Hello to all you G&L guys, and anyone else that might have stopped by..

I have been playing acoustic for a couple of years now, and i have decided to make the jump to electric guitar (as soon as i get my money!!!!)

Still haven't bought my first electric guitar, and lately, my search has been focused on Fender Telecaster's.. But today, I discovered a brand i wasn't familiar with; G&L.

So, G&L ofc has their ASAT series, which is similar to the Telecaster of Fender, and i really wanted to know what you guys think about the Tribute series...

I have a enough money to buy an American Special Telecaster and a Fender Mustang III, and then a small amount to spare, but it is not in your american dollars, so prices are inflated and stuff like that...

But the thing is.. There aren't any G&L dealers in Denmark where i can try the guitars out, and the prices are crazy on the US made ones, which means i couldn't get the USA ASAT classic for the same price of both the american tele and mustang amp... It would actually cost alot more... just for the guitar... So i would have to settle for a Tribute ASAT (either a Bluesboy, classic or special) which would be around the price of a Mexican made Fender guitar...

So... Does the quality of a Tribute ASAT hold up to that of a Mexican Telecaster?

Bear in mind, that i wont even be able to try out any G&L models before buying them, since id have to order them from Thomann.. I can try out the fender models though....

Also, what are peoples opinions on the Tribute models? are they any good? the reviews arent always that good so i hoped the forum people would speak out...

Please tell me about the G&L guitars, the quality difference between them and fender models, also the difference between american made and asian tribute models..

Please help I'd really like to know if it was still worth it to buy one as my first guitar or if i should just stick with an American Special Telecaster

I love simplistic John Mayer electric guitar style playing like the songs "gravity" and "slow dancing in a burning room".. Don't know how else to describe it.. Also classic rock, generally blues.. I guess also Bruce springsteen.. Thats kinda my style

Love and respect!

Marc
G & L Tributes have American pick ups , hardware and wiring , I here they are very nice finish and fit ...... I have some (4) American G & L's and for the money they are hard to beat , Fender custom shop quality at Fenders American Standard prices , still made in Fullerton California on Fender avenue where it all started .... the tributes are final checked in Fullerton before they ship ..... you sure can't go wrong with G & L for the money here in the USA ..... Justrooster is real knowledgeable on all the different tributes , I think he's played them all and can better recomend what model you need , if he don't respond go to the G & L thread ....
Last edited by Fumble fingers at Jun 25, 2013,
i would say the tribute series is a bit better than the average MIM fender.

as fumblefingers says, they use the same elecs and hardware as the USA models and get inspected here prior to going out.

quality guitars for sure.

if you can make it to a USA G&L, it's worth it as well. but the tributes are very nice guitars.
Check this out, I made a thread a while back showing all the models and history of G&L:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1546485

I've owned 3 ASATs and 2 Legacies. Far and away the Tribute series blows MIM Fenders out of the water. If you give me an idea of what kind of necks you like, I can tell you which ASAT you'll probably most agree with. I find that they are actually pretty unique to different models, despite seeming like the same neck.

If you like Les Pauls, the thicker feel of the Carved Top Deluxe and Special Deluxe are really agreeable. If you like that classic Fender rolled edge, the Classic definitely has that on the maple. If you like your fretboards very flat and old-school in feel, the Bluesboy carries that well.

As far as the Legacies, don't expect a Strat copy. They're denser, thicker, and more solid in just about every way. They feel to me more like J-Basses than Strats, which I kinda dug (I started my career off as a Bassist, but don't tell anyone).

If you've got specific questions, Fumble Fingers in that G&L thread is another good source. You can always PM me questions or ask in either thread. Especially if you have a model specific question, I've played just about all of them (Two G&L dealers in my hometown I made good friends with. Nice payoffs).
Quote by JustRooster
Check this out, I made a thread a while back showing all the models and history of G&L:
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1546485

I've owned 3 ASATs and 2 Legacies. Far and away the Tribute series blows MIM Fenders out of the water. If you give me an idea of what kind of necks you like, I can tell you which ASAT you'll probably most agree with. I find that they are actually pretty unique to different models, despite seeming like the same neck.

If you like Les Pauls, the thicker feel of the Carved Top Deluxe and Special Deluxe are really agreeable. If you like that classic Fender rolled edge, the Classic definitely has that on the maple. If you like your fretboards very flat and old-school in feel, the Bluesboy carries that well.

As far as the Legacies, don't expect a Strat copy. They're denser, thicker, and more solid in just about every way. They feel to me more like J-Basses than Strats, which I kinda dug (I started my career off as a Bassist, but don't tell anyone).

If you've got specific questions, Fumble Fingers in that G&L thread is another good source. You can always PM me questions or ask in either thread. Especially if you have a model specific question, I've played just about all of them (Two G&L dealers in my hometown I made good friends with. Nice payoffs).

Thanks man. I'll take you up on that offer I might ask around in the G&L thread (i didn't even know it existed. Nothing came up when i searched for G&L), just to get to know all this stuff :-) Again, thanks alot. I'll check out the thread