Because a lot of bands only have one good song on an album.

Also, it's usually not the band's decision, but rather the label's.

Also, it's a relic from the olden days of records. They're pretty useless in today's digital age. Another piece of evidence that the record industry is ****ing backwards and refuses to adapt.
B Sides.

(although that's an outdated term too....)
Gibson LP Traditional, LP GT, LP Studio, SG Standard x2
Barber Tone Press > EHX Worm >TC Polytune > MXR Custom Badass 78 > EXH Glove > EHX East River Drive > Zoom G3 > TC Spark Mini Booster
Laney VC30
Marshall TSL602
Jet City JCA22H
My SoundCloud
Because not everyone that buys the singles buys the album. It spins out the marketing for that album and gives x more chances for people to hear about the band. If bands just release the album and leave it at that, they only get one chance for people to hear about it, and most of the songs will go unheard by anyone that doesn't buy the album.
because marketing
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
I agree with OP, it is pretty dumb. I think it's because of marketing or something. B-Sides are a bit obscure now because of the digital age.
Also, some people still like Vinyl records, and the thrill of collecting them.
"(...) My hope will be in Zion, as I strife through a world so cold..."
There's been quite a few bands where I haven't liked the first song or single I heard by them, but after hearing more really started to like them. They're a bit outdated in the youtube age but still not pointless
New single after album release = single discussed in music magazines/played on radio stations = more potential sales of said album

simples.
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Pooping is well good though, to be fair.

I've got a handle on the fiction.

I'm losing my grip, 'cos I'm losing my fingers.
Not everyone buys an album the day it comes out.

Several singles = extended exposure for the album.

These days digital downloads are huge, so singles can generate a considerable amount of sales.
obligatory lol spotify do you even torrent
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.
Quote by Burgery
obligatory lol spotify do you even torrent

lol torrent, have you even been sued by Lars Ulrich when you were 14
>metallica

dis nigga

and spotify streams everything in 160kbps or something and while their collection of music is pretty good it's not big enough

**** that noise

also annoying interface
Quote by korinaflyingv
Last edited by Burgery at Jun 25, 2013,
That's what happens when you listen to mainstream crap.
ESP Edwards Explorer - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD V-300 - DiMarzio D Activator
ESP LTD EC-401 - DiMarzio D Activator
Ibanez RG2EX2 - DiMarzio Super Distortion / LiquiFire
Hughes and Kettner Switchblade 100
BOSS NS-2
Hardwire Polyphonic Tuner
Generates interest for the album.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
bands put other songs on singles, like Marigold on Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana
Quote by TheGuitarGuyBr
Also, some people still like Vinyl records, and the thrill of collecting them.

lol, thrill.

in electronic music the standard is to release singles and albums come around far less often or not at all, so i guess some rockist labels think they have enough cross-over appeal to get electronic fans to buy their singles. but it is marketing, i suppose.

some singles are really interesting and well released, with good b-sides, remixes, etc i guess.
CuSO4

"I don't have an instrument, I don't have a great voice, I just have some nice clothes maybe." paul rutherford
Quote by ehbacon
bands put other songs on singles, like Marigold on Heart Shaped Box by Nirvana

otherwise known as B-Sides, but going along with what everyone else has said B-Sides are rare in this day and age
Quote by naedauuf
Shit working 24 hours a week at $12 an hour makes me rich?

BOW BEFORE ME PEASANTS.
Years ago bands used to release singles that weren't on the album, people had to buy it all to hear everything.

Quote by Hereiwas
lol, thrill.

in electronic music the standard is to release singles and albums come around far less often or not at all, so i guess some rockist labels think they have enough cross-over appeal to get electronic fans to buy their singles. but it is marketing, i suppose.

some singles are really interesting and well released, with good b-sides, remixes, etc i guess.

I thought they released more singles because it's easier for people to mix singles into live DJing than it is an album.
Last edited by Malchius at Jun 25, 2013,
The exposure for the album is increased over a longer period of time by doing this, usually singles are put out with a music video meaning that once the album is out, people who liked the single that was on the video can then go and buy the album.