I want to use a preamp/signal boost/clean boost to get more gain out of my amp (Laney CUB12R), for metal and modern instrumental rock and stuff. Not like, too much more, because that sounds bad, but a little more, y'knoww...

Does using a clean boost (or even a phono preamp) work for getting a little extra gain while retaining the yummy tube sounds?
And what do you think of the sound and response (compared to a Tube Screamer or copy)?

Context:
Basically I'm an unemployed teenager who can't afford a Tube Screamer and doesn't really want to fork out a hundred bucks for a cheap copy. Also I'm a bit of an experimenter and minimalist, and hate messing around with cables and pedals and stuff.
So I'm thinking of slapping together a little preamp circuit to help get some more gain out of my amp. The final concept involves putting this into my guitar with a bypass switch so that I don't have to muck about setting up cables and pedals - just plug and play.
I'm not asking for advice or feedback on the idea or construction (I'll ask for that on GB&C later). I just want to know if it works.
If you're looking to avoid a cheap TS copy (and decent ones can be had for cheap), you can try an EQ pedal in the loop and have it boost what ever frequencies you prefer or even just raise them up a bit flat across the board. I have an old MXR 6 band (10 is preferred), and I just barely up the mids on it and that by itself makes for a pretty substantial boost.
Thanks for the suggestion! When I have money I'll definitely look into it, but right now that just means I'd need to buy an EQ pedal.

I'm thinking more along the lines of something like an MXR Micro Amp Boost (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AtG2BimR4BE) on a low setting into the amp on full gain - just to help crank the distortion into metal territory.
Essentially this sort of thing work for pushing the gain that extra bit?
perhaps. it depends how saturated your amp is already. if you amp is dead clean its going to function more like a volume boost. if your amp is breaking up its going to make it crunchy, if its distorted its going to saturate it.

its going to add about 2 notches to whatever you are on. remember, its not "clipping" per say. its a natural signal boost and its making the AMP clip via natural tube circutry.

so its highly denednad on your setup. even the pickups in your guitar.

but as a general rule, yes. using a booster to give you that "it goes to 11" sound works quite well.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Carvin V3M, Avatar 2x12 WGS Reaper, vet 30
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
ikey_ - that's exactly the answer I was hoping for

The amp is fairly saturated as is, I just want something to give it that extra push, and needed confirmation that what I'm going to is going to work.

Okay now to work out how to close this thread, if I can..
Buy a nice EQ pedal with a output volume control. MXR 10 band if you can afford it, Danelectro Fish & Chips if you can't.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
the micro amp is great, but the best clean boost imo is one called "The Bomb". Not sure who makes it. The Keeley Katana is excellent, but on the high end
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
if you're after heavier tones, personally i'd rather use a ts-style overdrive (or even a transparent, timmy-style od). In my experience, clean boosts can be *too* transparent, you really need to be able to cut the bass a bit IMO. the extra compression and dirt from an OD don't hurt, either.

bad monkey is a good ts-alike on the cheap. or joyo etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
if you're after heavier tones, personally i'd rather use a ts-style overdrive (or even a transparent, timmy-style od). In my experience, clean boosts can be *too* transparent, you really need to be able to cut the bass a bit IMO. the extra compression and dirt from an OD don't hurt, either.

I agree with this. Which is another reason why an equalizer with a volume slider is also a good option. There is a reason why most people use either option.

If you're worried about your budget, the Danelectro Fish and Chips is just about the cheapest option. It's a pretty good pedal if you can get past it's plastic construction.
yeah i mean clean boosts have their place too (for the cork transparent tgp brigade nah but seriously for more vintage type tones, I can understand them), but for the more modern stuff i'd rather use an od as a boost. even an eq, as you said, has more control normally. some clean boosts have treble and bass controls and i guess they're an option too. but most clean boosts are just a volume knob...

EDIT: reading the actual thread I'm guessing it'd be easier to build a clean boost into your guitar than anything fancier. but as i said, i'd rather use an od, so...
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 24, 2013,
there are a bunch of clean boosts. some have EQs built in, some are FET, JFET boosters, give thier own character. some that are just striaght preamp line boosters like the MXR, may not add much character.
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
(crybaby, Fairfield circuitry Comp, GFS tuner, Vick Audio 73 Ram's Head, Xotic AC booster, lovepedal trem, TC Flashback, PGS Trinity Reverb, Walrus Audio Aetos power)
im sure there are a lot of boosters with "bomb" in the the name, but if you are refering to rude bomb by flickenger, then yes, its a great box. 100% hand made and painted. and by that, i mean a dude is literally in his house hand solidering wires. no PCB, nothin.

ive played these pedals, thier hometown is raleigh NC. they really are "boutique" in the purest sense of the word.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=njuBAeLt5-U
Carvin CT624
Walden G630ce Acoustic
Quote by Dave_Mc

I use all three.
Horses for courses.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
^ yep agreed

Quote by ikey_
there are a bunch of clean boosts. some have EQs built in, some are FET, JFET boosters, give thier own character. some that are just striaght preamp line boosters like the MXR, may not add much character.

oh yeah, of course. it's just that the more "usual" clean boosts are normally pretty simple.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?