So I'm looking into getting my first head and cab. I need some suggestion for heads, as it's all a bit overwhelming. I currently have a Peavey practice amp, but need a head/cab for band practices and upcoming gigs.

In terms of sound, I want a head that can provide a good clean and distortion tone. I don't need a head with a ridiculous amount of gain, but we do play metal so distortion to an extent is a requirement. My band's facebook is linked in my sig if you want to get an idea of how we sound.

I've been looking around and found the Blackstar ID:60TVP-H. I had a play around with it at my local music store, and I quite liked it, but I don't want to jump into buying it without looking around more. Has anyone had experience with this head, or know any good or bad information about it?

My budget is about £500, so if anyone could suggest any other heads within that price range, or could just give me any advice at all, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance, and sorry for the wall of text.
The Blackstars are great, I've found them to be very Vox-y on the cleans and Marshall-y on the crunch. Do you NEED a head/cab or would a combo be on the table?
Audio Ecstasy Productions!

Guitar/Backline Tech in the Los Angeles area and on tour!
Custom guitar pedals and cabling for stage and studio!

I set up DAWs and tweak computers to record audio. Hit me up @ audioecstasyproductions[at}gmail.com
Look into Jet City, I think they have either a 20w or a 50w head/cab that might be a solid choice for you. I've heard they have a nice clean channel and can get rather gain-y when you need it to.
Fender Strat Deluxe
Fender MexiStrat
Epiphone Sheritan
Ibanez Artcore
Fender Twin Reverb silverface
Roland JC120
Pedals

Quote by CaptainAmerican
I would recommend the marshal MG100

Very versatile and quality sound. It should treat you well
Blackstar doesn't hold a favorable reputation around here, despite whether they are good amps are not. I would recommend that you do your research on them heavily, as they like to throw erroneous marketing around.

I recommend you look around at some Marshall amps, like the JCM2000 DSL401.
Only thing that bothers me about blackstars is that they are usually not very tube amp like, not by tone and sometimes not even by construction. But that could be just the HT series.

But I would recommend you by used. If you could find an used Peavey JSX it would be great, I've sometimes seen those go for 500 bucks, it takes a bit of luck though. Finding an used fender SuperSonic head or a Laney VH100 would guarantee great cleans and good crunch, but I doubt you could find any for 500$. It's still remotely possible.

For new, I second the Jet City. Good amps, good price.
Look at Jet City on www.thomann.de

That blackstar is a SS modeling amp. If your fine with that fine, it is you money. But thomann has the Jet City stuff really cheap and it is good

They have the Jet City JCA100hdm B stock for 369GBP and then look at the Harley Benton G212 Vintage for 169GBP.

That would be a great rig for years to come.
2002 PRS CE22
2013 G&L ASAT Deluxe
2009 Epiphone G-400 (SH-4)
Marshall JCM2000 DSL100
Krank 1980 Jr 20watt
Krank Rev 4x12 (eminence V12)
GFS Greenie/Digitech Bad Monkey
Morley Bad Horsie 2
MXR Smart Gate
There's a lad over on the gear ads selling a Jet City 50w head for about £250 ISH. Then get yourself a Benton 212 Vintage and you'll have an ace set-up, and change from the £500

What's not to love about that?
Quote by Spaztikko
Imagine the part of the ballsack where occasionally old poo sticks to the pubes and hardens, and you then have to pull out, but as an amp. That's an MG.

Greatest quote of all time?

I think so...
^ **** that, you can get the 50 watt jet city head new on thomann for £250 with a 3-year warranty

but agreed, the 50 watt head and the HB G212 vintage is what i'd do. not super-amazing cleans, but reasonable, and killer overdrive channel.

a boost pedal wouldn't hurt, either. maybe pick up a bad monkey on thomann while you're at it.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Thanks for all the replies. I've looked into Jet City heads but I get the impression that the clean tones won't be particularly good. Two other heads that I've been looking at are the Laney IRT60H and the Bugera 333XL Infinium. Both look like good amps, especially the Bugera from the demos and reviews that I've looked at. Anyone have any experience with either of these heads?
Burgera I would avoid like the plague. Do some research and digging into the brand, especially on here. There's loads of problems with their QC and reliability.

The laney isn't that spectacular. I thought the construction was very cheap, the sound wasn't that amazing and everything on the amp just felt flimsy. Granted, I haven't played one with new tubes and better speakers, but the construction alone would put me off.

Why are you hell bent on a head/speaker? There's no real advantage other than having better portability. I'd find a used Peavey 6505/6505+/JSX combo or a Laney GH50L. Much nicer amps than the ones listed.

Also the jet city's are excellent.
Quote by SimplyBen
That's the advantage of being such a distance from Yianni. I can continue to live my life without fear of stumbling upon his dark terror.

Quote by Toppscore
NakedInTheRain aka "Naked with shriveled pencil sized bacon In The Rain"
Last edited by Eppicurt at Jun 25, 2013,
Quote by Eppicurt
Burgera I would avoid like the plague. Do some research and digging into the brand, especially on here. There's loads of problems with their QC and reliability.

The laney isn't that spectacular. I thought the construction was very cheap, the sound wasn't that amazing and everything on the amp just felt flimsy. Granted, I haven't played one with new tubes and better speakers, but the construction alone would put me off.

Why are you hell bent on a head/speaker? There's no real advantage other than having better portability. I'd find a used Peavey 6505/6505+/JSX combo or a Laney GH50L. Much nicer amps than the ones listed.

I'm guess I'm not, it just seems like the best way to go. Are the Peaveys capable of good clean tones, because that is something that I'm looking for, and most reviews for those amps go on about how good the distortion is, but rarely say anything about the clean. I'd rather not have a clean tone that is just acceptable.
Maybe it's just the opinions of the reviews I've read. Are the Jet Citys capable of good clean tones?
The cleans on the Jet City are quite good, with some careful tweaking they are fine at high volumes too, it just takes a while to find a point where the OD and crunch channels are the same volume
I have nothing important to say
Quote by Eppicurt

+1

for cleans i'd say the jet city is better than the laney gh50L, though. the gh does have really nice cleans, but it has to be dialled in for it, and as a single channel amp (with boost) you can't really do that if you want to bring the brootlz at the same time whereas the jet city genuinely is two channel (shared eq, though) so you can dial in clean on the normal channel and brootal on the od channel no problem. the setting on the clean channel doesn't affect the amount of gain available on the od channel, like it does on the Laney GH.

EDIT: the peavey 5150/6505 isn't exactly renowned for nice cleans, lol. Mediocre at best, probably.

Really you're gonna have some compromise here at the budget you're talking about. It just depends on what you're more willing to compromise on. Do you need good cleans so badly that you're willing to have a worse od channel, for example? because that's really what it boils down to. If there were an amp that cost £500 which had killer cleans and killer distortion we'd all own it, lol.

the traynor ycv50b on thomann might be worth a look, though. But it won't get as heavy as the jet city.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 25, 2013,
i've played with ironheart for a few months it is really good for the price, definitely recommend it