Page 1 of 2
Hopefully someone here can relate to my situation and provide an opinion from the outside looking in!

I'm a 23 year old recent college graduate with a bachelor's degree in Psychology. My goal is to attend graduate school and obtain a Masters in education counseling and work as a licensed school counselor. Problem: All the school's I applied to denied my ass entrance into their programs. Solution: I found a job at a local popcorn factory to pay the bills as I try to find a "big boy" job. Something that is relevant to my career goals and has the possibility of helping me fund a Masters degree.

The job at the popcorn factory is driving me to the edge. I've been employed there approximately 6 months, though it's felt like years. I leave at 6 a.m. only to return at 6 p.m. or later, exhausted from the work I've done and it's virtually for peanuts. That means I get paid minimum wage. There's an aura of "We don't give a **** about you" attitude that surrounds the work environment. It's almost offensive. Work conditions suck. One job requires shutting an iron bar which will melt/burn plastic to seal packages. The smoke that comes off that thing makes me nauseous every time. I've told my supervisors about my body's reaction to the burning plastic. Nothing get's done. Some of my co-workers have worked there over 6 years without receiving a legitimate raise. It's mind blowing. I didn't realize how passionate I was about work ethics and equality until I started working there. I worked hard for my B.S. degree and feel as if it's all for naught, that I lose more brain cells and IQ every day. I could go on all night.

The problem is that with the long work hours, I don't have much time to work towards my future career goals. I should be looking for higher quality, better paying, more challenging jobs. And often. But I've only applied to maybe 10 or 15 jobs the last 6 months. Did I mention I live in a town of 700 people? There's no jobs here. Trust me. So what should I do, UG? Stop being a bitch and work around my busy schedule to try and better my life? I do have bills and student loans to pay off... Or am I being irrational in letting this dead-end job run my life and should I put in my 2 weeks notice tomorrow? (I almost do every day, then stop). Help
You have bills and shit, why the **** quit your job..sure you are qualified for something better but you have not found that yet! Sense you have things to pay for its best to KEEP your job and keep looking for a better job...IF you have things to pay for why the **** are you considering quiting your CURRENT job! how the **** do you get a degree with that dumb ass mentality!???
Do you have a better way to pay the bills? If not then don't quit until you have one.

Why aren't you getting accepted to a Masters? Did you have good grades? Did you do a research project? You're not likely to find a good job with just a bachelors in psych.

Can you move to a better town?
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
You have bills and shit, why the **** quit your job..sure you are qualified for something better but you have not found that yet! Sense you have things to pay for its best to KEEP your job and keep looking for a better job...IF you have things to pay for why the **** are you considering quiting your CURRENT job! how the **** do you get a degree with that dumb ass mentality!???

The hell is wrong with you?
@Walt- Although I do have bills and I make minimum wage, I live simply and don't buy things I don't need. I've been able to save up a little bit of money that I can live off of for about 7 or 8 months no problem.

The problem with the job is that it is very emotionally (and physically) draining with low compensation and zero recognition. On top of that, some jobs are making me nauseous to the point of near vomiting or dry heaving.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
dumb ass with a degree yet no more qualified to work at burger king with that mentality!

m8 u wot
Quote by Pleasure2kill
The truth is, Muslims never apologized for their faith having something to do with the attacks on 9/11.
suck it up...adult life is full of that stuff...keep current job, work to find new job. my life in the 20s was full of shit...was in the NAVY at that point, being treated like shit, being yelled at....lack of sleep! got a chick prego which made life worse...hell I got arrested and sent to jail for 6 months!!!! Im not the same person now, but shit...life was rough! things got better! lol!

just told everyone I did time in a jail!
Last edited by WaltTheWerewolf at Jun 25, 2013,
I would quit, work about 2 months on finding a better job and if nothing is moving along, get another shitty minimum wage job.
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by zucky22389
@Walt- Although I do have bills and I make minimum wage, I live simply and don't buy things I don't need. I've been able to save up a little bit of money that I can live off of for about 7 or 8 months no problem.

The problem with the job is that it is very emotionally (and physically) draining with low compensation and zero recognition. On top of that, some jobs are making me nauseous to the point of near vomiting or dry heaving.

Or you could take that money and move somewhere better. Look for a school that you would want to attend. Research the town. After you find someplace that you like, move there
Quote by metal4eva_22
Do you have a better way to pay the bills? If not then don't quit until you have one.

Why aren't you getting accepted to a Masters? Did you have good grades? Did you do a research project? You're not likely to find a good job with just a bachelors in psych.

Can you move to a better town?

A better way to pay the bills? Well, I could move back in with my parents if they let me come back. Rent is a huge chunk of my fees and that would alleviate that. Other than that the only other option would be to get a different local job to pay for 'em.

Masters programs have such an overflow of applicants and are so competitive, I just didn't get in. I graduated from a large University with a 3.5 GPA, participated in 1 full year of research under an Associate Professor studying behavior regulation in male prisoners, volunteered for a campus suicide hotline, etc.

No, I don't think I'd be able to move unless it's back with parents. My current roomates have nearby jobs and will not move.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
suck it up...adult life is full of that stuff...keep current job, work to find new job. my life in the 20s was full of shit...was in the NAVY at that point, being treated like shit, being yelled at....lack of sleep! got a chick prego which made life worse...hell I got arrested and sent to jail for 6 months!!!! Im not the same person now, but shit...life was rough! things got better! lol!

You also just told everyone that you cause all your own problems. It sounds like TS is trying to move forward with his life, you are really just coming off as an asshole.

OT: If there isn't any work where you live I agree, move to an area with a better job market.

Edit: Or look for other local jobs
Last edited by Musicforyou17 at Jun 25, 2013,
Last week because of crazy circumstances, I had a few days off work. During those days off, I was able to research some potential jobs, network with potential employers, and apply for a few jobs in a different state, one of which is at a state university where I could attend graduate school. These were my first few days off in months and I thought to myself, "Damn, if I'm this productive in 2 days off, what would a whole month be like!?"

So yeah it got me thinking....
Quote by Musicforyou17
You also just told everyone that you cause all your own problems. It sounds like TS is trying to move forward with his life, you are really just coming off as an asshole.

OT: If there isn't any work where you live I agree, move to an area with a better job market.

ya but he shouldnt quit his current job first...aint gonna do him good if he is broke from quiting a dead end job! sure, aim for something higher but dont quit the current job ya have.
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf
ya but he shouldnt quit his current job first...aint gonna do him good if he is broke from quiting a dead end job! sure, aim for something higher but dont quit the current job ya have.

Yeah I agree that's definitely the more mature, better option. What if I quit, and nothing relevant comes up in terms of jobs? Then I'm left jobless and my bank account shrinking. I totally get your point and I appreciate the hard-ass attitude. It's the way I was brought up (Thanks, dad!) and let's be honest: It's what I've been doing for the last 5 months. And even though I'm miserable, I'm still doing it.
Alright well since I have to wake up in 5 hours for another day of paradise, I'm off. It's not easy to offend me about this topic considering I got myself into this situation, so to any future posts: Just be honest! Haha, later.
Going through some hard times makes you tougher, just got to stick it out. You have the education but you have to tough it out. Times are tough now, plenty of people with some college skills having to start out in jobs they are overqualified for. It's the shitty way this world has become but you can do it, probably alot better than I have...
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf

You sound upset.

OP, i think you should try to become the poor mans Frasier and set up a pirate radio call in advice line. But you should keep your popcorn factory job until it starts to pay the bills.
Quit, move to the city, get a new job.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
if I can get a job that pays more than minimum wage anyone can... im too stupid to make a creative username...
Yes
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
It sounds like you work at the shittiest place possible right now. Try to get a job even bussing or waiting tables. With tips, you could make more than minimum wage if you go to a good restaurant. That will most likely hold you over a lot better than your current job.
Quote by Nelsean
Yes

Wow, you really did it. So weird seeing your name in black.

TS, use this job as motivation to finish school so you can leave that crappy job and town behind one day, and never look back.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Look for a job and quit when you find the right job. Don't quit if you got no back up plan.
Sincerely,
Shitstirrer
Find another job before you quit. Look on the internet or something. Also, you can always save up enough to move to a big city, and you'll be bound to find some sort of a job.

You could always go on gaijinpot and apply to be an English teacher for public schools in Japan (they also have these kind of programs for just about any country, but presently in Japan there is a national law that all schools must have a native english speaking instructor on staff so yeah, lots of opportunities) They'll take anyone if you buy your own ticket! And generally they pay you quite a bit more than minimum wage, and the job is easy.
Listen. I'm sorry.
Quote by zucky22389

The job at the popcorn factory is driving me to the edge. I've been employed there approximately 6 months, though it's felt like years. I leave at 6 a.m. only to return at 6 p.m. or later, exhausted from the work I've done and it's virtually for peanuts.

He works in a popcorn factory..... for PEANUTS.

What do you get for overtime, corn snacks?
Last edited by SlackerBabbath at Jun 25, 2013,
Get OSHA up in there and sue the bitches. Then you won't need a job.
BOOM-SHAKALAKALAKA-BOOM-SHAKALAKUNGA
Quote by WaltTheWerewolf

If you look emotionally fked up and demotivated it shows in job/school interviews.

Stop projecting your own shit on others.

To TS
I'd say move too another place. Shitty jobs should be able to find.

You also have a BA in psychology. Don't you know how too work empathy in a interview, or assertively be the upper one in a job interview?

Maybe ask the wolf for helping him with his amygdala for money. Shud be challenging and suited to ur degree.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at Jun 25, 2013,
Quote by zucky22389
The job at the popcorn factory is driving me to the edge.

right here

thats where i lost it
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Zoot Allures
You sound upset.

OP, i think you should try to become the poor mans Frasier and set up a pirate radio call in advice line. But you should keep your popcorn factory job until it starts to pay the bills.

holy shit
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I really don't know why people keep studying Psychology. They all end up in the pit asking for advise on how not to go bankrupt and have a shitty life.
Quote by Carmel
I can't believe you are whoring yourself out like that.

ಠ_ಠ
i feel like TS must be posting from a sitcom
Quote by korinaflyingv
Quote by Zoot Allures
You sound upset.

Zooty, you got some splainin to do.
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
zoot, wheres irish
Quote by korinaflyingv
irish was here the other day too actually
There's no such thing; there never was. Where I am going you cannot follow me now.
what the ****
Quote by korinaflyingv
Page 1 of 2