Page 1 of 2
I have the worst luck. Long winded story below...

So ever since I've started playing I've lusted over a Jackson SLSMG. Mostly because I could never afford a USA model and the SLSMG has all the features I could ever want. Mahogany body and neck, neck thru construction, ebony fretboard, you get the idea. Everyone has that guitar. Anywhoo, being that they are no longer made I've had to search online. Luckily I found one used online at $400 with active EMGs. The pics looked good I sprung on it and bought it.

When I finally got it it had the worst fret buzz ever. I made adjustments to it for about a week then finally gave up and took it to a highly respected luthier in my area. After a few days he called me to inform me my guitar was defective and should have never left the factory. Turns out, the neck angle is too high. I was crushed, as you can imagine.

I bought the guitar from a small chain shop called Music go rounds online website. Being that they have a local branch around me and they've been good to me in the past, I trusted it. The chain has a return policy of 48 hours, I got the guitar 2 weeks ago. I suppose by normal standards this would make me up the creek without a paddle so to speak...I've emailed and called but I haven't been able to get the manager. I'll be calling them today, but I expect them to do nothing. My local branch won't help me out due to them being individually owned.

The guitar is basically unplayable. The action is like an acoustic guitar and I still have terrible buzz. I can't just craigslist this guitar in good conscience and let some other musician be trapped in the same situation as me. I've thought about selling it to my local music go round branch and taking the hit on the price but thats my last resort. Any suggestions as to what to do with it?

I know some folks will berate me for buying a guitar sight unseen but when theres a guitar you've wanted forever and its impossible to play it without driving 1000 miles...you gotta do what you gotta do. I found another SLSMG at a guitar center a ways away from me. I've already ordered it. I just couldn't help it. I need that guitar. At least guitar center has a real return policy and people on hand to check the guitar out for you.

Sorry for the story. I had to vent...But seriously....Do I have any options besides losing half my money by selling it to a shop?
i play drums and guitar :
buy a new neck and replace the old one
Jackson DK2FS
Fernandes FR-65

Morley pro series pedal
BBE two time Delay
Empress Nebulus
Subdecay Quantum Quasar
Solid Gold FX Nitro

Blackstar HT stage 100
Marshal 1922 2x12 (V-30, Greenback)
Quote by Heideck
buy a new neck and replace the old one

Its neck thru
If the neck angle is too high can't you shave out part of the pocket under it? Or shim it? Or something? I've definitely heard of these things having fixes but I'm not really experienced when it comes to instrument maintenance; I get other people to do it for me. For money.

Edit:

Quote by bluehawk15620
Its neck thru

Oh... well this is a lesson learned then: ALWAYS play a guitar first.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
If the neck angle is too high can't you shave out part of the pocket under it? Or shim it? Or something? I've definitely heard of these things having fixes but I'm not really experienced when it comes to instrument maintenance; I get other people to do it for me. For money.

Edit:

Sometimes thats not entirely possible...I and I'm sure there are others who would have a very bland selection of guitars if that was the case. I've ordered another already without playing. At least though with this one, I can return it. I think the lesson learned for me is to not buy something off of someone when you can't return it.
Quote by bluehawk15620
I made adjustments to it for about a week then finally gave up and took it to a highly respected luthier in my area. After a few days he called me to inform me my guitar was defective and should have never left the factory. Turns out, the neck angle is too high.

I know of Music Go Round... They are a national chain, so it's not a "small" organization and they have prices that should keep them in business.

Here are my ideas...

#1. I would try to get something written by the luthier that states exactly what he fond about the defect in workmanship. Then try to get a return filed. Music Go Round might honor that.

#2. If Music Go Round won't honor it, perhaps, with the written assessment from the luthier, the manufacturer will accept the return and replace the guitar? Logn shot, but worth a try before losing money.

#3. This would be the most time consuming on your part, but I've never had this fail... Protest!!! go to your local Music Go Round and picket right outside of their shop on the evenings and on weekends... This is the most effective way to get a business to do what you want. The loss of your single $400 sale is nothing compared to the embarrassment and loss of sales when people see that they knowingly ripped off a customer. You can't tell me they didn't know that guitar played like crap and the neck wasn't set right... It's their business to know. They just didn't care.
PRS SE Santana - Santana III Bass/Treble
ESP LTD EC400vf - Gibson Zebra 496R/500T
AXL Badwater SRO - GFS OW Liverpool, SD Duckbucker, SD JB
Mitchell Acoustic MD100SCE
Peavey Vypyr 100
Quote by RedJamaX
I know of Music Go Round... They are a national chain, so it's not a "small" organization and they have prices that should keep them in business.

Here are my ideas...

#1. I would try to get something written by the luthier that states exactly what he fond about the defect in workmanship. Then try to get a return filed. Music Go Round might honor that.

#2. If Music Go Round won't honor it, perhaps, with the written assessment from the luthier, the manufacturer will accept the return and replace the guitar? Logn shot, but worth a try before losing money.

#3. This would be the most time consuming on your part, but I've never had this fail... Protest!!! go to your local Music Go Round and picket right outside of their shop on the evenings and on weekends... This is the most effective way to get a business to do what you want. The loss of your single $400 sale is nothing compared to the embarrassment and loss of sales when people see that they knowingly ripped off a customer. You can't tell me they didn't know that guitar played like crap and the neck wasn't set right... It's their business to know. They just didn't care.

I was thinking the same thing about your first suggestion. Your 3rd would be good too but like I said, they're individually owned and operated and its not my local shop's fault. I really don't want cause a problem for them considering they have nothing to do with my incident, but I'm considering it haha.

Thanks for the reply
I'm not quite sure what rules apply to your country of residence (are you American?), but it seems their normal refund policy really shouldn't have much to do with this instance. I mean, the whole 48 hours return policy sounds like it pertains to those instances when you take a guitar home, realize you don't like it, and then return it.

In this case they sold you a defective guitar, and like I said I'm not sure about your local legislations, but certainly there must be some consumer laws protecting you here? You paid for a functional guitar, they didn't supply you one. They really shouldn't have any other option except to take it back and give you a refund, or a functional guitar.
REGGIE
Quote by bluehawk15620
I was thinking the same thing about your first suggestion. Your 3rd would be good too but like I said, they're individually owned and operated and its not my local shop's fault. I really don't want cause a problem for them considering they have nothing to do with my incident, but I'm considering it haha.

Thanks for the reply

Why do you give a shit? The chain sold you something defective and they are the local representative.

**** that, go down there and get your money back.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Quote by Mephaphil
Why do you give a shit? The chain sold you something defective and they are the local representative.

**** that, go down there and get your money back.

Thats the nice guy in me. You're 100% right though.
Yea but you aren't personally attacking them, it's business.

Just go down there, be nice about it and tell them everything, all about the Luthier and tell them that they sold you a defective item, something that you couldn't have done yourself which leads to an obvious, audible issue with the guitar that can't be fixed.

If they tell you to take it up with the online dealer ask them to help you, ask for contact numbers, for them to speak to the relevant person and declare that they've seen the problem. Ask if they can take the guitar from you if you agree as you shouldn't have to pay money at all.

They can't say no, they'd have to be real cunts if they did.

Have a look at the The Uniform Commercial Code Article 2. It should give you some information on your rights as a consumer and their obligation to make sure that what they sell is fit for sale.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 24, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
Yea but you aren't personally attacking them, it's business.

Just go down there, be nice about it and tell them everything, all about the Luthier and tell them that they sold you a defective item, something that you couldn't have done yourself which leads to an obvious, audible issue with the guitar that can't be fixed.

If they tell you to take it up with the online dealer ask them to help you, ask for contact numbers, for them to speak to the relevant person and declare that they've seen the problem. Ask if they can take the guitar from you if you agree as you shouldn't have to pay money at all.

They can't say no, they'd have to be real cunts if they did.

Have a look at the The Uniform Commercial Code Article 2. It should give you some information on your rights as a consumer and their obligation to make sure that what they sell is fit for sale.

You're right

I haven't called the original store yet because I just found out about the guitar on Friday and the manager wasn't in until today. They aren't open yet but I will be calling them later today. If they don't do anything about it I'll take the guitar to my local shop tomorrow. In reality the should have to pay for shipping too if they take it back right?

Thanks for the reply man
If it's been less than 30 days, then they certainly can't complain about you returning it. Considering that it's unplayable, they shouldn't be complaining period.
return it to guitar center and say it wasnt the one you ordered (when in fact you keep the one you ordered)

you get the point... basically scam GC
Belief is a beautiful armour but makes for the heaviest sword.
This, children, is why Bolt-On necks are so fantastic. Neck angle bad from the factory? Shim it or Sand it. Don't like the neck at all? Order a new one.
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by bluehawk15620
You're right

I haven't called the original store yet because I just found out about the guitar on Friday and the manager wasn't in until today. They aren't open yet but I will be calling them later today. If they don't do anything about it I'll take the guitar to my local shop tomorrow. In reality the should have to pay for shipping too if they take it back right?

Thanks for the reply man

I live in the UK, but from what I gather they should pay for it all.

That's okay, keep us updated.

Quote by Dempsey68
return it to guitar center and say it wasnt the one you ordered (when in fact you keep the one you ordered)

you get the point... basically scam GC

Yea and then they look at the serial number or notice something and then they call the Police. Please don't do this TS.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by JustRooster
This, children, is why Bolt-On necks are so fantastic. Neck angle bad from the factory? Shim it or Sand it. Don't like the neck at all? Order a new one.

No need to call me a child. I like neck thrus. The sustain kills a bolt on anyday, plus the upper fret access is better. They look classier too. I'm sorry if I believe that a guitar should be playable when I buy it.
What?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I've dealt with MGR before, never had a problem.

FWIW, here is their Internet Return Poiicy:

If the customer is not satisfied with the purchased product(s), for any reason, they must contact the originating Music Go Round® store for return authorization instructions within 48 hours of the receipt of their shipment

The customer is required to pay all return-freight charges, except in the instance of product damage that occurred during shipment.
The refund of the original purchase will be for the amount of the product only. Original shipping charges will not be refunded except in the case of product damage that occurred during shipment.

A refund or exchange will be issued only AFTER the product(s) are received by the originating Music Go Round® store. All returned products MUST contain the original contents of the shipment including packing materials, accessories, manuals and any other related documentation.

All refunds may only be shipped back to the originating Music Go Round® store.

Sorry, no exceptions can be offered

http://www.musicgoround.com/return_policy.aspx

You SHOULD be OK.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Why, yes, I am a lawyer- thanks for asking!

Log off and play yer guitar!

Strap on, tune up, rock out!
if I order a guitar, especially one readily available used everywhere...and it's unplayable when it arrives...

I'd tweak it for an hour and then send it right back. Unless I'm misreading here I fail to see the TS logic.
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
Re: this-

Sometimes thats not entirely possible...I and I'm sure there are others who would have a very bland selection of guitars if that was the case.

I live in a major metropolitan area, and if it were not for long-distance sales via phones or Internet, I wouldn't have most of my electrics.

I DO always take precautions:

1) always buy from a reputable seller with a good return policy. One aspect of this for me is I don't buy from "some dude" on Cragislist, etc., at least, not yet. (Probably never.) Retailers may be pricier, but they're easier to deal with if something goes wrong.

2) always test the guitar ASAP. In some cases, that means I do get to try it out in store- I sometimes have stuff shipped to my FLMS, or to a nearby store within the chain. That way, you're more likely to find whatever flaws there may be within the warranty period.

3) if you can, let a pro check it out. That's one reason I ship to stores when I can- I open the shipping container, then march it over to the tech.
Sturgeon's 2nd Law, a.k.a. Sturgeon's Revelation: “Ninety percent of everything is crap.”

Last edited by dannyalcatraz at Jun 24, 2013,
That's a pretty shitty situation to be in. Its understandable that it isn't always possible to try guitars before one buys them, so it is always a calculated risk. A decent return policy is essential.
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Quote by CustomAxe
if I order a guitar, especially one readily available used everywhere...and it's unplayable when it arrives...

I'd tweak it for an hour and then send it right back. Unless I'm misreading here I fail to see the TS logic.

You obviously misread.

This guitar is no longer produced. I stated that.

I tweaked it for about a week (adjusting the neck, letting it settle). I had figured since the strings were loosened all the way to ship, the neck may have shifted.
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Re: this-

I live in a major metropolitan area, and if it were not for long-distance sales via phones or Internet, I wouldn't have most of my electrics.

I DO always take precautions:

1) always buy from a reputable seller with a good return policy. One aspect of this for me is I don't buy from "some dude" on Cragislist, etc., at least, not yet. (Probably never.) Retailers may be pricier, but they're easier to deal with if something goes wrong.

2) always test the guitar ASAP. In some cases, that means I do get to try it out in store- I sometimes have stuff shipped to my FLMS, or to a nearby store within the chain. That way, you're more likely to find whatever flaws there may be within the warranty period.

3) if you can, let a pro check it out. That's one reason I ship to stores when I can- I open the shipping container, then march it over to the tech.

Funny things is when I had first inquired about the guitar, I had told them I was weary about getting one online and they had assured me the guitar was good to go.

Also, I had actually asked them to ship it to my local store but they wouldn't.

The new one I'm getting through guitar center. I'm not leaving the store unless its perfect.
If you have email documentation of this you're totally safe. If not I'd sue them.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by bluehawk15620
You obviously misread.

This guitar is no longer produced. I stated that.

I tweaked it for about a week (adjusting the neck, letting it settle). I had figured since the strings were loosened all the way to ship, the neck may have shifted.

And you misread where i said 'available everywhere used'. As in, at any given point you can find a dozen of these for sale online at various retailers. There's 4 available at GC and several more on eBay...
Custom guitars, vintage amps, boutique pedals. Blah, blah, blah.
If not I'd sue them.

Phil, are you applying for American citizenship?

Quote by bluehawk15620
No need to call me a child. I like neck thrus. The sustain kills a bolt on anyday, plus the upper fret access is better. They look classier too. I'm sorry if I believe that a guitar should be playable when I buy it.

Firstly, I was talking in general, not to you. My context was very clear.

Secondly, no, you're wrong. I don't have the patience right now to type it all out, but you're dead wrong.

Plus, you bought a "super lightweight" model $400 set neck. Do you really, really want to get into a sustain argument?
OBEY THE MIGHTY SHITKICKER
Quote by dannyalcatraz
Phil, are you applying for American citizenship?

I need British citizenship first!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

I would be (pleasantly) surprised if MGR did anything for you. As to the comments above that 'they should have known', my local MGR's (there are 2) have several hundred guitars on the walls, it's a fantasy to expect that they personally check and inspect each one.

I've generally had very good luck dealing direct with the manufacturer on things like this, since it's obvious that this was a manufacturing defect and should never have left the plant. I'd go that route after MRG shoots you down.

As you've noted, picketing only harms the local store, and they really have no dog in this fight, making it a dick move. (Franchise, each store is individually owned...)
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Quote by Arby911
I would be (pleasantly) surprised if MGR did anything for you. As to the comments above that 'they should have known', my local MGR's (there are 2) have several hundred guitars on the walls, it's a fantasy to expect that they personally check and inspect each one.

It's irrelevant. They should only sell something that's fit for sale. if they do they should refund or replace it.

Imagine if it were an electrical appliance that blew up and set the house on fire. Using your excuse doesn't hold up. They're responsible, end of story.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by JustRooster
Firstly, I was talking in general, not to you. My context was very clear.

Secondly, no, you're wrong. I don't have the patience right now to type it all out, but you're dead wrong.

Plus, you bought a "super lightweight" model $400 set neck. Do you really, really want to get into a sustain argument?

In general? I started this thread. You WERE talking to me. Dick.

they were $1000 new. This guitar, even in its defective state has miles more sustain than my bolt-on jackson. I'm not wrong, asshole.

I don't know what your problem is brah.

You rolled in here calling everyone "children" because we were talking about neck thrus. You offered no help. You simply came to insult and assert yourself as dominant in some way over people who like neck thrus.

I don't come on this site very often because of idiots like you.

Anyways, I talked to them...After much arguing they agreed to refund my money +shipping minus a 10% restocking fee (so they can sell this defective instrument to someone else I'm sure...) as long as I pay to have it shipped back to them and have it shipped by tomorrow. Its still BS but its better than where I was at.

The manager wasn't there and won't be until Wednesday (convenient) so I have to pretty much take this offer and deal with it. I may call back on wednesday to discuss this 10% fee. I don't know. I just want this to be over with so I can make sweet sweet music
Last edited by bluehawk15620 at Jun 24, 2013,
Quote by Mephaphil
It's irrelevant. They should only sell something that's fit for sale. if they do they should refund or replace it.

Imagine if it were an electrical appliance that blew up and set the house on fire. Using your excuse doesn't hold up. They're responsible, end of story.

Caveat Emptor, the buyer exceeded the limitations of the stated return policy. You may be able to press a 'warrant of merchantibility' claim with them or the manufacturer, but I wouldn't bet on it. If it was me arguing against you I would claim that allowing the return period to expire was de facto acceptance of the product as delivered.

No harm was done by the defects in the guitar, your analogy is silly.

Quote by bluehawk15620

they were $1000 new. This guitar, even in its defective state has miles more sustain than my bolt-on jackson. I'm not wrong, asshole.

I don't know what your problem is brah.

You rolled in here calling everyone "children" because we were talking about neck thrus. You offered no help. You simply came to insult and assert yourself as dominant in some way over people who like neck thrus.

I don't come on this site very often because of idiots like you.

Hypersensitive much? It's clear from the context that he wasn't calling YOU PERSONALLY a child, he was using a generalization. Also, neck through construction provides no inherent sustain benefits over bolt-on, your extremely limited anecdotal experience notwithstanding.

Neck through, set neck, bolt on....all can be good (or bad) depending on the materials used, design and quality of manufacture.

Lighten up, you'll live longer.
“Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”
Charles Darwin
Last edited by Arby911 at Jun 24, 2013,
Quote by bluehawk15620

Cool it, he definitely wasn't talking to anyone specific. Are you not familiar with idiomatic English? That's the only reason I could think that he was talking specifically to you. That and I have no idea how you manage to not have daily nervous break downs with skin that thin.

Also: there is no sustain difference between equivalent bolt-on, neck-thru and set neck guitars. If there is a difference it's because of the build quality of the instrument.

Quote by Arby911
Caveat Emptor

Also this.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Last edited by Zaphod_Beeblebr at Jun 24, 2013,
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Cool it, he definitely wasn't talking to anyone specific. Are you not familiar with idiomatic English? That's the only reason I could think that he was talking specifically to you. That and I have no idea how you manage to not have daily nervous break downs with skin that thin.

Also: there is no sustain difference between equivalent bolt-on, neck-thru and set neck guitars. If there is a difference it's because of the build quality of the instrument.

I am familiar with idiomatic english.

He had a condescending "tone" to what he said. I have 3 older brothers. I'm not thin skinned as you say. I just don't like people who crawl into a thread, make a vague attempt at being cool and offer no help. Whether or not he has real life experience in guitar building, Its unnecessary. The fact that he actually does and still came in here just to say bolt-ons are better makes him seem a tad more douchey.

I have a degree in electronics, but I don't walk up to people with broken TVs and tell them all about how mine is better.

I'm not here to start an argument about what neck construction is better. Different luthiers will tell you different things. Shit, its really just preference.
Well my problem that I created this thread for had basically been solved the best way it could....

I have a feeling this is going to get outta hand really fast...so...I'll just concede.

You're right. theres no difference between bolt-ons, set necks, and neck thrus.

I'm an idiot.

I'm a complete and utter fool for standing up for myself on the internet.

I've learned my lesson, please forgive me.

Thanks to the folks that gave me decent advice.
Quote by bluehawk15620

Actually when done properly a bolt-on/thru neck will give the most sustain, Check out the older PRS CE series. But any guitar made properly out of proper materials should sustain just fine. The neck-thru thing is just a myth.

But reguardless I hope you get it taken care of. Like was already said, if they refuse to do anything about it, contact Jackson and see what they say.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
Quote by bluehawk15620
I am familiar with idiomatic english.

He had a condescending "tone" to what he said. I have 3 older brothers. I'm not thin skinned as you say.

Then why react at all?

Quote by Master Foo

Album.
Legion.
Quote by Arby911
Caveat Emptor, the buyer exceeded the limitations of the stated return policy. You may be able to press a 'warrant of merchantibility' claim with them or the manufacturer, but I wouldn't bet on it. If it was me arguing against you I would claim that allowing the return period to expire was de facto acceptance of the product as delivered.

No harm was done by the defects in the guitar, your analogy is silly.

I was making a point about the fact that companies are required by law to make sure that the product they sell is fit for purpose, not that the guitar will blow up.

If they don't they are liable.

Caveat Emptor is stupid. I'm glad we have actual legislation here.
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Page 1 of 2