My headstock snapped after dropping it. It's a 2002 Les Paul Special.

Here's an idea of what it looks like. Doesn't seem too bad.

I've been told from numerous different people...

1. Fix it myself with wood glue and clamps.
2. Take it to a shop and spend ~200 dollars.
3. Get a new neck. (it's a bound neck, though.)

Would it be easy for me to fix this? Would it hold? Or be different if I took it to a shop?

I'd wood glue it, and leave it clamped for 3-5 days. Maybe more.
I bought an Ibanez RG that had it's headstock completely snapped off. I used Elmers wood glue and just clamped it for like an hour, and it was good as new.

You don't need to leeave it clamped for 3-5 days, that's absolutely ridiculous. A few hours is more than fine.

And yeah, do not pay $200 for a job like that if you feel like you're up to it. Just give it a good eyeballing first, make sure everything is lined up. Common sense stuff.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I bought an Ibanez RG that had it's headstock completely snapped off. I used Elmers wood glue and just clamped it for like an hour, and it was good as new.

You don't need to leeave it clamped for 3-5 days, that's absolutely ridiculous. A few hours is more than fine.

And yeah, do not pay $200 for a job like that if you feel like you're up to it. Just give it a good eyeballing first, make sure everything is lined up. Common sense stuff.

Yeah, seems it'd be easy considering it's not even all the way off. I just have to make sure to get the glue in it good.

I might give it a go. I'm just a bit scared of messing something up.

And I'd most likely leave it for two days. Just to be safe and let it sit. I'm not in a hurry.
Last edited by Acrilyc at Jun 24, 2013,
Arghhhhh!

Don't do that to me, man.

I'd bring it in unless you're really confident about it.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Just use rubber bands, some chewing gum, and some soda residue. That'll hold it fine.

On a more serious note, this is a really (really!) common problem with Les Pauls, so you can probably find a decent tutorial on Google or even YouTube on how to go about fixing it if you're unfamiliar with woodwork.

Good luck!
Quote by ExDementia
Just use rubber bands, some chewing gum, and some soda residue. That'll hold it fine.

On a more serious note, this is a really (really!) common problem with Les Pauls, so you can probably find a decent tutorial on Google or even YouTube on how to go about fixing it if you're unfamiliar with woodwork.

Good luck!

I found a guide! Seems simple enough, really.

Thanks!
I've fixed Epi headstocks a handful of times using Elmers wood filler. It's thicker than glue and will made the headstock feel more solid and transfer the vibrations better without breaking down.

The important thing is to have good clamps. Budget clamps will botch this job in a quick and hurry.
I'd try it yourself. That's not a terrible break or anything and most of the pieces seem to be there.

Like previous posters have said, get yourself some wood glue, get some nice clamps and have at it.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
I disagree that leaving it for a few hours will be enough. I would leave it fully clamped for at least 24 hours minimum before I put tension on it again. It's not a hard job to do, but it gets better with practice and is a little messy the first time. You have a pretty clean, solid break though so it won't be too hard.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Are you going to reply with a load of emoticons every time you post?

Just so i know whether to shoot myself now or later.

Just checking, are you Toppscore?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

It's totally doable, dude. wood clamps and gluewill work, and I hear that afterwards, your neck will be stronger at that point than before.

I've had similar happen before with the wood splitting along the grain, on a collision course with the Low E tuner. terrifying, but wood and glue fixed it right up
i'd do it myself as well.

that's a pretty clean break.

titebond wood glue, clamp very tight, wipe off any excess, wait 24 hours minimum.
Quote by Mephaphil
Arghhhhh!

Don't do that to me, man.

I'd bring it in unless you're really confident about it.

I missed your post earlier!

And, I feel confident enough. Plus I don't really have the money and I'd rather do it now than let the neck sit and possibly warp.

Quote by JustRooster
I've fixed Epi headstocks a handful of times using Elmers wood filler. It's thicker than glue and will made the headstock feel more solid and transfer the vibrations better without breaking down.

The important thing is to have good clamps. Budget clamps will botch this job in a quick and hurry.

I'll try to get some good clams! I'll use two or three,

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
I'd try it yourself. That's not a terrible break or anything and most of the pieces seem to be there.

Yeah, when it broke, nothing came off or chipped off. It's a very clean break and I'm thankful for that. Lol

Quote by Eppicurt
I disagree that leaving it for a few hours will be enough. I would leave it fully clamped for at least 24 hours minimum before I put tension on it again. It's not a hard job to do, but it gets better with practice and is a little messy the first time. You have a pretty clean, solid break though so it won't be too hard.

I'll leave it for about two days. It's my favorite guitar and I'm going to be patient. And once It's done I'll get a razor and clean the glue coming from the cracks off.

Quote by Mephaphil
Are you going to reply with a load of emoticons every time you post?

Just so i know whether to shoot myself now or later.

Just checking, are you Toppscore?

What?

Quote by kaneorsomething
I think it's a bot, to be honest.

Are you saying that I'm a bot or did I miss something?

Quote by maXterbat0r
It's totally doable, dude. wood clamps and gluewill work, and I hear that afterwards, your neck will be stronger at that point than before.

I've heard that too.

Quote by gregs1020
i'd do it myself as well.

that's a pretty clean break.

titebond wood glue, clamp very tight, wipe off any excess, wait 24 hours minimum.

You got it! I'll do it tonight and I might post again with the finished product.
You missed something, there was a guy posting random emoticons with garbage text in a bunch of threads. Seems to have been taken care of.
yep
Quote by kaneorsomething
You missed something, there was a guy posting random emoticons with garbage text in a bunch of threads. Seems to have been taken care of.

Alright, thanks for clearing that up, lol.
Don't wait for the excess glue to harden, remove it as soon as you clamp and it extrudes. There's exactly zero benefit in leaving glue lines on the outside of the break and it makes for a crappy looking repair.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
if it was mine i'd probably wait more like 36-48 hours before taking the clamps off.

be careful so you don't glue the truss rod or nut. not sure if anyone said that.

good luck.
Quote by Arby911
Don't wait for the excess glue to harden, remove it as soon as you clamp and it extrudes. There's exactly zero benefit in leaving glue lines on the outside of the break and it makes for a crappy looking repair.

Yeah, I'll wipe it off with a wet towel when the glue seeps out. But if there's any left I'll use a razor.

Quote by gregs1020
if it was mine i'd probably wait more like 36-48 hours before taking the clamps off.

be careful so you don't glue the truss rod or nut. not sure if anyone said that.

good luck.

Yep! Most likely I'll be waiting that long.

It's actually not open to the truss rod. It's a good break, for it to be a break. haha.

Thanks!
I would advise using Tite-bond wood glue not elmers wood glue. Original Titebond is what I use and I have never had a problem with delaminating.

Get some good clamps, I have some of the Irwin quick clamps that have 100lbs closing pressure. They also have rubber feet which helps not mar the rest of the guitar.

Make sure you get glue all the way in the crack. Use a syringe if you need to.

Leave it clamped for at least 24 hours
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by Robbgnarly
I would advise using Tite-bond wood glue not elmers wood glue. Original Titebond is what I use and I have never had a problem with delaminating.

Get some good clamps, I have some of the Irwin quick clamps that have 100lbs closing pressure. They also have rubber feet which helps not mar the rest of the guitar.

Make sure you get glue all the way in the crack. Use a syringe if you need to.

Leave it clamped for at least 24 hours

I think I may just use wood glue but I'll look into the Titebond stuff.
Quote by Acrilyc
I think I may just use wood glue but I'll look into the Titebond stuff.

Woodworkers argue about glue like guitarists argue about...well....everything...

Either will work fine as long as it's applied properly. Good luck.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
rubber feet on the clamps could mess with the nitro finish if that's a concern.

granted, you'll be sanding some around the join after it all dries anyway but a well placed rag between the rubber and finish wouldn't hurt anything.
Quote by Arby911
Woodworkers argue about glue like guitarists argue about...well....everything...

Either will work fine as long as it's applied properly. Good luck.

I'm sure either will work fine. haha
I've just noticed most people say wood glue

Quote by gregs1020
rubber feet on the clamps could mess with the nitro finish if that's a concern.

granted, you'll be sanding some around the join after it all dries anyway but a well placed rag between the rubber and finish wouldn't hurt anything.

I'll probably put a towel or fold small strips of paper towels and clamp onto them. Just to be safe haha
The process has started! I used Titebond wood glue!

I'll leave it for two days.

I used C clamps to adjust the tension. Two of them.

Then for extra tension I used my planet waves capo on one side, squeezed more glue out.

Should work. I've got a clamp on the right side, middle, and left side. (capo.)
Good man, and good luck with it.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Quote by Eppicurt
Good man, and good luck with it.

Thanks!

I'll post another thread once it's done.

Would anyone suggest that I get it set up once it's done? Or should I put a pair of strings on it then see how it does and get it set up if I think it needs it? lol
You'll be fine.

This is the Ibanez I mentioned earlier.

I am completely serious, I used Elmer's wood glue and rubber bands, and left it for a couple hours, tops. That was over a year ago. Plays perfectly fine.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X