Hey there,

So I'm probably going to be investing in an epiphone dot, or a 339 (regardless of what I choose..), I was just curious as to how bad feedback is with gain with this guitars.

I need a guitar with humbuckers, it's essential. I was going to go for an Epiphone Les Paul which would suit my rock needs better but for Jazz I don't think it'd be as practical (not sure why, just seems no one uses les pauls in jazz for some reason...?). I know though with es335's people such as Tom Delonge use them and they're fine.

With this humbucker guitar I really need to be able to do jazz, and rock (crunch at the most, not metal). I guess I will be playing Jazz more at the moment but it's all pretty equal.

Anyway, could anyone advise me on where to go, what to do. How the dots handle gain? Is the sustain the same between the two guitars?

Thanks
I think it's somewhat of a myth, or a problem that plagued older models.

High gain like metal tones can cause an issue apparently, but Tom Delonge, Chris Cornell etc all use lots of distortion with no problems.

I went into my local store and played a number of hollow bodies because I was having a conversation with someone about it who told me about it when I was thinking about getting one. I brought my Big Muff and some other pedals and boosted the amp and got some quite heavy tones that caused no issue at all.

Go and have a play in the store. I think it has something to do with Microphonic pickups but they seemed to have fixed that.

I've struggled to get it to feedback but maybe someone who has more experience with them can give some more insight.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 24, 2013,
I played a lot of noisey shoegazey stuff with my old Dot and didn't have problems unless I stood next to the amp.
yep
What are the biggest differences with the dot and les paul in terms of playing rock/jazz?
Theres also the es-335 pro and 339 pro with new pickups, is that worth looking at?
They sound very different. One's a semi hollow and one's not.

The semi hollow will have a warmer, mellower tone. The neck might be smaller or chunkier depending on the model that you're comparing it too. The Dot will be lighter too. They can both be used excellently for rock and jazz.

Ultimately it's down to how you like the tone and feel when you compare them.
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Cheers I'm definitely leaning towards the es335.

I'm also wondering if it's worth going for the es335 pro/es339 pro with the new pickups and coil tapping (I dont need the coil tapping as I already have a couple strats), but are the new humbuckers (Alnico Classic Pro's) better than on the original epiphone dot? I know the Probuckers on the new Les Pauls are definitely better than the older LP Standards.

Finally, apparently the 335 doesnt have much sustain compared to the LP? I'm worried about this since I defnitely would need sustain for leads as strats have such little sustain

Cheers.
Last edited by Alphaform at Jun 24, 2013,