I have played acoustic guitar for a couple of years now and am finally buying my first electric. I need advice on how to try an electric out as I know that the electric and acoustic techniques and feel are very different.
how should it feel? and what not...

I narrowed it down to either a telecaster or a les paul after doing some research on my favourite artists.

On the other hand will I be able to setup the guitar I buy, pretty close to how I would prefer in the future after I figure out what type of feel I like? Obviously things like neck width may not be changed and I understand that.

Cheers
Okay. Great question!

You need to go to a store and find the models that you like and play them. That's the main thing, you need to make sure that it feels comfortable in your hands and that you like playing it. Have a listen and see if you like the sound.

Check for quality control issues; whether the neck is bowed, have a look down the neck to see if it's straight. Make sure the pickups don't crackle, look at the frets and make sure they aren't raised or cracked. If there's a tremolo use it and see how the guitar reacts and whether it comes back to tune or if it goes out of tune. Have a look at the nut and make sure that it isn't raised or cut poorly.

You can even ask them to set the guitar up how you like it. A lot of the time when folk say that a guitar feels like shit to play its because it's not been setup. Yes, you can change a setup at any time to have a low or high action, whatever you want, you just need to learn how.

Make sure you're playing through a decent amp. If they plug you in to a MG don't be surprised when the guitar sounds like shit.

What guitars specifically are you looking at, what's your budget and do you have an amp?
Quote by Shredwizard445
Go ahead and spend your money, I don't care. It won't make you sound better.

Quote by Shredwizard445
Sure upgrading your gear will make you sound better.

Last edited by Mephaphil at Jun 25, 2013,
But isn't the feel between an electric and an acoustic meant to be really different? In which case I haven't really played enough electric guitars or played one for long enough to know my preferred setup or specifications.

Thanks for the quality check tips I wouldn't have thought of a few of those cause they're just not an issue when it comes to acoustic guitars.

An MG?

Ah, a gibson les paul or a fender telecaster? I hope that's what you mean.. So far my budget is between about 1.5 k and 2 k Australian. Yeah, I've got a Peavy Valve King 112.
Best advice with regards to not getting a "bad" guitar would be to take an experienced player with you. You're not really going to have an idea what your preferences are in terms of feel because you haven't been playing long, so just go for something that sounds good and get it vetted by someone impartial who knows their stuff
Yea in that case I'd take someone with you. If not I'd try and tell the shop exactly what you want and get them to set it up for chord work.

If you like the way it looks, feels and plays that's all that matters.

By MG I mean a Marshall MG, or a cheap shitty amp. Have you got an amp?
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Ah okay then thanks guys

Quote by LWMT2343
Yeah, I've got a Peavy Valve King 112.
No worries. Show us pictures when you get it!
Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Shredwizard445

Quote by Bassface7
Best advice with regards to not getting a "bad" guitar would be to take an experienced player with you.

I'd say this, yeah. You won't be able to say for sure that a guitar will be great for you, but it's better than taking a stab in the dark.

Just make sure you at least try out the guitar and it feels comfortable. I'd hate buying something I'm not 100% convinced about and experiencing cognitive dissonance later.