinegar?" I never tip at coffee places either.

See that's funny because at my subway, it's the opposite. I'm usually standing there trying to interpret finger pointing and hand gestures from customers who can't speak English.

Ingredients are usually just as good as anything you get at the grocery store. Stuff usually does not sit out, we are constantly cutting fresh vegetables in the back. Although Subways are all run differently, some are definitely as bad as you say.

Rude employees I can't help you out there, some people I work with are assholes.

I don't expect people to tip, but going home with an extra 2 or 3 bucks is nice.
Last edited by iwannabesedated at Jun 24, 2013,
I very rarely tip at all, but then again, a few years ago a loophole was closed that allowed restaurants to 'top up' waiting staff's wages with tips to minimum wage (so the staff may be paid a basic of, say, £3.75 an hour, and then tips would be used to bring that up to minimum wage). It was a horrible practice, and waiting staff didn't always see the tips above that minimum wage threshold. But there are other professions that work like that- my old workplace, for example, paid me below minimum wage, and then made it up to minimum wage using my commission earnings. Most months, I would only see minimum wage (the commission structure itself was appalling), earning the same amount as my sales staff when I was an assistant manager (with more responsibilities). So we were effectively being 'paid from the tip jar.' And it happens in a lot of sales jobs. So if you're in the UK and you tip waiters, consider tipping sales staff if they do a good job. In fact, you should be tipping sales staff more often, as the above loophole closure doesn't apply to sales staff and commission sales.
I work at KFC and I've been tipped a couple times in six months. I certainly don't expect it but it makes me feel good as a gesture, even if it is just a dollar.
The key is to go to the bigger and busier Subways. These restaurants cycle through their produce faster, so their ingredients don't taste and look like they've been sitting out for a week. Also, the managers at the bigger Subways usually care about climbing the corporate ladder, so they do their best to make the restaurant pleasant. And finally, the larger Subways can actually afford to hire enough people to run the place.

I worked at one of the shittier Subways for a few months. I quit because it was just a terrible place to work. The manager was a single mother who brought her kids to work. Everytime her little bastards would stir-up shit she would take it out on the employees and the customers. And, I mean, I can't blame these kids for acting out when they're forced to sit there for hours doing nothing.

There was one time the the cucumbers turned translucent from sitting out for so long. And since they were so disgusting, no one was ordering them, so they just sat there even longer and became more disgusting. I asked the manager if we could throw them away and she just looked at me like I was retarded. The only reason why we got rid of them is because I was alone, so I threw them out and cut some fresh ones.

The way the manager had the schedule set up was retarded as well. In the mornings (when the manager worked) there would be about 6 people, and shit would get done. After 1pm, there would only be 2 people, and after 5pm (right at the dinner rush) there would only be one person. In my last few weeks I had to work the closing shift every dam time. It's just awful when you have a line up to the door, you're out of half the ingredients because the morning guys just didn't have the time, and you have to deal with customers who are (rightly so) pissed off.

I'm so glad that I work in a kitchen now. Minimum wage plus tips, decent management, lots of people to share the work and talk to when it's slow.
^ I've been to the subway on Market Street in San Francisco several times. Was still nasty. Actually, probably one of the worst.
lol tipping. the only place i'll tip is semi-fancy restaurants if they give good service.
Quote by Trowzaa
lol tipping. the only place i'll tip is semi-fancy restaurants if they give good service.

Having lived with many servers, and having had many friends who were servers, **** you. Good service is good service, and that's how most servers survive.

It might be that the reason tips exist is because restaurants are too goddam cheap to pay their servers properly, but the fact remains that they rely on tips.
I don't tip and when I've never expected to get tipped.

except when that one dickhead literally won 800k where I was working, celebrated by ordering like 5 jugs of beer and didn't tip his trusty bartender
It's over simplified, So what!

Quote by eGraham
I'm going to be on top of what is called a knob
Quote by theguitarist
Big ones can be fun in some ways but generally, they are a pain in the ass.
Quote by Wolfinator-x
I don't know what is going on in this thread or why I have an erection.
Quote by progdude93
Having lived with many servers, and having had many friends who were servers, **** you. Good service is good service, and that's how most servers survive.

It might be that the reason tips exist is because restaurants are too goddam cheap to pay their servers properly, but the fact remains that they rely on tips.

hahaha waaaahhhhhhhh
i only tip in places where it's obvious the employee is making under min. wage, ie table service where the service staff don't mix-and-match roles with the BOH guys.

$2.13 is really skimp and i've never had service that was so bad it didn't warrant me throwing a fiver down on a split check.
modes are a social construct
I tip at restaurants if the service is good. And I tip delivery guys more often than not.

I hate tipping culture and I've argued when they've put my tip in the bill before. I pay what's on the ****ing menu and not a penny more unless the person is nice and doesn't bother me too much. It's robbery. I hate it when waiters come up to you every 5 minutes asking you how the food is, I've come to eat with my family, not you.

I really don't get how everyone is so complicit with all the needless and wrongful tipping that I hear about in the States. If people look at you like they expect it then that would piss me off.

In my eyes a tip is a reward for doing a good job, not an extra entitlement. If people were earning under minimum wage I may have a slightly different view but they don't here and if they'd still need to have done a decent job.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 24, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
I tip at restaurants if the service is good. And I tip delivery guys more often than not.

I hate tipping culture and I've argued when they've put my tip in the bill before. I pay what's on the ****ing menu and not a penny more unless the person is nice and doesn't bother me too much. It's robbery. I hate it when waiters come up to you every 5 minutes asking you how the food is, I've come to eat with my family, not you.

I really don't get how everyone is so complicit with all the needless and wrongful tipping that I hear about in the States. If people look at you like they expect it then that would piss me off.

In my eyes a tip is a reward for doing a good job, not an extra entitlement. If people were earning under minimum wage I may have a slightly different view but they don't here and if they'd still need to have done a decent job.

god, you should see some of the people who yelp and food blog over here. if the waiter doesn't refill them under 40% water they refuse to tip and/or write a scathing review a lot of the time. it's a real shame the sense of entitlement people are allowed over someone's paycheck.

i mean, waiters are essentially salespeople, but they don't need to work on (essentially) pure commission. they're not selling cars - 10-20% of what they sell will usually only level out about minimum wage anyway. if you're a great server, you can do really well, and i get that more heads = more hours = more tips so it encourages the staff to have a good morale to turn up people and all that, but idk. it's a flawed system in this day and age that relies very heavily on luck.
modes are a social construct
Yea. People should first and foremost be paid a decent living wage. It's criminal that they aren't.

I don’t feel like I have any entitlement at all. I will just tip if the person did a good job and didn't bother me too much. I'm not a difficult customer, I may only call you over once and I don't expect you to come and ask me if I want a refill, I'll wait till I catch your eye. When returning to a familiar restaurant I've even politely said to waiters who do pester you a little that I'll call you if I need you.

Really I just want to be left alone.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Page 1 of 2